IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

Well, they stuck the landing.

Spoiler

I was a bit pissed when they deviated from Pa (Drummer) being Transport Union president, then I actually clapped and cackled when Holden fucking Holdened it up. :lol: 

Almost too much happening in too little space, but they did the work. RIP that salty Belter motherfucker. Glad Marco ate shit.

Duarte’s “fuck off, I’m away to kill god. Goodbye, sluts” message to Marco was superb.

That final throbbing red ring (madam!) and the pseudo-alien ship is just too tantalising. I want more! Mooooorrreeee!

On 21/12/2015 at 22:20, Spacehost said:

Episode 4 is where things really kick off, if they can maintain momentum the way they do in the book from that point on we're in for a hell of a treat.

I fucking told you all!

Well, they did it. The little show that couldn’t be killed delivered a satisfying ending and cemented itself as an all timer sci-fi series. If that’s the end, they nailed it. But I have a strong suspicion we’ll see more of our friends before too long. 

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Maybe we need another petition to save The Expanse. Netflix could buy it. They love spunking money up the wall.

The showrunners have asked fans not to do that. I don’t think it’s been cancelled by Amazon as they have nothing but nice things to say about them. They probably have a plan. Maybe it’s games and comics, maybe they just want to sell their books. Maybe it’s movies. Maybe it’s a spin-off show on another platform. Maybe it’s a spin-off show on Amazon. Maybe it’s nothing. It doesn’t feel like the end though. 

I think they very deliberately planned that, if they got another run after SyFy quit, that they’d adapt up to this point. So it’s not like Amazon has killed the show; they’ve made all the show they had plans to do.

They’ve had core cast signed on this for eight or nine years, they’ll be wanting to go do some more stuff. I think they deserve a break. Maybe not 30 years but…

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

I think they very deliberately planned that, if they got another run after SyFy quit, that they’d adapt up to this point. So it’s not like Amazon has killed the show; they’ve made all the show they had plans to do.

They’ve had core cast signed on this for eight or nine years, they’ll be wanting to go do some more stuff. I think they deserve a break. Maybe not 30 years but…

Yep they’ve always said that. However they’ve also always said the shift for books 7-9 wouldn’t be a problem. Hmm.

28 minutes ago, Moz said:

Yep they’ve always said that. However they’ve also always said the shift for books 7-9 wouldn’t be a problem. Hmm.

Can’t be a problem if you never have to do it :tap forehead:.

1 hour ago, Girth Certificate said:

I was sure they’d teased at the end of an earlier episode that Marco had some 

Hide contents

New scary looking ships coming from the colony. Was that just the one delivering his railguns?

That was resolved in 

Spoiler

A video call with Duarte.   He basically said "Lol. I've closed the gate".

The problem I have with the

Spoiler

Weird dog aliens planet stuff, is that if you assume the books don't exist (because I've never read them so they don't exist and adaptations should never pretend that they do), then you've got a whole plot thread that was given massive amounts of screen time and didn't get concluded with any answers or satisfactory conclusions to its arc - it basically set something up with an opening act for whatever was going on there.

If it's there just as a nod to "book" fans who know more about what is going on there and know where the story goes, then that's a massive failure of adaptation, as it should be able to stand on its own. If they deliberately left it open to segue into another series then it would at least make sense, as otherwise it just took too much screen time away from what's happening with all the other characters and stuff we do know about, for the sake of a "book readers" bit of world building thrown in.

What I'm saying is I really hope they plan to do something with all of that set up, otherwise I feel like it's just "there" without any context.

"Go read the books" is not sufficient follow up, as if these things don't stand on their own as complete stories then you start to feel like you're just getting roped into a franchise marketing exercise. Which I'm not saying it is, but I need closure on my telly screen dammit.

Their reasoning was they didn’t want to drop the protomolecule element from the story and they really like that novella. 

Shankar is now out there saying he and the whole team really want to continue, everyone is on board and it’s just up to Alcon and possibly Amazon. 

I would guess they’re trying to get the budget for movies or get a spin-off greenlit. I’d be really surprised if that was it, at the very very least I’m sure you’ll have a graphic novel or comic which continues the show arc.

There’s a new interview on entertainment weekly with Naren Shankar, here’s the interesting bit when asked if they’re hoping to continue. 

Well, yeah. I mean, we are. It's pretty clear. And it's tricky. There's a lot of juggling that goes into these things, and this is kind of a fine line to walk because you don't want to feel like the whole thing is a setup. You don't want to feel like we're just leaving stuff out there and have no intention of resolving it, but it also gave you a little bit of insight into the why of what is Laconia. 

Well, I mean, look, this has been such a delightful experience. We love the show and we love making the show. Right now, the future really lies with Alcon Television, which is the studio that makes the show, and Amazon, if there is in some form, an appetite for more.

I think from the standpoint of just the pure creative, I think what we tried to do at least was come to a satisfying conclusion of a huge chunk of the story while leaving the door open for more if the appetite and the desire is there. I'm certainly not betraying any confidence to say that Ty, Daniel and I — speaking for ourselves — would love to do it. It would be a remarkable thing to complete the whole book series that way. And I certainly hope we get to do it.

I've only read the first book so I'll join in with the "the books don't exist" group.

However, I read the Laconia stuff as if to say that the protomolecule is still in existence and working its work elsewhere. I'm fine with threads being left open when you've had a multiple season show, because life and the world doesn't always tie everything up nice and neatly

Reading what they're saying in that interview there is very encouraging, as it sounds like their intentions are very clear and they started as they mean to go on, it's just a case of getting it green lit and funded.

Thinking about it, I don't know if the execs/showrunners would have allowed them to waste quite such a substantial part of their short runtime on the dogs-arc if they weren't at least somewhat confident it could pay off later. I dunno how these decisions work with tv studios, but even knowing it is the last series, I can't imagine the moneymen signing off on a version of the show that would risk tanking their ratings by doing that. Might only be the last few eps, but it's still work they paid for afterall.