The old Rllmuk Photography Thread

Sng

Nope , i'm shit, see below.

I tried getting the camera lined up in the light, auto focus on, and set it to a mid aperture (11) and a long exposure, 10 seconds or so, low iso. the first few were crap, good lights but the foreground compltely black, so the best i managed was using the torch on the ipod as light and the background, that and my phone.

The best ones are here, more on my flickr, any help greatly appreciated.

Not really done any pp apart from crop.

3792635241_01667c0bb0.jpg

3792632115_e957b2afc9.jpg

Also tried shooting raw, for the first time, does my version of aperture support the raw from my camera? does it fuck, thanks apple.

Looks a good start to me. I'm just leaving for a short holiday now so will try to reply on monday. Remind me if i forget though!

Update your OSX, and it'll be cool.

I'm on leopard and its up to date, from a quick scout of the apple site last night the .NEF raw files produced by the Nikon D60 are only supported in Aperture 2. So Hurrah for built in obsolescence, I sense a visit to mr torrent. They also didnt work in Photoshop elements.

Iphoto 08 would recognise them but they looked odd, too dark, unless i just fucked the shots up.

Looks a good start to me. I'm just leaving for a short holiday now so will try to reply on monday. Remind me if i forget though!

Cheers, a start, but they are no where near as sharp as your one. Now some of that might be down to boba being a poorer subject than the stark white scout trooper.

It was a struggle figuring out how to light them enough to see the foreground. I gave up on darth vader after a few goes, but should really try again with a red light.

Problems, well, they are a bit noisy, and it's because i realised that i'd left auto iso on so they are at iso 800, am I right in thinking if i can get a lower Iso they will be clearer?

I also left the camera to auto focus, and I think that worked fine, just made sure the figure was on one of the focus points and the AF lamp did its job.

I'd still appreciate knowing how you did yours, hope you have a good break, where you off to? I'm away next week, but will have my ipod on me so will check in.

Love those SW characters, I want! Cool photos too, of course :(

Cheers, the SW figures are mighty muggs, mine were presents (my auntie loves them and has nearly a full set of the marvel ones) which i've passed on to the nipper.

I like the shroom, i saw a cool one of a snail on your flickr, you should post it up.

Weird.. I thought updating did it for all the programs. Thats pretty fucked. :twisted:

Yeah it's crap, was going to look into it today but have been pretty snowed under at work. Seems ridiculous not to update your existing software for certain cameras.

Cheers, the SW figures are mighty muggs, mine were presents (my auntie loves them and has nearly a full set of the marvel ones) which i've passed on to the nipper.

I like the shroom, i saw a cool one of a snail on your flickr, you should post it up.

I'll look into the characters, although to be honest I'll probably just use them for the same photo you and L have done :twisted:

3781975536_2d0a1de1b4.jpg

I'd still appreciate knowing how you did yours, hope you have a good break, where you off to? I'm away next week, but will have my ipod on me so will check in.

I'm in Wales on my phone now, no laptop with me! No signal either but free wifi in the hotel!

How do you do this? Has anybody got a link to a guide?

Take all your photos

go into ps and batch process them, select photomerge

this should then align them all and you'll have a buunch of layers

re arrange the layers so at the top of the pile you have whatevers at the front and the bottom aka background is the person at the back

you then simply click on the mask next to the picture in the layers section and either paint in or out the image below (press d to reset the pallete and x to switch between black and white, or paint in paint out)

did taht quickly to have a bash.... would look pretty good if i took my time...

Some other shots from my French Holiday....

ElneStation1.jpg

Elne Station - Nr Perpignan

Milau1.jpg

The Milau Viaduct

MwayLandscape2.jpg

A view from a typical French Motorway rest stop.

ViaductDeGarabitLong.jpg

Garabit Viaduct (as seen in Cassandra Crossing)

TowardsPuyDeDome.jpg

Looking towards Puy De Dome

Gerzat2.jpg

Gerzat Station - Nr Clermont Ferrand

Stormclouds3.jpg

A huge Thundercloud brewing over our Villa with the huge tell tale "anvil" like shape.

ewan2BW.jpg

My son at rest.

Most of the scenery i saw was off the A75 though the central massif (which is pretty amazing for a motorway) and the back road that connects Argeles Sur-mur with Figueres in Spain via Port Vendre (as theres also a motorway connection). The sad fact was that we couldn't really stop and walk about properly owing to the heat, parking and having kids. The railway station is actually Gerzat outside Clermont Ferrand - its a dilapidated station with lots of old industrial scenery. The whole trip was rather shot notice but i'll know better for next year.

Thanks but I cant take all the credit.

I don't know how you guys feel but I obviously post process a fair bit. As long as the end result it nice i say but i'm very new to all this still.

The one of Ewan was pitch black and i knew PS could massively overexpose/or brighten the result, I added a vignette to re-cover the the areas.

Cheers, a start, but they are no where near as sharp as your one. Now some of that might be down to boba being a poorer subject than the stark white scout trooper.

It was a struggle figuring out how to light them enough to see the foreground. I gave up on darth vader after a few goes, but should really try again with a red light.

Problems, well, they are a bit noisy, and it's because i realised that i'd left auto iso on so they are at iso 800, am I right in thinking if i can get a lower Iso they will be clearer?

I also left the camera to auto focus, and I think that worked fine, just made sure the figure was on one of the focus points and the AF lamp did its job.

I know you're away but guess you'll see this And.

Lock the ISO as low as it'll go for less noisy shots.

AF - I use autofocus once in good light (lights on) and then turn it to manual focus, turn the lights off and don't move anything. Are you using a cable release? If not then you pressing the shutter button will cause some movement and may knock the focus out a bit.

As for lighting the front of the subject, I was using the torch to light the subject from the front using flashes of torch light from front left, front right and head on above a bit. Turned torch off and then round the back to draw the patterns. problem with this is that it lit the background a bit too much or the desk the Mugg was on.

My basic secret for the shot was that it's 3 or 4 shots blended together. One of the Mugg properly exposed, one of the gun, one of the desk nice and dark and also one where the pattern was right. All done in PS using layer masks and some serious erasing, painting etc.

Some really nice work on here over the last few pages! I've been moving house, relocated down to a wee place called Catterall, in Lancashire. Theres great scenery round here, need to go and take some walks with the camera! So hopefully I'll have some new work in the coming weeks to show! :lol:

Really jealous of the pictures in this thread. I have a holiday in Toronto, Niagara and then onto New England in Septemeber and months ago I bought myself a DSLR to ensure I captured the moment in all its glory. I told myself to get out each weekend practicing and taking pictures (as I can imagine they will mostly be landscape shots) and I have failed.

I have three weeks to get out their before we go, this thread has given me inspiration and hope. I'll post whatever I come up with.

But yeah, repeat other sentiments. The last couple of pages have been of exceptional standard.