IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

I love Drummer.

Spoiler

Holden should have the same urgency and intensity really, feels like he’s too comfortable sipping coffee when people are starving or and dying left and right.

About Michio

Spoiler

I would have thought they would have something like a laser cutting tool and not saw off an arm with a pen knife 127 hours style.

About the weird prologues

Spoiler

Not sure where they are going faith Duarte.  Obviously, the girl will try to resurrect her brother in the next episode but there won’t be time for much more than that for Duarte.  Have they lined up a sequel movie or something?  

This week’s Ep was aces. Loved so many little moments:

Spoiler

Michio going all 127 hours.

Amos confronting Holden on the hull.

Marco’s 2nd-in-command putting him in his place (for a big expected payoff).

Chrisjen and reporter lass having a mini standoff.

Peeches piling salt on her kibble.

All of it was spot on.

However, this week’s corresponding ‘One Ship’ short was pretty weak. Felt like an ‘actor’s studio’ scene. Very stagey. The other shorts could have worked, with some edits, in their respective episodes. But definitely not this one.

So despite Holden being a gutless, pampered Earther asshole for

Spoiler

not blowing Marco out of the galaxy when he had the chance, it could well work out as the best decision he ever made when I think about it:

Inaros as a martyr could have been way more dangerous if it meant Belters rallied round his loss into a full scale death cult (more than it already was), but with him defeated and humiliated after a bad decision, it seemed to be seeding some doubt and could destabilise his leadership.

Of course Holden wasn't intelligent enough to factor that into why he made the decision and will always be a stupid asshole. But he's a lucky stupid asshole.

On 29/12/2021 at 23:07, monkeydog said:

Is it me or Bobby been really ace this season? I'm not sure if it's because of where the character is, where Frankie is as an actor or a mix or the two.

The Amos bromance in the episodes and the short has been great.

Bobbie is amazing all the way through. My second favourite after Amos, 

I think Frankie Adams has improved massively across the seasons. She was a bit stiff initially (even accounting for Draper’s character), quickly got up to speed, and for the last couple of seasons has just been having fun with it. Shame she’s not in it more often.

Much as I like Cara Gee, I think there’s a tiny bit too much hype around her performance of Drummer, and the character in general.

Halfway through series 5…

Spoiler

Fred is dead. The woman who killed him worked on the Roci. Nobody thinks that maybe she fucked with the ship until Naomi calls and says “the drives been sabotaged” 

How fucking stupid are they all???

Also, Amos German suplexed a guy down a lift shaft FUCK YEAH 

Agreed, lots of nice little scenes in this but while I can see them being able to tie off the immediate arc in one big blowout ep I cant see the same being true of the b-story.

Still, on its own merits a great ep nonetheless. Also another fun bonus short that feels especially appropriate.

No matter how things are set out for the wider arc it seems fairly clear that next weeks episode is going to be fucking extraordinary. I hold out hope for movies, more seasons, spin-offs, everything, but while The Expanse is alive I'm going to appreciate every single second of it. So many fantastic scenes and character interactions that would have made for a fairly boring episode had everything before it not been handled with such great care, attention to detail and love.

Spoiler

Amos and Bobby's chat and then the "with you or WITH you" line was just brilliant, but it was all eclipsed by Drummer, both with Naomi and then Avasarala. She really has grown into a spectacular character.

Feature length episode next week is going to be special!

Yeah, pretty much every single scene in this weeks was entirely dependent on the relationships built up over the whole run to this point. 

Spoiler

In retrospect it's pretty gloomy for most of them - drummer especially, I hadnt really noticed that she's lost her whole family until just now when she was reeling off the list, and I thought 'oh yeah, I suppose that's it huh?'

Spoiler

That episode was just maximum Drummer and I'm here for it.

I do also love how the tension created with Amos and Holden is basically just resolved by Bobby in one scene and Amos is just like "oh, yeah that makes sense." -*shrugs*- "wanna shag I guess?"

Incidentally

Spoiler

One of the problems I think I've had with The Expanse compared to a lot of other shows is I've struggled to connect with the characters on an emotionally resonant level.

There are scenes in Babylon 5 for example where G'Kar will be lamenting the fate of his people where the performance and the writing make the hairs stand up on my neck and me well up a bit, but I can't say I can remember a scene in The Expanse that has made me feel that.

This week though I did: when Drummer said "fuck you!" and broke down it finally got to me. Cara Gee is great.