IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Finished it! Just read the first page of comments mostly about the trailers before the show started. The interiors are without a doubt the worst part of the show, some of the ship seats are basically gaming seats with those tanks of gunk stuck to the back!

They fly the ships with Saitek X-55 controllers too. Well, not the Martian gunship which is all touch screens but the Knight certainly used them. Just placed on top of the console (desk) that the pilot sat at. And given it's a right handed stick it's odd that they'd put the throttle quadrant on the right hand side.

Was off on holiday for the past week. My intention was to re-watch S1 before S2 starts. And I did, but I also ended up reading Leviathan Awakes during the day and watching the show at night. Really interesting to see the differences in how the story progresses. I'm sure these were discussed earlier in the thread (will look tomorrow)

Really surprised at S1 barely being more than the 1st half of the book. And Miller

:(

8 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Was off on holiday for the past week. My intention was to re-watch S1 before S2 starts. And I did, but I also ended up reading Leviathan Awakes during the day and watching the show at night. Really interesting to see the differences in how the story progresses. I'm sure these were discussed earlier in the thread (will look tomorrow)

Hide contents

Really surprised at S1 barely being more than the 1st half of the book. And Miller

:(

I really think the show does a better job in some ways than the book, and I say that as a massive fan of the books.

This close to S2 you should try and hold off reading Caliban's War until the series finishes, I think they've managed to remix the story of LW and CW together across two seasons so it should all line up nicely.

On 09/12/2016 at 10:23, Scribblor said:

I've also been listening to the books on audible, and the first three are great. But I had to return the fourth book after listening to it for an hour or so. They changed narrators and the new one is utterly abysmal. It sounds like they used an automated text to speech program.

FYI Orbit Books have hired Jefferson Mays, who has done all the other books, to record a better version of Cibbola Burn. Should be out in March.

I'm wondering whether I should give this a go. I love science fiction but have quite a low tolerance these days for 'TV quality' stuff, if you know what I mean. Blandly good-looking actors who can't act, uniforms that look like they're fresh from the costume department, cheap CGI. In SF terms only Battlestar ever transcended into 'high quality box set' territory  but even that I hated by the end. I've always loved stuff like TNG and DS9 but, although I also loved Babylon 5 at the time, no way could I watch it now. 

So, my vague question is, would I like this?

34 minutes ago, Pob said:

I'm wondering whether I should give this a go. I love science fiction but have quite a low tolerance these days for 'TV quality' stuff, if you know what I mean. Blandly good-looking actors who can't act, uniforms that look like they're fresh from the costume department, cheap CGI. In SF terms only Battlestar ever transcended into 'high quality box set' territory  but even that I hated by the end. I've always loved stuff like TNG and DS9 but, although I also loved Babylon 5 at the time, no way could I watch it now. 

You might. The production values are pretty good for an SF show, but it takes a while to get going.

On 1/30/2017 at 08:17, cassidy said:

Is this going up on Netflix week by week? Seeing as S2 starts this week.  

On 1/30/2017 at 09:00, Spacehost said:

Doesn't look like it. Netflix are usually pretty cagey but they would've given a date by now for the first episode landing if it was.

On 1/30/2017 at 09:51, cassidy said:

That sucks.  Other means then. 

Bollocks :(

Netflix UK has week-by-week first run UK rights to various other things this season, why not this? :(

On 1/30/2017 at 10:51, Pob said:

I think it's the best TV SF since B5 and BSG.

It *does* start slowly, but i think you should give it a try.

On 30/01/2017 at 12:17, Mentazm said:

The CGI is by far the best space sequences I've seen on TV. It even puts most films to shame tbh. The rest of the show varies pretty widely, esp the interiors as has been mentioned plenty.

Although I'd also say that the CGI is another thing in the first episode that's mixed bag. There's the cool zero-g hair followed by the crappy drone chase shot. Like every else, it settles down into awesomeness quite quickly.

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/other/when-will-season-1-2-the-expanse-be-on-netflix/

For those in the United Kingdom and all of the other regions that have The Expanse as an original, you will be getting season 2. Sadly, though, you won’t be getting it on a weekly basis like you do with many other shows like Reign, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Better Call Saul. We know this because the February 2017 preview has been announced and The Expanses is nowhere in sight.

Instead, you’ll get them all in one dump likely after the series has just finished which by our calculations is around April/May 2017.

Fuck that! 

I'll be watching it week by week...

Yeah, the story takes over pretty quickly. Still want one of their PDA's though :) 

On 1/30/2017 at 00:39, Spacehost said:

I think they've managed to remix the story of LW and CW together across two seasons so it should all line up nicely.

I remember reading somewhere in the thread that this was the case (I'm sure!). Anyway, already been parts in CW that were fairly early in S1. I think it makes a bit more sense in the show as it gives a bit more perspective on the tension between the 3 sides. 

3 days to go :D

Loved season 1. Can't wait to binge the second season when it hits Netflix.

Slightly related, but Ty Franck, one of the writers of both the books and the series, wrote for an as of yet unnanounced FROM Software game.

He says it's not Space Souls, so Armored Core then?

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/expanse-writer-franck-on-star-citizen-mass-effect-3-w464385

What about Dark Souls? If you like Darkest Dungeon, you may have a predilection for it.
Yeah, I actually have done some work with From Software so... I'm, like, writing stuff for them, so I'm pretty familiar with the Dark Souls franchise.

You're working with them now, or you've done work for them in the past?
I've done that in the past. It's all under NDA and stuff, but, yeah.

Okay, enough said. We can't wait for Space Souls...
I can guarantee you it is not that.

On 30/01/2017 at 10:51, Pob said:

My standards for TV shows are pretty sky high (mostly prestige stuff like Mad Men, Westworld etc, etc) because I'm a big snob, and I really enjoyed this. It's maybe not up to the standards of the shows I've mentioned, but it easily matches up to Battlestar so far. Definitely worth a try. It's been so nice to have a well put together sci-fi show to watch. It's been too long!