IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2022/01/19/expanse-finale-politics-international-relations/

Last week, “The Expanse” — the best science fiction series of this century and possibly all centuries — came to an end. There is plenty to admire about the show. “The Expanse” is an exemplar of “hard” science fiction — meaning that almost everything that happens in it is grounded in real physics. It also deftly handles representation in its 23rd-century setting, imagining a future in which diversity across race, gender, religion and sexual preference is so ordinary that it hardly warrants mention. In one scene in the series finale, all the major military powers in an alliance are led by women. That fact is not remarked upon in any way, which makes it no less compelling in 2022.

As a social scientist, however, what I admire about “The Expanse” is that it pulled off the rare feat of combining the international and the interpersonal in the context of an interstellar show. It also might be the most hopeful pessimistic show ever aired.

Really recommend the “Ty and That Guy” podcast if you’re doing a rewatch. Loads of incredible behind the scenes anecdotes and a lot of insight in to how a show like they gets made. They’re up to S4 just now. 

Yeah, the Podcast is great, that's what made me want to go back. Ty and Wes have great chemistry together and an enclyopedic knowledge of film.

I learned that Steven Strait who plays Holden dropped a load of weight before last season to show that Holden had been through the wringer. I'm glad this was the case, I was kinda worried that the actor was genuinely ill - because Holden really looks like shit!

Where can you watch the short movies that I’ve seen mentioned here? I have Amazon Prime but there’s nothing on there under season 6 except the regular episodes. Tried yarrring it too, but nothing?

5 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Where can you watch the short movies that I’ve seen mentioned here? I have Amazon Prime but there’s nothing on there under season 6 except the regular episodes. Tried yarrring it too, but nothing?

It works on the mobile/tablet app. Not sure if they've added it to TV yet.  Start playing the last episode, pause and go into bonus material and they're there. 🙄

They haven't handled them well, which is a shame.  They're nice little flavour pieces.

I can see them on my TV if I'm using my Fire Stick. During the episode press up on the remote to access X-ray, and then select bonus content.

The built in Amazon app on the TV doesn't have them though oddly.

41 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

It works on the mobile/tablet app. Not sure if they've added it to TV yet.  Start playing the last episode, pause and go into bonus material and they're there. 🙄

They haven't handled them well, which is a shame.  They're nice little flavour pieces.

thanks, but when I pause on the iPad how do I get to bonus content? All I can do is change volume, add subtitles, or skip through the episode?

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

thanks, but when I pause on the iPad how do I get to bonus content? All I can do is change volume, add subtitles, or skip through the episode?

only tried it on android tbh.  Can you tap again for x-ray features or the like?  Failing that try on the prime website instead ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Season 6. Great stuff really sets up season 7 now that...

Spoiler

Marco is dead.

Oh.

Spoiler

My biggest disappointment with the series, while I really liked it over all, is that it leant into the Belter/Inners political dynamics and didn't resolve the proto-molecule story strand which drew me in originally. I'm not sure the series had a better 'high' for me that that Miller/Julie scene way back in season 2.

11 hours ago, hub2 said:

Just finished Season 6. Great stuff really sets up season 7 now that...

Hide contents

Marco is dead.

Oh.

Hide contents

My biggest disappointment with the series, while I really liked it over all, is that it leant into the Belter/Inners political dynamics and didn't resolve the proto-molecule story strand which drew me in originally. I'm not sure the series had a better 'high' for me that that Miller/Julie scene way back in season 2.

yeah - I've not read the books, but it looks like they've decided to 

Spoiler

keep the protomolecule, resurection, guy through the ring that seems to have awakened the space ship - all for a seperate spin-off/film or whatever.

22 minutes ago, scottcr said:

yeah - I've not read the books, but it looks like they've decided to 

Hide contents

keep the protomolecule, resurection, guy through the ring that seems to have awakened the space ship - all for a seperate spin-off/film or whatever.

Hope you're right, it'll be a bit shit if they just didn't bother resolving what was a pretty major plot. 

14 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hope you're right, it'll be a bit shit if they just didn't bother resolving what was a pretty major plot. 

Thing is, if that’s it, you can read the books or listen to the audiobook's. Whether they make more or not the plot resolution is out there and easily accessible. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/02/2022 at 21:22, Jimmyzilla said:

What was the point in Bezos resurrecting it if it wasn't to take it to the end?

This is the most puzzling thing about the whole Jeff Bezos is a 'superfan' thing. They moved to Amazon but didn't get a significantly bigger budget to do it than what a struggling basic cable TV network gave them and also couldn't convince Amazon to fund it to the finish line either.

Most perplexing.

I'm way behind on this - yet to start on Season 5.

I've just started reading book 5 (Nemesis Games) so I wanted to check to see what book Season 5 covers - I don't want to start once I've finished the book if it also features stuff from book 6!

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/02/2022 at 11:11, mushashi said:

This is the most puzzling thing about the whole Jeff Bezos is a 'superfan' thing. They moved to Amazon but didn't get a significantly bigger budget to do it than what a struggling basic cable TV network gave them and also couldn't convince Amazon to fund it to the finish line either.

Most perplexing.

I may have said this before, but I really think that the controversy regarding Cas Anvar after season 5 had been filmed killed the show for Amazon. They didn’t need that shit, basically. Alcon Entertainment had noticeably less money to splash around in season 6 - the location filming had all gone, for example. It was all soundstages and fewer episodes. It seems like Amazon gave them enough to ‘finish’ and that’s it. I firmly believe there’s a parallel universe where Anvar wasn’t a dick, and Amazon stuck with it for 10 episodes rather than 6 and gave The Expanse another season renewal.

That being said, I hope they can find a home for the remaining novels. The Laconia plot was a big swing for a show with no future… so I assume the show runners think it might have one somewhere.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I may have said this before, but I really think that the controversy regarding Cas Anvar after season 5 had been filmed killed the show for Amazon. They didn’t need that shit, basically. Alcon Entertainment had noticeably less money to splash around in season 6 - the location filming had all gone, for example. It was all soundstages and fewer episodes. It seems like Amazon gave them enough to ‘finish’ and that’s it. I firmly believe there’s a parallel universe where Anvar wasn’t a dick, and Amazon stuck with it for 10 episodes rather than 6 and gave The Expanse another season renewal.

That being said, I hope they can find a home for the remaining novels. The Laconia plot was a big swing for a show with no future… so I assume the show runners think it might have one somewhere.

They've been cancelled by the most obvious channel for this type of material, then rejected by all the other streaming services before the Amazon 'miracle' (which probably isn't quite as good as it first seemed given how much money Amazon are willing to throw at shit they think has potential) so who's left now and how much money are they going to get this time?, 50-75% of the SyFy/Amazon budget might just be a fate worse than death.

I suppose they could try the film adaption route, but the problem there is you lose all that lovely slow burn character and story development, which is the reason people fall in love with these shows. See the difference between Serenity and Firefly, I much preferred the cheaper looking TV series over the glossy film sequel.

The slow turning of opinion on the last series is interesting to see. I still need to get around to watching it.

Oh, and it turns out that due to how the original rights were structured and the deal they did, they effectively fucked over SyFy, forcing them to cancel it:

“After Season 1 we made a deal with Amazon for the SVOD rights after (each season’s) airing on Syfy,” Johnson says. “The issue was, more and more people were finding it more attractive to see it on Amazon. So the economics for Syfy just for their window and the advertising they were collecting in their window started to not make sense. They didn’t have the global rights to justify the cost of the show.”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-expanse-season-5-amazon-syfy-alcon-1234899678/

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

They didn't fuck anybody over, it's not like "you're only getting the TV broadcast rights on a show in 2015" was in the fine print. 

Well the fact it was available on Amazon a short period after airing on SyFy slowly robbed them of a viewing audience, so they couldn't justify funding it.

Only Alcon and Amazon benefitted from that deal, not the channel actually paying for the cost of actually producing it, so yeah, I'd kind of view that as effectively been made to look like a idiot. SyFy loved the show, but had no choice but to stop funding it due to the other deals Alcon had done for it off the back of their funding it.