IGNORED

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (featuring Herlock Sholmes)

Professor Puzzles

On 30/07/2021 at 00:31, StephenM said:

I’ve started too — such an immediately comforting feeling to playing a ‘new’ Ace Attorney again. 

Absolutely!

I'm even playing this one in handheld mode only.

And as a huge Sherlock Holmes fan back in my uni days, I'm getting nostalgia shivers all the time. Can't wait to get stuck in for a few hours.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

My only real complaint is not being able to speed the text up or have a whole piece display instantly rather than being typed out on screen.

Anyway to speed it up I’ve missed?

I was tempted to get this and this would be a deal breaker for me. Annoys me. 

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

My only real complaint is not being able to speed the text up or have a whole piece display instantly rather than being typed out on screen.

If you tap B twice for each new panel it speeds it up a bit. I think you can halve the delay on how long it holds before you go to the next panel as well (there's some ambiguously named setting to that effect, I think that's what it does)

EDIT - actually, Story mode is good in this as well -> it basically plays itself, so on those rare-but-inevitable occasions where it's not clear what it wants you can stick that on, it auto-moves to the right bit of testimony or whatever and if that's enough of a hint you can then immediately turn it off

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

@iknowgungfu

Yeah. Just enable the text skip in options.

But it doesn't work if you've got "story mode" or "autoplay" enabled. Obviously.

I'm immediately soured on this game because it does the one thing that annoyed me most about later PWs.

Protagonists of cases 1 and 2 spoilers

Spoiler

Stop doing "Oh look every client we have is one of our mates", or in this case, ourselves.  Making "me" the defendant in both the first two cases is lazy writing and it's also annoying because now I'm in for a longer case of "Oh no I'm going to jail now!" every 3 lines.  It'd be nice to have one case that's actually a case rather than "Oh no my friend/me is getting done for doing a murders", especially as part of the case should be discovering the defendant's story and we already know it.

I already know I'm going to be annoyed by constant "You're guilty because locked room mystery" despite the fact I'm also not guilty because that discussions too.

The series has done that from the start though, the very first case of the very first game has you defending Larry Butz and there's at least one case in each of the original trilogy games where the defendant is either Phoenix or Maya. It's just an Ace Attorney trope.

Without spoiling things, it doesn't keep it up, so stick with it.

I think I never completed the last Phoenix Wright because at the start of what must have been the last or penultimate case it was suddenly fucking Maya again and I ragequit.

Plus those cases when it's a mate are always "Oh I can't tell you why I'm innocent because <Spurious reasons>".

We've known each other a decade you stupid bint!  And then it usually turns out the reason is along the lines of "Because I dropped my pen and ripped my trousers picking it up and I was frightfully embarrassed!".

As good as I think this game is, I can't help but wish they'd released it on the 3DS. That platform was better suited for these games imo. Still, it's great we did finally get it after all these years. And for once they ditched the efforts to make it look like it's all set in the US. Which was refreshing as well.

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

Interesting fact why the translations were set in the USA- not for cultural reasons, but because otherwise the maths in the very first case would have been too hard.

Can you remind us what that was about in spoilers? And how would it have worked in Japanese? It's been a long time.

As for Chronicles I'm an hour into Chapter 2 of the first game now. It's been quite long-winded overall so far and the first case was pretty straightforward. But I do love the presentation, the camerawork and extra animations in 3D add so much to the experience. The humour is intact as well which is great. I almost wish they would remaster the old games with the 3D treatment, I'd be well up for that.

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Can you remind us what that was about in spoilers? And how would it have worked in Japanese? It's been a long time.

As for Chronicles I'm an hour into Chapter 2 of the first game now. It's been quite long-winded overall so far and the first case was pretty straightforward. But I do love the presentation, the camerawork and extra animations in 3D add so much to the experience. The humour is intact as well which is great. I almost wish they would remaster the old games with the 3D treatment, I'd be well up for that.

Spoiler

The victim travelled back from Paris and didn't change the clock. Apparently the developers thought people in the USA might not know the relative time zones of Japan and Paris, as in which is 14 hours ahead of which, so made the current time zone local to the USA (Central I think).

I'm pretty sure that's a simplification (as in, that wouldn't have been the sole reason for the decision to set things in Los Angeles; deciding on how to set and localise the game would have been a big decision, and even if that puzzle was a factor, and is the example they like to reference, it wouldn't have been the sole factor), but it's made even odder to be given as a meaningful reason for the decision by the fact that:

Spoiler

The original version had the travel being between New York and Japan, so was already a US timezone based question; I'm not convinced the average American would be significantly more likely to know France's timezone rather than Japan's, or be more confused by Eastern vs Pacific.

Also, fun fact; while the French versions of the series set everything in Paris,* the German versions of the series are set in Los Angeles! My guess there is it was just cheaper as they could reuse any visually reworked assets from the US translation [e.g. the passport images] rather than needing to replace any burned-in Japanese script on artwork with fresh new German text.

* and for added fun,

Spoiler

rather than use the original Japan-New York puzzle, or reverse the LA-Paris puzzle, opt for their own Paris-Sydney trip. Hurrah!

The insane localisation of the Phoenix Wright games is my favourite thing about the series. It worked perfectly fine for the first game then rapidly unravelled immediately after that as the games got more and more culturally Japanese. As soon as Kurain Village entered the picture, the localisation was doomed. By the time you get to Spirit of Justice, they've got an entire case based around Japanese theatre and the precise method of cooking different types of noodles. To the translators' absolute credit, they've just rolled with it all, resulting in a weird sort of alternate universe that somehow makes perfect sense as long as you take it at face value. I love it.

On 15/08/2021 at 18:08, Wiper said:

I'm pretty sure that's a simplification (as in, that wouldn't have been the sole reason for the decision to set things in Los Angeles; deciding on how to set and localise the game would have been a big decision, and even if that puzzle was a factor, and is the example they like to reference, it wouldn't have been the sole factor), but it's made even odder to be given as a meaningful reason for the decision by the fact that:

Reveal hidden contents

The original version had the travel being between New York and Japan, so was already a US timezone based question; I'm not convinced the average American would be significantly more likely to know France's timezone rather than Japan's, or be more confused by Eastern vs Pacific.

Also, fun fact; while the French versions of the series set everything in Paris,* the German versions of the series are set in Los Angeles! My guess there is it was just cheaper as they could reuse any visually reworked assets from the US translation [e.g. the passport images] rather than needing to replace any burned-in Japanese script on artwork with fresh new German text.

* and for added fun,

Reveal hidden contents

rather than use the original Japan-New York puzzle, or reverse the LA-Paris puzzle, opt for their own Paris-Sydney trip. Hurrah!

200.gif

So myself and my partner have started this in the past week and have worked our way through to the end of case two. We are enjoying the game (I recently got her into the series with the very first Phoenix Wright game - I've played all of the previous games) but... but...

... the first case to a degree, and certainly the second case, really really dragged their arses on the floor on the way out. Particularly the second case, where it felt like the game slowly meandered down a road of dialogue until there was one final little twist... and even then it kept on going!

I'm guessing that this is probably due to the game having to do a lot of character-building and such in the first few episodes, and due to their unusual structure. The writing is still as good as it has ever been, the characters are great and the stories interesting, it's just I've often felt the game's taken two or three dialogue boxes to do the work that one could have.

I ended up selling mine. I’ve no doubt it’s a great game but I found the idea of wading through tonnes of text before you get to do anything was just going to be frustrating/boring for me. As an example - very mild spoiler as it’s probably the first contradiction you point out I had to wait for ages before I could call the guy a liar for 

Spoiler

Saying he saw the victim get shot in the back despite the photo showing he was shot in the chest

3 hours ago, kiroquai said:

So myself and my partner have started this in the past week and have worked our way through to the end of case two. We are enjoying the game (I recently got her into the series with the very first Phoenix Wright game - I've played all of the previous games) but... but...

... the first case to a degree, and certainly the second case, really really dragged their arses on the floor on the way out. Particularly the second case, where it felt like the game slowly meandered down a road of dialogue until there was one final little twist... and even then it kept on going!

I'm guessing that this is probably due to the game having to do a lot of character-building and such in the first few episodes, and due to their unusual structure. The writing is still as good as it has ever been, the characters are great and the stories interesting, it's just I've often felt the game's taken two or three dialogue boxes to do the work that one could have.

Popped on here to post exactly this, but you've done it for me. Really hope it picks up in Chapter 3. So far the mysteries have been very unintriguing and the pacing way too slow, by this point in the other games I'd be happily ploughing through without stopping. The setup for Chapter 2's mystery had a lot of potential but completely squandered.

I'm on the final case in the first game - in fact I've been on it for ages and I'd definitely agree with the comments about the pacing. Everything takes twice as long as it should, and in most cases so far I've worked out what's going on long before the game actually gets there.

The investigation sections are the real problem (general spoiler for structure of first game, no plot spoilers):

Spoiler

There are no multi-day trials in the first game at all, so the investigations aren't really investigations at all, they're just visual novel-style plot dumps. The final case took about two hours of clicking through boxes before a crime was even committed!

In previous games you'd have had a bit of a trial, then you'd have to go back and re-interrogate the subjects and poke around the crime scenes. Sometimes several times. So you'd never really get a handle on what was going on until right near the end of the case. Here, once you get to the trial, you've already learned most of what you need and the whole thing feels much less twisty as a result. You don't get that day one feeling of "well, we've escaped by the skin of our teeth but we still don't really know what's happening, let's go and see what we can find out". A real shame.

I've heard the second game is more dynamic in this regard though so hopefully that will turn out to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this, probably the best game in the series. Loved the music especially. Hope it kicks on so that they can spend more on developing the game, it deserves better than recycled animations all over the shop.

19 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I might be of the same opinion as SMD.

I'm only 4 cases in, but the number Sherlock Holmes references and the fan service combined with the excellence of the AA series itself is giving me more goosebumps than any game has managed in quite some time.

Still should've been on the 3DS though...

btw what's going on with all the videos on page 1?