IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

1 hour ago, Girth Certificate said:

I was sure they’d teased at the end of an earlier episode that Marco had some 

Hide contents

New scary looking ships coming from the colony. Was that just the one delivering his railguns?

That was resolved in 

Spoiler

A video call with Duarte.   He basically said "Lol. I've closed the gate".

The problem I have with the

Spoiler

Weird dog aliens planet stuff, is that if you assume the books don't exist (because I've never read them so they don't exist and adaptations should never pretend that they do), then you've got a whole plot thread that was given massive amounts of screen time and didn't get concluded with any answers or satisfactory conclusions to its arc - it basically set something up with an opening act for whatever was going on there.

If it's there just as a nod to "book" fans who know more about what is going on there and know where the story goes, then that's a massive failure of adaptation, as it should be able to stand on its own. If they deliberately left it open to segue into another series then it would at least make sense, as otherwise it just took too much screen time away from what's happening with all the other characters and stuff we do know about, for the sake of a "book readers" bit of world building thrown in.

What I'm saying is I really hope they plan to do something with all of that set up, otherwise I feel like it's just "there" without any context.

"Go read the books" is not sufficient follow up, as if these things don't stand on their own as complete stories then you start to feel like you're just getting roped into a franchise marketing exercise. Which I'm not saying it is, but I need closure on my telly screen dammit.

Their reasoning was they didn’t want to drop the protomolecule element from the story and they really like that novella. 

Shankar is now out there saying he and the whole team really want to continue, everyone is on board and it’s just up to Alcon and possibly Amazon. 

I would guess they’re trying to get the budget for movies or get a spin-off greenlit. I’d be really surprised if that was it, at the very very least I’m sure you’ll have a graphic novel or comic which continues the show arc.

There’s a new interview on entertainment weekly with Naren Shankar, here’s the interesting bit when asked if they’re hoping to continue. 

Well, yeah. I mean, we are. It's pretty clear. And it's tricky. There's a lot of juggling that goes into these things, and this is kind of a fine line to walk because you don't want to feel like the whole thing is a setup. You don't want to feel like we're just leaving stuff out there and have no intention of resolving it, but it also gave you a little bit of insight into the why of what is Laconia. 

Well, I mean, look, this has been such a delightful experience. We love the show and we love making the show. Right now, the future really lies with Alcon Television, which is the studio that makes the show, and Amazon, if there is in some form, an appetite for more.

I think from the standpoint of just the pure creative, I think what we tried to do at least was come to a satisfying conclusion of a huge chunk of the story while leaving the door open for more if the appetite and the desire is there. I'm certainly not betraying any confidence to say that Ty, Daniel and I — speaking for ourselves — would love to do it. It would be a remarkable thing to complete the whole book series that way. And I certainly hope we get to do it.

I've only read the first book so I'll join in with the "the books don't exist" group.

However, I read the Laconia stuff as if to say that the protomolecule is still in existence and working its work elsewhere. I'm fine with threads being left open when you've had a multiple season show, because life and the world doesn't always tie everything up nice and neatly

Reading what they're saying in that interview there is very encouraging, as it sounds like their intentions are very clear and they started as they mean to go on, it's just a case of getting it green lit and funded.

Thinking about it, I don't know if the execs/showrunners would have allowed them to waste quite such a substantial part of their short runtime on the dogs-arc if they weren't at least somewhat confident it could pay off later. I dunno how these decisions work with tv studios, but even knowing it is the last series, I can't imagine the moneymen signing off on a version of the show that would risk tanking their ratings by doing that. Might only be the last few eps, but it's still work they paid for afterall.

12 hours ago, Moz said:

I don't usually watch behind the scenes stuff with actors in shows like this as it often feels like it breaks the magic of the immersion a little bit when you see the actors outside of a show, but I made an exception just now and what a lovely bunch they are. The excitement is infectious. Especially Tipper's.

Also in that video

Spoiler

I find it really interesting what Tipper was saying about how they wanted to play the scene of Naomi's grief after making the decision, especially after it follows on from the whole thing of Holden making a decision for her earlier. I think the way they did it in the end did work really well though, because as they point out she's trying to be alone and get away, but her "family" (in the form of Holden) is there to help her through her grief, but the camera is always, always on her and her face during the scene, so it works.

Bit disappointed with that, tbh.

Spoiler

The A-story was good, though some of the action scenes were a bit weak. The marine bits on the ring station felt awkward to me. All the ship-to/ship stuff was fantastic though.

I didn’t like the Inaros conclusion, as I never fully understood the ring entities, feel they’ve not been remotely well explained enough, and all feel a bit unnecessary (and easily avoided - you just need to unionise).

And then there was the entire Laconia thread, with the proto-dogs, proto-zombies, Duarte and the proto-ship. Just too many complete unknowns to make this remotely satisfying. Absolutely no understanding of the ship, who it belongs too, or really why it matters. There are thousands of worlds, who cares about just one?

For me, the Expanse was three amazing seasons, and three decent ones. Seasons 2 and 3 will always be my favourite seasons of any TV sci-fi ever.

Edit: Oh, and I thought Naomi’s screen of sci-fi character names was waaaaay over the top and just took me out of the scene.

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Bit disappointed with that, tbh.

Reveal hidden contents

The A-story was good, though some of the action scenes were a bit weak. The marine bits on the ring station felt awkward to me. All the ship-to/ship stuff was fantastic though.

I didn’t like the Inaros conclusion, as I never fully understood the ring entities, feel they’ve not been remotely well explained enough, and all feel a bit unnecessary (and easily avoided - you just need to unionise).

And then there was the entire Laconia thread, with the proto-dogs, proto-zombies, Duarte and the proto-ship. Just too many complete unknowns to make this remotely satisfying. Absolutely no understanding of the ship, who it belongs too, or really why it matters. There are thousands of worlds, who cares about just one?

For me, the Expanse was three amazing seasons, and three decent ones. Seasons 2 and 3 will always be my favourite seasons of any TV sci-fi ever.

Edit: Oh, and I thought Naomi’s screen of sci-fi character names was waaaaay over the top and just took me out of the scene.

Spoiler

Avoiding the ring entities is easy *if* humanity works together 

8 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Thinking about it, I don't know if the execs/showrunners would have allowed them to waste quite such a substantial part of their short runtime on the dogs-arc if they weren't at least somewhat confident it could pay off later. I dunno how these decisions work with tv studios, but even knowing it is the last series, I can't imagine the moneymen signing off on a version of the show that would risk tanking their ratings by doing that. Might only be the last few eps, but it's still work they paid for afterall.

I don't think they intended to create a cliffhanger to rile up fans into a frenzy, as they've asked fans not to pester Amazon/Alcon about it. If anything I think they're trying to get the execs excited about a more out-there sci-fi direction in the  wake of Dune's success.

About as good a finale as a show like this could have, it was very good. An extra 10mins might have helped, or none of the wee lassy and healer-dog stuff, but still great job all involved. 

1 hour ago, Alask said:

Selling Amos short there Moz!

Hide contents

Amos saves 12 billion people from starving to death on account of him being Prax’s best buddy.

Ha yes also this. And loads of other little bits. I was trying to limit myself to a single point for each in the last episode specifically.