IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

What?

It had been bugging me slightly when it all kicked off on Ganymede why the Martian Captain guy said "I can't believe we're doing this" as I didn't have a clue what he meant. Guess that's cleared up. What I'm not sure about is who was shooting at the mirror, and why.

I do love this series though, probably my most looked forward to show each week. Shame there's only two episodes left.

On 20 April 2017 at 07:39, JohnC said:

Oh man.

Reveal hidden contents

The Arboghast!

"I gave the protomolecule to Fred Johnson" :lol:

That bit made me chuckle, too. 

'Oh, hai Holden! I gave the protomolecule to Fred Johnson, who just lost the one man on his station who had any detailed knowledge of said molecule. Not to worry, I'm sure he can muddle through.'

I mean, what could possibly go wrong, Naomi? 

I believe people complained that Avasarala wasn't sweary enough in S1 so they allowed it in S2.

The finale was fantastic. Some beautiful cinematography and vfx and touching moments too.

However, what was the meaning of the doc touching the grow light in the canteen? Was it literally his eureka moment thinking about the solution?

9 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

However, what was the meaning of the doc touching the grow light in the canteen? Was it literally his eureka moment thinking about the solution?

Spoiler

Yeah, it's how he realised thingy was after the radiation and he could lure it with another source, like the plants being attracted to the light. 

Decent final episode even if it was just essentially two scenes of

people being stuck in rooms while trying to figure a way out of it.

A question:

Why was Amos asking Cortazar (?) about his emotional castration - does Amos think that's what happened to him?

A minor point I know.

Also I find any mention of Fred Johnson to be amusing as it's probably the most hilariously boring name any character has ever had in anything ever.

So, I said I was pausing this until I finished the book. This was pissing me off as I don't get much time to read these days and was only coming up for half way through. I was thinking, how the fuck can they fit the 2nd half of this book into 3 episodes when Season 1 took 12 eps for half of Leviathan Wakes? Turns out the hooky digital copy I have has the book twice for some reason so finished it last night when I got to 50% :doh:

Wish I'd realised this earlier as I could have finished the book and caught up during the week but now I'll have to wait until at least next week before I get time to watch. Serves me right for reading a hooky copy lol

17 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

What's the deal with the swearing in season 2?

Not complaining about it - it fits the books, especially Avasarala - just confused that a Syfy show would allow 2 or 3 "fucks" per episode.

SyFy changed their Standards & Practises guidelines early last year so shows they broadcast could have more swearing. Came too late to alter Season 1 of The Expanse but most of the stuff they're paying for has a lot more free reign.

You're probably fine to read Leviathan Wakes, The Butcher of Anderson Station and Drive (which is only available on the SyFy website for now). You could start Caliban's War but you'll need to stop about the place they reach in the finale with Holden and the crew, which is give-or-take Chapter 29. It's getting less and less clear cut where the books and show overlap, though.

I can't wait for Season 3 now, knowing what sort of shit is going to go down in it.

Unrelated Season 2 space battle awesomeness:

Spoiler

Love how Martian battle lighting is blue for combat, red for standby. Because the red planet is the good guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just binged Season 2. That scene in The 'Home' episode was just amazing television. Cannot wait for season three, and contemplating reading the books... if the show show is this good the source material must be great.

I love the books.

7 hours ago, hub2 said:

Just binged Season 2. That scene in The 'Home' episode was just amazing television. Cannot wait for season three, and contemplating reading the books... if the show show is this good the source material must be great.

The books are great.

11 hours ago, hub2 said:

Might want to spoiler tag that video as Season 2 isn't out in the UK yet.

Edit- cheers dude, even as Book Reader Scum I knew that bit was coming but was still blown away when I saw how they did it, so I'd like to save the surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

I've skipped pages of this thread and moved the window so I can't see the last post, just so I could say how astoundingly good this is.

I finished S4 House of Cards and needed something to tie me over to 5, so was catching up on Designated Survivor. Dear Lord though, dull as dishwasher. So remembered I liked the first couple of this and am up to episode 9 of the first season. It feels like everything matters in this show, and so I'm completely gripped. I love the danger inherent to space flight, that's clearly how it should be. And it's chock full of politics and characters I've quickly come to like, even stereotype grizzled alcoholic cop with 1/3 of a buzz cut. There's a palpable tension I've not seen since early BSG, I reckon (GoT doesn't count, because you're more surprised when people survive a scene, not when they die). 

Was choking back tears when 

Spoiler

The Butcher attacked the station and the dad is dead in space, clutching his daughter, especially after the reason for the protest was revealed

Cos I'm getting old and soft as shite.

Brilliant, just brilliant.