IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

That was pretty much everything I hoped for.

Spoiler

Took a moment to get in the right mindset, enjoyed it more once I stopped looking for telltale indications as to whether it was truly finishing here or not. As it turns out, they sidestepped the issue of how to tie everything up nice and neatly by.....just not even trying to! And actually I think that was a really smart move. God knows they had plenty of chances to kill people off and didnt.

All the action setpieces were fucking intense, the belter skirmish, the fantastic reveal during that ("oh, nice stealth plating you have there....I'll do you one better!"), the chair drop. Really captured the scariness of combat at extreme velocity in a way they havent for a good while. Also enjoyed the moment Holden holden'd himself into a new job and immediately holden'd himself right back out of it. Again Cara Gee stole that scene though with a single look during her little speech. Scary.

Also, I assume everyone stuck around for the credits?

15 hours ago, Gommy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Also they needed more money for the chair in space bit.  Or to not show it for as long.

It reminded me of those kids game shows where they green screen them.

It seems like the Medina battle could have been an episode in itself, it was sort of hard to follow - and unless I missed something once they stopped the railguns there was pretty much no internal defence inside Medina to deal with?  From the guys who just booby trapped Ceres and were happy to kill their own to do so?

Ep 6 spoilers if you hadn't guessed.

Spoiler

Nah, they'd seized space superiority enough to isolate anyone aboard medina I think. That wouldve changed once the rest of the Inaros fleet returned, which is why they originally meant to capture the guns intact. I was momentarily confused about why bobbie was apologising for blowing up the command bunker until I remembered that last part.

Only disappointment is that there was no mini xray short this week, understandably.

Given the incredibly natural cut off point in terms of what happens in those things the show is based on, could the short term ploy not be to encourage folk to at the very least buy the books that cover the wider things that were happening? I’d love to know if there is a sudden spike in purchases of the largely unadapted books following the ending of the show. 

But that aside, I couldn’t have hoped for a better conclusion to an epic piece of story telling. Some very brave decisions taken all the way through the creation of the show and right now it feels like every part of it has paid off!

I'm wondering if that whilst this is the end of The Expanse it's not the end of a streaming series set in that Universe?

Like The Expanse could end with

Spoiler

The defeat of Marco, the creation of the Transport Union etc

But a new "spin-off" (but really a continuation) focusing on Dog Planet, Duarte and 

Spoiler

Filips escape

could be next on the cards.

Made the mistake of getting into the books last year, and ploughed through them all, and of course I want to see so much more of

Spoiler

Laconia and everything that ends up happening there.

It's so well set up for it and, even though this was clearly a great finale, it also feels (and we know, of course) that there's so much more story to tell.

Yay for the whole thing and boo for there not being more.

Well, they stuck the landing.

Spoiler

I was a bit pissed when they deviated from Pa (Drummer) being Transport Union president, then I actually clapped and cackled when Holden fucking Holdened it up. :lol: 

Almost too much happening in too little space, but they did the work. RIP that salty Belter motherfucker. Glad Marco ate shit.

Duarte’s “fuck off, I’m away to kill god. Goodbye, sluts” message to Marco was superb.

That final throbbing red ring (madam!) and the pseudo-alien ship is just too tantalising. I want more! Mooooorrreeee!

On 21/12/2015 at 22:20, Spacehost said:

Episode 4 is where things really kick off, if they can maintain momentum the way they do in the book from that point on we're in for a hell of a treat.

I fucking told you all!

Well, they did it. The little show that couldn’t be killed delivered a satisfying ending and cemented itself as an all timer sci-fi series. If that’s the end, they nailed it. But I have a strong suspicion we’ll see more of our friends before too long. 

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Maybe we need another petition to save The Expanse. Netflix could buy it. They love spunking money up the wall.

The showrunners have asked fans not to do that. I don’t think it’s been cancelled by Amazon as they have nothing but nice things to say about them. They probably have a plan. Maybe it’s games and comics, maybe they just want to sell their books. Maybe it’s movies. Maybe it’s a spin-off show on another platform. Maybe it’s a spin-off show on Amazon. Maybe it’s nothing. It doesn’t feel like the end though. 

I think they very deliberately planned that, if they got another run after SyFy quit, that they’d adapt up to this point. So it’s not like Amazon has killed the show; they’ve made all the show they had plans to do.

They’ve had core cast signed on this for eight or nine years, they’ll be wanting to go do some more stuff. I think they deserve a break. Maybe not 30 years but…

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

I think they very deliberately planned that, if they got another run after SyFy quit, that they’d adapt up to this point. So it’s not like Amazon has killed the show; they’ve made all the show they had plans to do.

They’ve had core cast signed on this for eight or nine years, they’ll be wanting to go do some more stuff. I think they deserve a break. Maybe not 30 years but…

Yep they’ve always said that. However they’ve also always said the shift for books 7-9 wouldn’t be a problem. Hmm.

28 minutes ago, Moz said:

Yep they’ve always said that. However they’ve also always said the shift for books 7-9 wouldn’t be a problem. Hmm.

Can’t be a problem if you never have to do it :tap forehead:.