The old Rllmuk Photography Thread

Sng

So I just started photographing (racing) cars more seriously, as part of my study (Journalism, of which I'm doing a minor in Photojournalism now). I'm covering the Historic Zandvoort Trophy this weekend, an event for oldtimer and youngtimer cars, which is nice for practice.

I'd like to share these pictures, do feel free to comment on them - I'd like to get a lot of advice on what I can improve:

12092009mg0216.jpg

12092009mg0258.jpg

12092009mg0506.jpg

12092009mg0359.jpg

12092009mg0273.jpg

12092009mg0175.jpg

I'm using a Canon EOS 500D by the way, with a Sigma DC 18-200 OS lens. All pictures are taking on Manual, although I used auto ISO, auto white balance, auto focus and auto stabilisation.

Don't know much about what makes a good car photo, McSpeed, but I think it's Agent L that specializes in it, the only thing I can suggest is that there's no real feel of movement in those photos. If you look back a few pages in this thread I think there was a fair bit of talking about panning techniques, it moves so fast though that it could well have been 20-30 pages back though!

...I think it's Agent L that specializes in it...

:( At least someone knows :ph34r:

12092009mg0216.jpg

12092009mg0258.jpg

12092009mg0506.jpg

12092009mg0359.jpg

12092009mg0273.jpg

12092009mg0175.jpg

1. Really needs a polarising filter, lose the wacky angle and get lower down.

2. Pretty good, get a little lower, get back some of the blown highlights/lost detail in the white areas and you've got a cracker there.

3. Polariser

4. Quite like it, slower shutter would help and get a bit more sense of speed.

5. That looks like a horrible position to shoot a car (stuck between the van) so good job, like it though, still a bit bright on the whites. White cars are HARD to shoot.

6. Could you have stepped back a bit? I have no clue what the car is. Would tell a nice story as part of an article though which I guess is the point to your project.

Overall a good start. You need to get sharper images though, maybe that's a lens problem and learn to process them so they 'pop' (hate that term) like Christoph84's (and I hope mine do too). For static shots you need lights to get the pro look but that's not always an option when walking the paddock as you were. Keep it up though, good start.

1. Sexy baby Aston

3915987691_ac5172b5d0.jpg

2. One of my sharpest pans (I'm slowly getting better)

3916006215_ccd88202a6.jpg

1. NIIICE

2. Know what shutter speed that is? It's good but it needs to show more movement in the background, was that a slow part of the track? I'd say aim for around 1/120 for a medium->fast area and you'll start seeing good results. Some background interest would help too but I know that's REALLY hard to get from a lot of raised spectator areas as all you get is barrier or grass. This one is 1/40 and whilst it's not as sharp as yours on the car I feel it conveys a lot more drama and speed.

3646853019_bb652566d5.jpg

PS - Pope, great shots.

1. NIIICE

2. Know what shutter speed that is? It's good but it needs to show more movement in the background, was that a slow part of the track? I'd say aim for around 1/120 for a medium->fast area and you'll start seeing good results. Some background interest would help too but I know that's REALLY hard to get from a lot of raised spectator areas as all you get is barrier or grass.

I normally pan at between 1/125 & 1/250. That one was at 1/350, so a bit too fast a shuter speed for that part of the track (Club chicane). That BMW shot is ace btw!

:( At least someone knows :blink:

1. Really needs a polarising filter, lose the wacky angle and get lower down.

2. Pretty good, get a little lower, get back some of the blown highlights/lost detail in the white areas and you've got a cracker there.

3. Polariser

4. Quite like it, slower shutter would help and get a bit more sense of speed.

5. That looks like a horrible position to shoot a car (stuck between the van) so good job, like it though, still a bit bright on the whites. White cars are HARD to shoot.

6. Could you have stepped back a bit? I have no clue what the car is. Would tell a nice story as part of an article though which I guess is the point to your project.

Overall a good start. You need to get sharper images though, maybe that's a lens problem and learn to process them so they 'pop' (hate that term) like Christoph84's (and I hope mine do too). For static shots you need lights to get the pro look but that's not always an option when walking the paddock as you were. Keep it up though, good start.

Cheers :lol: I already have a UV filter on it though, is that what you mean by polarising filter? (I'm not that good with photographic terms yet.)

I'll post some more pictures here later on, as I tried some new things when I went to Zandvoort again on Sunday.

not the best picture ive ever taken.

okay so i got a polaroid land camera off ebay and have managed to force it to work.. this is from my first pack of film, taken when slightly drunk in a pub using blue polaroid film, bit under exposed and its a rubbish scan, but not bad for a camera from the early 60's...

3925256721_49a4594ac8.jpg

Sorry this isn't a straight photo but I was at the MX track yesterday morning and I'm now allowed trackside access :(

As I was shooting I got to thinking that straight shots with bike and rider filling most of the frame aren't actually all that much use. They obviously serve a purpose but for more arty shots I started thinking about negative space and making them suitable for magazine use etc. I had a spare 45 mins to PP last night and rather than get through loads of shots I spent it all on one mag mock up!

I think it works, you may not!?

3926400397_11c2bda16a.jpg

The text is just ripped off some MX site and really isn't relevant. I don't know all that much about MX terminology and I know a lot less on how mags are laid out, it probably shows!!

You can make it fire either at the beginning or end of the exposure (1st curtain or 2nd curtain). This was just 1st curtain. Forgot to try 2nd :lol: It was only 1/120 of a second or similar though so I doubt it would have made all that much difference to the shot.

Re crap on the lens, yes, loads, and in all the buttons and all over the cam and me to be honest. I try not to worry about it, it usually cleans up just fine. Changing lenses is the pain as the fine dust blows about all over the place.