The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (featuring Herlock Sholmes)

Professor Puzzles

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

Loving that below the "Cleese and Palin British Tailors" there's a carriage labelled Great Richard- or, to render it in faux-Latin, Biggus Diccus. Somebody had fun with the environment art!

Gilliam Theatre, Terry's Lever Watches, Brian's Soap, they're definitely Python fans! :D

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

Loving that below the "Cleese and Palin British Tailors" there's a carriage labelled Great Richard- or, to render it in faux-Latin, Biggus Diccus. Somebody had fun with the environment art!

:D  Well spotted, sir. 

On 22/04/2021 at 11:37, shynra said:

I just grabbed this one: https://www.play-asia.com/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-turnabout-collection-limited-e/13/70eedb

English not 100% confined in it @_@; so a little gamble.

The PA listing now says it does have English text and the CE is sold out everywhere so I think the gamble was worth it. I'm now annoyed I missed out, the US version is now available to pre-order at Amazon.com with delivery and taxes it's around £47 in total. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09341VH7D/ref=olp_aod_redir?_encoding=UTF8&tag=sec2002-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER#aod=1

• 1 month later...

Great interview on Polygon about the translation of this game. I had no idea what a lot of work went into the Phoenix Wright translations and they've done an amazing job so far, the humour and the writing are spot on in the English versions. Pretty hyped for this after all the work they've put into it!

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/22519215/great-ace-attorney-chronicles-interview-translator-localization-japanese-western-audience

Yeah, localisation (and translation generally) is an incredibly hard job; whenever I see takes on translations which gripe about things not being 'accurate'/literal enough it always gets my back up, as it's inevitably coming from a position of wilful ignorance: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' translation from any language, never mind one with as few cultural similarities as Japanese > English, and getting any of the original's feel across takes incredible work (and, almost always, significant deviation from 'accurate' translation, as idioms and context go out of the window). And that goes doubly for translating humour, making the consistent quality of the Ace Attorney series something of a miracle.

That interview offers a nice look under the hood, and it's always good to see localisation work getting a bit more coverage. But, I do take a little bit of issue with its framing - the repeated presentation of the article as a look at the process of localising the games for 'Western' audiences, when what it means is English language audiences, and in fact what it means by that is USian English audiences, as demonstrated by the discussion of having to be careful get a sense of Victorian English while avoiding using Britishisms that will confuse US players.* I mean, I'm perfectly happy for the article to focus on that - it's an English language article, and obviously there's no separate localisations for non-US players because, you know, US audience is default English language audience - but I'd be happier if the De'Angelo Epps had managed to avoid espousing that "we are the Western world" attitude so prevalent of the US!

Still, that's really just a fault in the article's framing: the actual interview itself is great. I was particularly interested that they actually looked into the history of the words they were using - I'd expected they'd go for faux-Victorian English without worrying about whether e.g. backstab is too modern a word, so that was a surprise to me. Talk about making a rod for your own back! I would be interested to see another article discussing the (presumably even greater) challenges of localising it into a non-English language:** trying to keep the Japanese humour, the sense of Victoriana and Empire English speech, and all the while doing so in, say, French? Now that sounds like a nightmare/lot of fun [delete as appropriate].

*I was actually a bit disappointed that they mention the perennial first/ground floor divergence, but then didn't go into what solution they went for in the end, though I suppose I'll find out when I play the game

**though I appreciate such an article would likely be made only in said non-English language, or else we start getting into recursive, nightmarish localisation territory. So I guess I'll be hoping for a French-language article for my own benefit!

• 1 month later...

Bit sad to hear in the reviews that the mysteries aren't as good or twisty as the mainline series. But overall the reception has been good. Definitely getting this on Switch for shits (literally) and giggles. 

• Professor Puzzles changed the title to The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (featuring Herlock Sholmes)