IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

If one of the current heads of Nestle thinks that water is not a human right (allegedly) then I don't have an issue with scifi governments supposedly  restricting it in the future, for me it's not too much of a leap.

I've seen Leviathan Wakes in every bookshop up I walked into  over the last year  until last weekend when I went out specifically to get it, hah, typical.

6 hours ago, lolly said:

If one of the current heads of Nestle thinks that water is not a human right (allegedly) then I don't have an issue with scifi governments supposedly  restricting it in the future, for me it's not too much of a leap.

Yeah good point, I could believe that. If there's some kind of price fixing though, the viewer is left to fill in the blanks themselves. So far anyway.

I'd well believe it but sometimes these things can be done with a level of slickness that makes them easy to consume and while you recognise the cliches they're that well done they slide on by, depending on your tolerance of course.

Bit like Justin Cronin's vampire trilogy.

The show  looks the part, the world has a lived in look which doesn't always rely on having standoffs in what's obviously a disused steelworks  with "baddies" (not that I've seen  so far)and as people mentioned doesn't overburden you with every fact explained.

Yeah I read the first book after watching the series and it's a bit crap, everything is very peril-less.

The series actually improves on it by giving everything a bit more room to breathe and more opportunities for character development and drama, for example in the book they end up chasing and yelling at the secret ship that just blew them up on radio which leaves them alive to break the conspiracy for no reason at all, in the series they get disabled and knocked out which gets them ignored, and have to race against time to stop an 02 leak giving it a bit of drama and in doing so learn a bit about a crew members background and whether they trust them. Things that in the books are introduced earlier and foreshadowed better.

The action scenes are a bit limp though, something in the editing or cinematography.

On 15/11/2016 at 22:11, Mr Cochese said:

I might have a watch of this, though frankly the first book is basically an airport novel stitched together from every space opera cliche ever. I actually started to devise a drinking game while reading it.

That's pretty much what the cover blurb implies - something like 'The nearest thing to a Hollywood Sci-Fi blockbuster you can read' or something to that effect, as I recall.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this a couple of weeks back. I thought the first episode was a bit meh - it reminded me of the below-decks, lurkers stuff from Babylon 5 when you'd get a dull episode where Mr Garibaldi investigates a drug ring or something.

Anyway, I thought I'd stick with it and give it a chance, and by episode three I was well and truly hooked. Really looking forward to series 2 now.

12 hours ago, Phelan said:

I am half way through episode four. The space battle is actually fucking epic.

Started watching this at the weekend, 

Am on ep 3, so there's a

Spoiler

space battle

then? ta for that 

@And As the guidelines say, spoilers are fair game after 8pm the day after transmission, and this is over a year old! You might want to avoid the thread until you're done if you're worried about spoilers, either that or enjoy a thread full of endless spoiler tags.:P

On 05/12/2016 at 11:50, FishyFish said:

I watched this a couple of weeks back. I thought the first episode was a bit meh - it reminded me of the below-decks, lurkers stuff from Babylon 5 when you'd get a dull episode where Mr Garibaldi investigates a drug ring or something.

:lol:

That's such a good description - it's exactly what the trailer makes me think of.

19 minutes ago, And said:

Yeah,  fair enough. I was just browsing, saw thread, clicked, immediate regret. I'm not coming back in until I finish. 

You're surprised that there is a space battle? Really? If there was a program most likely to have a space battle award this would win it easily.