IGNORED

The old Rllmuk Photography Thread

Sng

How come you dont shoot in RAW Rantin' James ?

I use Lab colour as a rule for B+W as you can get great results that way.

Lab colour?

Many reasons. Mainly that the camera is far better doing the processing than I would be in photoshop manually. When I shoot 250 photos at a gig, I dont have time to post-process them all by hand.

Equally, when doing landscapes, like I did in Nepal, I was away from a power source and PC for 3 weeks. So even shooting at full jpeg quality (which I did) was pushing my luck on the battery life of my hard disk vault. Quite apart from the fact i'd've had 1400 (down from 2000 shots taken) shots to process!

Ken Rockwell (who I'm sure you've read before?) sums up my views pretty perfectly here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

(if you excuse his ranty/confrontational writing style he has a lot of good articles)

Lab colour?

Many reasons. Mainly that the camera is far better doing the processing than I would be in photoshop manually. When I shoot 250 photos at a gig, I dont have time to post-process them all by hand.

Equally, when doing landscapes, like I did in Nepal, I was away from a power source and PC for 3 weeks. So even shooting at full jpeg quality (which I did) was pushing my luck on the battery life of my hard disk vault. Quite apart from the fact i'd've had 1400 (down from 2000 shots taken) shots to process!

Ken Rockwell (who I'm sure you've read before?) sums up my views pretty perfectly here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

(if you excuse his ranty/confrontational writing style he has a lot of good articles)

I don't shoot RAW all the time. only when I'm in doing my arty type projects and want nothing but the best.

Unlike your opinion above, I don't think the camera knows how to process the images best. Being able to adjust a few stops of exposure and white balance, mild hue/saturation/sharpness is a god send. All from a completely artifact free image. Great.

Doing gigs and spending a lot of time away is a good excuse to forgo RAW especially if you don't have access to power/computers.

I'm sure I'd look at a folder of 200images and say 'fuck this' and just convert them all. but saying that, there's always a few images that' I'd like to pay attention to. Especially the ones that I want to submit.

I'm assuming that Ken article is just an article designed to provoke some response? Stating the obvious about how it's not always good to use RAW. Which of course is true.

annyywyaay. It's all good fun isn't it chaps?

I suspect it goes something like:

Your ability to manually post process > my D70 > my ability to manually post process :P

Hehe- actually I'm ok at it, I can just never decide what's 'best'. I'd almost rather shoot 4 photos instead, tweaking the white balance/exposure on the camera at the time...

I'm enjoying this thread a lot I must say.

Just starting to get into photography, im using a nice 20year old camara :(, it was my grandads and i figured i'd use it to see if i can get into photography

Was going to put all the pictures here but instead i signed up at flickr so heres the link, can i get some feed back please, i know a couple are dark and i know what i did wrong on them :D

Link....i hope :P

Just starting to get into photography, im using a nice 20year old camara :(, it was my grandads and i figured i'd use it to see if i can get into photography

Was going to put all the pictures here but instead i signed up at flickr so heres the link, can i get some feed back please, i know a couple are dark and i know what i did wrong on them :D

Link....i hope :P

Very good. Better than anything I could do.

Do you do free running or whatever its called?

I really like that. Whats his/her name?

His name's Toffee.

It's not my dog, though. We look after dogs while their owners go on holiday, much better than a kennel. This is the liveliest dog we've had in a long while - Bloody thing just won't stay still, but he's still cute.

Something off to the left has them interested...

Aint that the truth. I had my camera in one hand, and was waving a bag of peanuts in the other. They were all heading my way (very scary, actually), I was ready to take the picture, then they all fucked off to the left. I took the picture anyway, then looked to the left myself.

There was a mother and her son ( I presume), arguing over a loaf of Warburtons. I think I heard the mother say "Just feed the ducks". Spoilt my photo, the cow.