David Fincher's Gone Girl - Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike

I haven't read the book but I think it's been on the NYT best sellers list for the last six months or more. Seems like a bit of a change of pace for Fincher (who has also just dropped out of the Aaron Sorkin scripted Steve Jobs biopic).

Here's the blurb - courtesy of Coming Soon.

On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Affleck, the bomb in Phantoms) reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Pike), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick's portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPLieLQQQs

I think any sequel, if it happens, is some way off. I don't think Sony have ruled it out, but don't seem to be actively pursuing it either. I might be wrong but I don't think Dragon Tattoo was as big a hit as they hoped it would be.

I loved the book and Fincher is always good (Button didn’t happen) so this should be interesting at least. I read somewhere that Gillian Flynn has re-written the books ending for the film.

I've just finished the book and the final chapter is a let down. It was good up until that point. The end felt a bit out of place.

• 2 months later...

The book starts well, but Becomes steadily more and more dumb. I heard they have changed the ending which is the best thing they could have done, so hopefully Fincher can make it something worthwhile.

My thoughts precisely, though I think it would be more accurate to say that it becomes exponentially more and more dumberer and dumberer.

How so? I obviously disagree, but I'm curious as to why you think it's so bad.

2 mins 30 secs of repetition. With almost no insight into anything in the film beyond "Did he or didn't he". There's only the slightest hint of any other suspects, or any potential conspiracy, or any ticking clock to prove his guilt/innocence. Meaning there is no urgency and very little tension. Editorial it is just sync pull after sync pull of all the same dialogue, over shot after shot of people standing in a room looking serious. It doesn't build or ride or change gear at any point. And it's loooooooooong.

Check this trailer for The Fugitive (1993)

Tragedy, then opportunity, then set up, all stylishly cut using juxtaposition and economic with dialogue. It gets right to the point. That's how to cut a trailer.

• 2 months later...

Knew nothing of the book.

Pike is exceptional. Kinda dug Affleck's performance without really knowing precisely the reason why.

And the scene in the bedroom made me wince not seen in a long while.

Maybe my least favourite Fincher film, so it's still decent. I assume this was shot after Affleck was cast as Batman? His head is barely visible relative to the size of his torso.

I haven't read the book but it felt like the story just started without any of the characters really acknowledging that it had.

I’m a big David Fincher fan and I really liked the book and I thought it was fantastic. Not top-tier Fincher but still an excellent film.

Really good acting from the two leads. Affleck had just enough sleaze and menace about his performance to keep you unsure as to his involvement in whatever might have happened. Pike was excellent as well, almost playing two or three different characters.

I loved the way it was filmed and edited, it really captured the blandness of middle America. I thought the lighting wasn’t great in some indoor scenes and it was kind of hard to see what was happening at times.

The music was pretty good but a little intrusive at times.

For a two hour plus movie this never felt like it dragged. It was pretty funny at times and there were some real shocking scenes; the bedroom scene mentioned above had the cinema gasping.

I liked that the reveals were slowly revealed – it wasn’t just a dramatic one-off moment. And I’m glad they kept the ending from the book.

I’m looking forward to seeing it again.

This was the first time in a while that I reflexively threw out an opinion before hearing from the likes of Kermode. He really seemed to like this movie! Listening to him this afternoon made me evaluate my experience...and yup, still disappointing. It's usually as fun to disagree with him as it is to agree with him, but in this case...I just have boring differences of opinion.

I also saw this last night and found it really satisfying and entertaining, despite siting between one bloke who breathed unnecessarily loudly through his nose for nearly 150 minutes and a pair of nattering ladies who I'm guessing hadn't been to the cinema since the '60s.

The book starts well, but Becomes steadily more and more dumb.

This is exactly my experience with the film. The first 45 mins or so is pretty interesting if a bit slow to start and with some dodgy dialogue. Then the plot goes in some seriously ridiculous directions and I checked out. Fincher does a solid job of keeping things moving but there's nothing he can do with some of the later scenes. There's some moments that are almost laughable.

I don't think some of the casting helped. I thought NPH and the blurred lines girl were miscasts, i just can't take them seriously in their roles, which made the third act hard to swollow. I really loved the sister Margo though, the lawyer and the good cop were decent too, so casting was just a bit uneven. Quite a few people around me at my screening were expecting a sequel after that ending and i can't blame them, nothing same partifcularly resolved.

The music in the early 'happy' flashback scenes really reminded me of Silent Hill. I liked the way it was amped-up to almost drown-out the dialogue and, combined with the blurry, sepia palette, gave everything an ominously overwhelming saccharine, dream-world feel.

Also I feel I now have a new role model.