rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

The Hong Kong Massacre - John Woo X Hotline Miami

2xwrCTi.jpg

By Vreski Games

Release Date: January 22, 2019

ABOUT

Hi everyone. This is the game I´m currently working on. It is called The Hong Kong Massacre.
It is a top-down action game inspired by classic Hong Kong action movies. I wanted to make a game for sometime that tries to capture the intensity and mayhem that gunfights creates in these movies.

So I decided to start a DevLog mostly to share my work with you guys and hopefully get some good feedback and ideas also. It´s also a good motivation to keep updating and working on the game.

The idea of the game is that the player is set out to hunt down a triad leader(or similar) in Hong Kong, his whereabouts is unknown so your job is to track him down. You do this by finding people in his organization for more clues. When you start the game you have a map with different locations available. These acts as levels and you can choose any order you want to visit them. As you get new clues new locations will be unlocked on the map for you to visit, and so on. I also want to include levels that are more stealth based (haven't tested this yet so it might not work at all), and some where you only take out one target.

The main game mechanic is the ability to slow down time whenever you want. This is crucial to be able to clear a harder level. When you slow down time you can dodge bullet by rotate your character and also rack up shoots when killing enemies. In the future I want to extend this ability with some more stuff.

IMAGES

Spoiler

GcBVd7b.gif

F2phxF7.gif

1sg9R02.gif

GcBVd7b.gif

HhliCWW.gif

hongkong.jpg

massacre3.jpg

VIDEOS

Spoiler

This is exactly what I imagined a more visually advanced Hotline Miami would look like. Seems like Max Payne + Hotline + John Woo = sick! that's what!

• Upvote 2

Man the particles and blood look ace. One to watch for sure. Literally looks like hotline Miami HD though, ha.

It wouldn't be heroic bloodshed without the slow mo. All we need now is some white doves.

It's a nice idea but the blood is OTT in of itself and specifically for Woo-style and the game is fundamentally broken as an emulation of the same if it doesn't have a shoot-dodge and diving mechanic.

I know it's not really an emulation and merely 'inspired by' but I got a less excited when I realised that it didn't have the move set that would allow you to really pull off some Woo moves.

Still, looks interesting.

What is this casual shit? I didn't need bullet time for Hotline Miami

Bullet time makes everything better. Everything should have it, even turn-based strategy games.

• Upvote 2

I read a little about this on PC Gamer's site earlier this week. I'm not sold on the more realistic look just yet - hopefully it will look better later on, as the video's still only prototype footage - but controlling your akimbo guns looks good and I love the amount of paper and glass and bits and pieces flying around :D

Like Smitty says; no diving or mental stunts like jumping through windows means it isn't the real thing!

CFJ3vkh.gif

http://youtu.be/ZEvxJznBE0Y

Man, I need to watch all these films again; it's been too long. Hard Boiled, The Killer, Better Tomorrow 1&2...classics one and all.

There used to be these two mods for Half-Life I played to death back in the day; Action Half-Life and Opera. Shit, they were so good.

This needs more interest - change the thread title to include 'John Woo inspired Hotline Miami clone' or something!

It looks cool, but I think I preferred how the game looked in 2014. It's gone into absolute particle overload - more like Nex Machina than the spartan, dusty look of a John Woo film. You can barely make out what's going on. 

• Upvote 1

On 17-4-2014 at 16:55, Doctor Shark said:

This needs more interest - change the thread title to include 'John Woo inspired Hotline Miami clone' or something!

Done. :hat:

21 hours ago, K said:

It looks cool, but I think I preferred how the game looked in 2014. It's gone into absolute particle overload - more like Nex Machina than the spartan, dusty look of a John Woo film. You can barely make out what's going on. 

Yeah, overdosing on effects is an easy mistake to make. I rarely see these things drawn back in, either. The stuff earlier in the thread is both much more readable and attractive. 

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit concerned this is out now, but there are no reviews. I've been looking forward to this for ages, but think I'll hold off until I get some decent impressions and reviews.

Has any heard anything about this yet?

Fuck me that looks good.  10% off special promotion until 28th on Steam + Friday payday = Bought!!!

Early first impressions are it's...ok...

Chow does feel a bit sluggish, seems to lack the frenetic pace I was expecting. Gunfights are cool but it's really hard to see the reticule when everything kicks off and it's equally hard to see the enemy bullets unless in slo-mo mode. 

My main gripes are the music that is total pap and then gun sounds which are severely lacking. I mean the shotgun sounds the same as the pistol / smg / AK47 there's just no oomph to them. In fact it sound like they sampled a crisp packet being rustled and thought yeah that'll do.

Finally what's with the FMV? Is it supposed to look hyper compressed? 

Currently rated at 2 tequila's out of 5

I still think the prototype version at the top of the page looks better than the final game, and infinitely more readable. You can see the crosshair, for one thing. For a game that’s inspired by classic Hong Kong action films, it looks absolutely nothing like one.