IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

34 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Um,  what ep you on? Sounds like you've missed something.

The latest. Last we saw her she had a conversation with her husband saying something like "I'm not fleeing, I'm staying on earth". We saw a shot of her in her office alone having a drink, then

Spoiler

eros smashed into earth.

1 minute ago, Mentazm said:

The latest. Last we saw her she had a conversation with her husband saying something like "I'm not fleeing, I'm staying on earth". We saw a shot of her in her office alone having a drink, then

Hide contents

eros smashed into earth.

There's your mistake.

Spoiler

Eros crashed into Venus.

It wasn't quite as clear as it should have been, but:

Spoiler

Miller convinced 'Julie' to divert Eros and it crashed into Venus instead..

It did appear Avasarala was waiting for it to hit while laid on her roof, but the next shot was Eros spiralling towards a brown planet.

Then the kid Miller bonded with and (separately) Fred Johnson were watching a news report that had text (briefly) onscreen about it heading towards Venus.

E3A9OIv.jpg

It was mentioned specifically in the latest ep though.

To be fair, there was no spoken dialogue about it, all the text was small and/or only onscreen briefly while panning across (and we hadn't seen many establishing shots of Earth and how polluted it may or may not be now..) so it wasn't that explicit..

Miller mentioned the change in his conversation, but I don't think there was acknowledgement from her that she'd do it.

6 minutes ago, MDY said:

To be fair, there was no spoken dialogue about it, all the text was small and/or only onscreen briefly while panning across (and we hadn't seen many establishing shots of Earth and how polluted it may or may not be now..) so it wasn't that explicit..

Spoiler

In the exact same episode you see Eros crash into Venus you see the missiles launched by Earth from space, which looks like it does now.

They also say 

Spoiler

Venus a lot this episode. Like, "We're modifying a science ship to go look at Venus, where the Protomolecule crashed, you know, last episode". There was an entire scene with Avasarala and her scientist buddy talking about trying to get him on the ship, to Venus, to inspect the Protomolecule crash, which is on Venus.

It's... uh, not subtle.

This sounds promising:

I know they're only just finishing the post-production on the end of the season, so there's a good chance we'll be in the bizarre position of the first month of the show being a US exclusive, but Netflix dumping the entire thing as a big binge pile before the US gets to the end.

Great ep.

Some noticeable changes for book readers, but I think they made sense.

Spoiler

The show doesn't have the time to focus on Prax's depressingly long and fruitless search back on Ganymede. Much easier to have him turn up at Tycho and hook up with the Roci crew that way. Holden's also not got the level of fame he has in the books, so it's understandable that Prax wouldn't recognise him.

I love Drummer.

I tried to find a gif from *that scene*, but could only find this partial one :(

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Fucking badass :D

My other half can't stand Drummer for some reason, but I think she's terrific.

They're doing exceedingly well at adapting the material for TV, as much as I miss the extended Prax stuff it'd be hard to do given he's so inside his own head through it. And they're using the extra screen time it frees up to set up all the OPA infighting that the first few books didn't cover.

20 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Great ep.

Some noticeable changes for book readers, but I think they made sense.

Reveal hidden contents

The show doesn't have the time to focus on Prax's depressingly long and fruitless search back on Ganymede. Much easier to have him turn up at Tycho and hook up with the Roci crew that way. Holden's also not got the level of fame he has in the books, so it's understandable that Prax wouldn't recognise him.

Yup the "condensed edit" of his story def works better for TV.

I might have to stop watching as I've not had much time to read and I think by next week they'll have caught up with me

A bit of a set-up episode this week, but I did like the very literal representation of why being Captain Idealist isn't always the best option. Also getting some sweet Avasarala/ Bobby stuff, and the whole Arbhoghast stuff is great.

Escalations will escalatify next week I think. I've read the episode synopses for the rest of the season and using my Book Reader powers I know where it's going...

Another good ep this week.

Avasarala was great, as always, and I really like Bobbie.

As a book reader, I'm actually wondering where certain things are going:

Spoiler

Errinwright has confessed to Avasarala? And now the blame is on Mars for the protomolecule supersoldiers?

OK, it could still be Earth, not Mars, and Errinwright is just BSing about that, not wanting to admit *everything*... But even so, he's confessed to Avasarala?!

Oh well. I suppose the whole thing with UN Admiral Nguyen can (and must!) still happen, even without Errinwright still pulling the strings.

Also: Didn't the book have video of the "monster" from Bobbie's suit? That's been dropped here, with Bobbie just remembering it, and with Avasarala getting actual info from Errinwright.

Book/ show speculation spoilers for all of the stuff available.

Spoiler

I reckon they're shifting it so Mao has actually gone over to the Martians with his tech, which will probably start bringing some of the Martian politics of NG and BA into the storyline earlier so it doesn't come quite so much out of nowhere. I reckon Nguyen will have someone off Errinwright and get Bobbie and Avasarala onto Mao's yacht before the realise who he works for so they can take them off the board.

It's all speculation mind; I'm really excited at the way the show is doing this differently, it's not like GoT where they were somewhat obligated to follow the plot and structure of the books.

Great ep :)

I think I love TV Bobbie more than Book Bobbie.

Spoiler

A well-deserved beat down for that dodgy Captain!

And then:

Avasarala: "Sergeant Draper, when I said that I wanted your help, I didn't mean create a diplomatic incident."

Bobbie: "You should have been more specific."

Loved the Roci stuff, and how Alex talks to the ship.

SPOILERS FOR THE BOOKS:

Spoiler

Ah, so now know how the TV series is going to get Avasarala and Bobbie onto Mao's yacht.

Interesting departure having Bobbie claim asylum. I assume they'll have a way around her trip to Mars in a few seasons.

I think you're right, @Spacehost, about the reason for getting the Martians involved in the project. Mao doesn't seem to have gone over to Mars, as the tech still seems up for grabs, but having Mars actually know of it (instead of "WTF Sgt. Draper! That's some freaky gun camera footage! Sorry we didn't believe you!") does help bring the Martian stuff in earlier.

The so-called "Chaplain" seems to have been combined with the intelligence guy from the books, and then turned into an arsehole.