IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

12 hours ago, Moz said:

I don't usually watch behind the scenes stuff with actors in shows like this as it often feels like it breaks the magic of the immersion a little bit when you see the actors outside of a show, but I made an exception just now and what a lovely bunch they are. The excitement is infectious. Especially Tipper's.

Also in that video

Spoiler

I find it really interesting what Tipper was saying about how they wanted to play the scene of Naomi's grief after making the decision, especially after it follows on from the whole thing of Holden making a decision for her earlier. I think the way they did it in the end did work really well though, because as they point out she's trying to be alone and get away, but her "family" (in the form of Holden) is there to help her through her grief, but the camera is always, always on her and her face during the scene, so it works.

Bit disappointed with that, tbh.

Spoiler

The A-story was good, though some of the action scenes were a bit weak. The marine bits on the ring station felt awkward to me. All the ship-to/ship stuff was fantastic though.

I didn’t like the Inaros conclusion, as I never fully understood the ring entities, feel they’ve not been remotely well explained enough, and all feel a bit unnecessary (and easily avoided - you just need to unionise).

And then there was the entire Laconia thread, with the proto-dogs, proto-zombies, Duarte and the proto-ship. Just too many complete unknowns to make this remotely satisfying. Absolutely no understanding of the ship, who it belongs too, or really why it matters. There are thousands of worlds, who cares about just one?

For me, the Expanse was three amazing seasons, and three decent ones. Seasons 2 and 3 will always be my favourite seasons of any TV sci-fi ever.

Edit: Oh, and I thought Naomi’s screen of sci-fi character names was waaaaay over the top and just took me out of the scene.

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Bit disappointed with that, tbh.

Reveal hidden contents

The A-story was good, though some of the action scenes were a bit weak. The marine bits on the ring station felt awkward to me. All the ship-to/ship stuff was fantastic though.

I didn’t like the Inaros conclusion, as I never fully understood the ring entities, feel they’ve not been remotely well explained enough, and all feel a bit unnecessary (and easily avoided - you just need to unionise).

And then there was the entire Laconia thread, with the proto-dogs, proto-zombies, Duarte and the proto-ship. Just too many complete unknowns to make this remotely satisfying. Absolutely no understanding of the ship, who it belongs too, or really why it matters. There are thousands of worlds, who cares about just one?

For me, the Expanse was three amazing seasons, and three decent ones. Seasons 2 and 3 will always be my favourite seasons of any TV sci-fi ever.

Edit: Oh, and I thought Naomi’s screen of sci-fi character names was waaaaay over the top and just took me out of the scene.

Spoiler

Avoiding the ring entities is easy *if* humanity works together 

8 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Thinking about it, I don't know if the execs/showrunners would have allowed them to waste quite such a substantial part of their short runtime on the dogs-arc if they weren't at least somewhat confident it could pay off later. I dunno how these decisions work with tv studios, but even knowing it is the last series, I can't imagine the moneymen signing off on a version of the show that would risk tanking their ratings by doing that. Might only be the last few eps, but it's still work they paid for afterall.

I don't think they intended to create a cliffhanger to rile up fans into a frenzy, as they've asked fans not to pester Amazon/Alcon about it. If anything I think they're trying to get the execs excited about a more out-there sci-fi direction in the  wake of Dune's success.

About as good a finale as a show like this could have, it was very good. An extra 10mins might have helped, or none of the wee lassy and healer-dog stuff, but still great job all involved. 

1 hour ago, Alask said:

Selling Amos short there Moz!

Hide contents

Amos saves 12 billion people from starving to death on account of him being Prax’s best buddy.

Ha yes also this. And loads of other little bits. I was trying to limit myself to a single point for each in the last episode specifically.

One thing that struck me about the finale...

Spoiler

I know they had "Shepard, C" in the list of marines/soldiers attacking Medina, but for me that's not the only "Mass Effect" thing in the finale. That whole assault on Medina (once they'd landed) was basically a shortened version of the assault on the Shadow Broker base from Mass Effect 2. I'm not grumbling, I thought it was awesome.  :) 

On 14/01/2022 at 03:03, Gommy said:

Also they needed more money for the chair in space bit.  Or to not show it for as long.

I'd take extending a scene a little beyond its vfx chops when it's that brutal a sequence

Spoiler

and its a great Amos moment

There was never any explanation as to why Holden was turning a sickly shade of grey through that whole last series, was there? It looked so unnatural I was sure it must be protomolecule related.

6 minutes ago, Darwock said:

There was never any explanation as to why Holden was turning a sickly shade of grey through that whole last series, was there? It looked so unnatural I was sure it must be protomolecule related.

Steven Strait lost weight for the role to show the stress that Holden is under.

https://gizmodo.com/the-expanses-holden-and-naomi-explain-how-love-can-endu-1848182570

Steven Strait:

He’s just under tremendous strain. And I wanted to show that, not only just internalizing the the constant doubt of “Am I enough for this moment? Am I the leader I need to be for this moment? Am I going to break in this moment?” but also physically. I lost quite a bit of weight before the season started; I wanted him to look gaunt and like he hadn’t slept and he hadn’t been eating. He’s holding it together, but not well. All of them in their own way have just kind of come to the end of their rope.

I’ve been rewatching the earlier episodes alongside the aftershow podcast, and this season’s finale was kind of a payoff for the 

Spoiler

“I can see why you don’t need a gun!” line from Dummer was back in season 3. Don’t mess with Naomi.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That episode where she

Hide contents

Was on her own on the bomb ship and was just having setback after setback was one of my favourites in the whole show.

Criminal that she received no awards recognition for that. I know it's a bit of a trope to throw yourself into a gruelling role where you look haggard and throw yourself around while wailing a lot (The Revenant, lol) but man she was brilliant that season. A real breakthrough and standout.

Can't stop thinking about the

Spoiler

cutaway to baby Filip as she launches the salvo and the guttural scream afterwards.

What an emotional roundhouse kick to the chops. Victory at an impossible cost. In the aftershow they talk about how that was unplanned - the other actors didn't know it was coming, and James Strait burst into tears when she did it. 

12 hours ago, Darwock said:

12 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Steven Strait lost weight for the role to show the stress that Holden is under.

https://gizmodo.com/the-expanses-holden-and-naomi-explain-how-love-can-endu-1848182570

He also has cancer from the events on Eros and in S4 he has no access to the meds due to being stuck on the planet

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Oh yeah - I keep thinking the arm implant handles all that but actually it's just a port or something for the meds, right? Totally forgot about that.

Yeah I'm sure there was a scene where he's getting treatment in the Roci med bay (they make more of an issue of it in the books that don't exist)