IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

Finished the series yesterday. It was enjoyable, but I thought they chose a very odd place to stop, especially given that they're moving into the next book in series 2. Unless they make more episodes, it seems like they're going to have to rush a lot to fit it all in.

I've also been listening to the books on audible, and the first three are great. But I had to return the fourth book after listening to it for an hour or so. They changed narrators and the new one is utterly abysmal. It sounds like they used an automated text to speech program.

14 hours ago, And said:

Was he in fringe? I only watched the first couple of series but don't remember him in it at all? 

The least realistic special effect is Thomas Jane's hair. He's like a pound shop Christopher lambert. 

One forgettable fringe and one memorable one?

For the record I think Miller's hair is a triumph. Trying to capture a completely unknowable future aesthetic without seeming either ridiculous or too conservative is a virtual impossibility, but Miller's hair manages it with aplomb.

Been waiting for ages for this to be available in the UK and I wasn't disappointed. A very, very solid attempt at a "serious" space opera, probably the best since Babylon 5. Appreciated the fact it didn't patronise the viewer. Good script, very believably realised world, nicely shot, excellent aesthetic design throughout, only let down somewhat by some slightly flat characters and a tendency for them to spend too long explaining the plot to each other in the middle of the season.

Very much looking forward to season 2!

14 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I've also been listening to the books on audible, and the first three are great. But I had to return the fourth book after listening to it for an hour or so. They changed narrators and the new one is utterly abysmal. It sounds like they used an automated text to speech program.

Yeah, he wasn't a popular choice. They went back to the previous guy for Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes.

Season 2 is three episodes longer than Season 1 and it looks like they're going to spend the first bit of S2 catching up with the end of the first book.

• 2 weeks later...

With other series that have done very well for them after airing the first series with some delay (I'm thinking Rick and Morty, Orphan Black, probably a few others) they appear to have done what they can to air subsequent seasons immediately, internationally at least. Think they'll do the same here.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

So far they've just snuck in some references that will mean nothing to you out of context. Avasarala is the biggest import but as she appeared in the second book and she's got a new role in the story here you'll be fine. 

Thanks, I'll probably continue with it then.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm re-reading the first book just now and it's surprising how much stuff that I had I assumed was always in there was actually created by the show. Often it's emphasising character points that the books introduced later but there are a lot of beats and even big things in the structure that are inventions of the series.

That's interesting. Like what? I'd just read the first two books back to back before I watched the show (and was reading the third while watching) so mainly I was noticing the things I thought they got 'wrong'. Like the characterisation of pretty much everyone at the beginning.

The main differences I can think of, off the top of my head, are:

1) The early introduction of Avasarala. This was a definite positive, and worked really well. Especially as Shohreh Aghdashloo is always awesome.

2)

Spoiler

Fred blabbing to the system about <something I can't remember>, instead of Holden as it was in the book.

This was IMO a negative, as it messed with something that was a major part of Holden's character.

Nailed through this over the weekend, really enjoyed it.

Question:

Will the relationship between Julie Mao and Miller ever be explained? I feel like I've missed something, the only clue was some throwaway comment by the Jamaican-Afrikaans union gangster guy that the two were in love. Were they? There was no hint of it in the flashbacks involving Julie.

He is in love with her, because he's a sad sack loser of a detective with nobody in his life. The book handles that a bit better - it's obvious that other people have cottoned on to Miller's crush long before he actually realises that's what's going on, and it's part of his gradual realisation that he's just a complete joke. There's some internal monologue as time goes on where he comes to terms with the fact that the real Julie would've almost certainly thought he was a joke, too. 

Which the show unfortunately elided, but you've got to make cuts somewhere.

Finished it! Just read the first page of comments mostly about the trailers before the show started. The interiors are without a doubt the worst part of the show, some of the ship seats are basically gaming seats with those tanks of gunk stuck to the back!

I overall thought it was really good, and by far the best thing I've seen on scy-fy. Two more weeks to the new series!