IGNORED

Should I Buy a Wii U? edit - bought one

neoELITE

Different strokes. I have more games for my Wii U than I do for my PS3. But I have more games for my Vita than any console I've ever owned and that's dying a death at retail as well.

The Dreamcast saga has really put the willies up some people with regards to the sales of various consoles. I think some kind of support group should be set up to help them start to enjoy games again.

No, I meant NeoElite. This could've gone in the wiiU thread

Sorry, with the Ocarina comment right after I thought it was directed at me.

Yeah, I just didn't want anyone thinking that there were N64 games available on the wiiU, In higher res and at the correct speed and stuff.

True enough.

How is it that retailers can justify charging so much for Wii U games compared to 360 and PS3 games when there are comparatively so few people buying them?. I understood when Wii games kept their price because the console was so ridiculously popular, but I don't understand how it's still the case now. I'm referring largely to first party titles. Does the Nintendo branding just prevent price degradation?

Case in point: Wind Waker HD is currently on Amazon for about £30, which is a 'bargain' according to HUKD. This is a 6 month old port of an 11 year old game. The South Park game that came out a couple of weeks ago is going for £22 already.

And not a Wii U game, granted, but Mario Kart 7, three years old now, is still over £35.

Isn't it more to do with the fact that the software sells throughout its life? I realise there aren't that many WiiUs around, but everyone who buys one will probably pick up Mario World, Zelda WW and now Mario Kart as well. So they can keep the price of that software high.

Nintendo don't slash prices after the initial sales surge of new releases. Activision are the same, CoD games remain pretty much full price until the follow up game is released a year later. Compared to Square Enix who slashed the price of Tomb Raider and every recent Final Fantasy mere weeks after release and you end up with people just waiting in the knowledge that on past form price cuts will come.

They didn't used to, but a big stack of 3DS games (including MK7) have been permanently reduced in the US.

Oh, and they used to do " Players Choice" on the GC and Wii, remember.

How is it that retailers can justify charging so much for Wii U games compared to 360 and PS3 games when there are comparatively so few people buying them?. I understood when Wii games kept their price because the console was so ridiculously popular, but I don't understand how it's still the case now. I'm referring largely to first party titles. Does the Nintendo branding just prevent price degradation?

Its only the first party stuff that keeps its value - case in point I've just bought Assassins Creed 4 for £16 new from Amazon which is a lot cheaper than on any other machine, the latest Call of Duty is £18 too - Zombie U and Deus Ex are down to £6 in several places.

Nintendo keep the price of the first party games high I guess because they sell at that level - mind you I got WW discounted by Zavvi to £25 a month or two after release so price cuts do happen

It probably has the best line-up of exclusives of any machine right now, so I would say yes.

ZombiU - true survival horror that makes excellent use of the Gamepad.

Super Mario 3D World - absolutely magical game, my GotY 2013. Great fun in MP as well.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - the best 2D platformer of recent times. Excellent level design, challenging and the best soundtrack in ages.

The Wonderful 101 - utterly unique title. Steep learning curve, but tons of depth.

There is Pikmin 3 as well, Nintendo Land for multiplayer, Wind Waker HD, Mario U, probably the best version of Rayman Legends for co-op and Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Bayonetta 2, X and Zelda are on the way.

So that's platforming in 2D and 3D, strategy, character action, survival horror, beat 'em up, family fun, adventure and JRPG (and fitness if you want that as well). The little bugger covers all bases.

Its future may look grim but any serious gamer should have one imo.

Is the Wii U far behind the Dreamcast in terms of sales art his stage or about break even?

As soon as the new Zelda makes an appearance (later this year?) I will be getting one.

when you say make an appearance do you mean announced? I would buy one for this too but following disappointing sales of Skyward Sword, and how much an HD Zelda would cost to make, I can't see it coming out, ever, on Wii U.

If you want a console which actually has games released on it then no to a Wii U.

Buy a 360 if you haven't got one, cheap and much more games

Did you even read the OP or just think that you'd come into another Wii U thread and piss all over it with your bullshit?

The OP has got a fucking 360 already.

Or maybe you just saw a thread mentioning the Wii U and thought you'd try to derail it again?

Take it to the Trouble With Microsoft thread..

when you say make an appearance do you mean announced? I would buy one for this too but following disappointing sales of Skyward Sword, and how much an HD Zelda would cost to make, I can't see it coming out, ever, on Wii U.

We should see something at E3 for sure and it will probably be an end of year release or something.

A tasty rumour that Retro could have a hand in development:

http://www.gamrreview.com/article/91354/could-retro-studios-be-working-on-the-new-zelda-for-wii-u/

They announced that they're working on it, but I suspect it'll never be as grand as we hope. Wind Waker 2 is my guess.

After Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, a Wind Waker 2 Zelda game would be a glorious return to form - how much grander do you want it to be?

Did you even read the OP or just think that you'd come into another Wii U thread and piss all over it with your bullshit?

The OP has got a fucking 360 already.

Or maybe you just saw a thread mentioning the Wii U and thought you'd try to derail it again?

Take it to the Trouble With Microsoft thread..

If he's got a 360 already? then no need for him to waste any money

Its not bullshit to say that a console that has no games coming out on it has no games coming out on it. My advice for anyone thinking about buying a Wii U is don't waste £200+ buying something which is dead in the water. If you desperately want to play the two or three games worth playing on the console then wait till the end of the year when the Wii U will be on clearance every where.

After Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, a Wind Waker 2 Zelda game would be a glorious return to form - how much grander do you want it to be?

Twilight Princess amount of dungeons, Majora's creativity and meaningful townsfolk/sidequests that actually give you the feels, Ocarina's wonderful plot build up and sense of place for everything, Twilight Princess Midna-like quality helper (IF we really need to have one, rather not), Wind Waker's sense of open world, Skyward Sword's upgradable items (but without it telling us every time we turn the game on: 'You've found a butterfly!'), Koji Kondo soundtrack, TP or SS-style graphics (but better, obviously), Miyamoto director.

No hand holding. No artificial sidequests in the main storyline that extend the games length. No repeat bosses.

Skyward Sword controls, but improved for the whiners who didn't know how to waggle out there.

MULTI-FLOOR FUCKING DUNGEONS.

Meaningful New Game+, not just stuff hits harder, but different dungeon layouts, Master Quest style.

My expectations for Zelda are always over the roof, and rightfully so. This shit can be pretty grand, yo.

Edit: Wind Waker 2 would be shit because assuming it takes after it's predecessor 3/4's of the world will be empty and the sailing will again put me to sleep, as nice as it is the first couple of times. And fuck cel shading. Nothing wrong with it, but if I'm waiting 5 years between Zelda's another Cel Shaded Zelda is not what I'd want.

If he's got a 360 already? then no need for him to waste any money

Its not bullshit to say that a console that has no games coming out on it has no games coming out on it. My advice for anyone thinking about buying a Wii U is don't waste £200+ buying something which is dead in the water. If you desperately want to play the two or three games worth playing on the console then wait till the end of the year when the Wii U will be on clearance every where.

Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Super Mario (U & 3D World), Windwaker, Lego City Undercover, I'm sure others can add to the list but I think there's more than two or three games worth playing. Anyway, how many games can you play at one time?!

(And before anyone chips in with 'Windwaker is just a HD remake, so was Halo Anniversary so that argument can fuck right off!)

Everybody's saying that it's dead in the water but people are still buying it and enjoying what for what it is. Seems to me that the ones saying it has no new games to play are the ones that rush through everything to boast that they've "rinsed it" without actually enjoying what they have played.

Apart from an original Xbox, it's the only console setup now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

It's worth buying in my opinion if you get a good deal and see it for what it is. Games like Mario 3d and Mario kart 8 can only be had here and for the current entry fee it's great value. Don't expect every third party blockbuster to arrive but do expect a solid console with a great and useful second screen that will allow you to use all of your old wii peripherals and provide lots of unique content. I sold mine but always knew I'd buy another as I will be doing imminently