IGNORED

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (featuring Herlock Sholmes)

Professor Puzzles

So started playing this, but as a few people have said, I’m struggling with the pacing issues.  Some of the previous games could be slow, but had interesting bits spread through to puzzle over - so far I don’t think there’s really been anything that clever done in terms of the puzzles, and quite often you spot stuff well in advance and then have to wait till you can present the very obvious answer. Admittedly these are early cases, but they aren’t interesting, in my opinion. 

And I’m going to say something perhaps a little controversial - most of the characters in Phoenix Wright games and the spin offs are awful and this is no exception. Sholmes is just annoyingly stupid, and there’s another female character who has a quirk of attacking the main character for stupid reasons.  Often they give characters weird quirks that don’t do much other than slow things down as the repeat the same meaningless animation.  The second case so far has been incredibly tedious because it’s basically been one character being stupid and annoying while the other character stupidly fawns over them and occasionally attacks you, while another character pops up that repeats an animation that at that point really should have had someone saying something to them.  It’s been several hours of this, and in between you’ve clicked on a bunch of stuff in a room once, and presented a few things that are so obvious I doubt anyway has gotten them wrong.  I’m sure it picks up, but at the moment it feels like endless text to wade through.

So far, it’s slow, I’m not interested in the cases and the characters mostly annoy me.  Please someone tell me it gets better!

Yeah I'm a couple of hours into case 2 and I'm struggling to mount the enthusiasm for case 1 again but worse.

It doesn't help that the entire humour content of case 2 so far is "Isn't it funny when a woman repeatedly hits a man".  Maybe it's just memory but I echo your feeling there's a lot less actual interaction and, you know, game than the old AA games and especially the Edgeworth game.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the physical for my birthday, after some pretty direct hints.

On case 2, enjoying it so far. The Dance of Deduction was great, very Ghost Trick influenced with the spotlights. 

Also amused that the localisation team are evidently at least partly British, as there was a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it Strictly Come Dancing pun in there.

I agree the pacing could perhaps have used some refinement (the first case was as long and twisty as you’d expect a 3rd case to be), but the game just generally *feels* right, in a way that neither Apollo Justice or Ace Attorney Investigations did for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Some advice please.

The original trilogy is currently reduced on the eshop (not to its all-time low unfortunately). I want this and I also want the The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.

Should I pull the trigger on the original trilogy and but The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles at a later date or wait until the double pack with the both collections is reduced instead?

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You should play the original trilogy.

I agree, but I really don't get on with that redrawn art. I'd recommend playing it on a DS of some kind, or an emulator. But I'm probably just being a grumpy old man.

I've been playing this on and off for weeks now and I seem to struggle to mount up the enthusiasm to keep going for decent sessions. On the DS you nearly had to prise the games out of my hands to go to bed. I don't know if it's me or the game.

I have noticed a few things that make me think its the latter. I used to find the old games were quite good at making you come to realisations at around the same time as the character. Here I feel like I'm constantly about 10 steps ahead and have to painfully wait for the plot to catch up with me. Not helped when every sodding thing is explained and then explained again and again and again and again. Please go into detail with me on how stereograms or gas pipes work again, I feel I didn't quite get it the first thirty times .Since, if anything I've got slower thinking as I've got older, I think this is probably the game and not me.

Related to that the game is so bloody verbose. It feels like watching later seasons of The Simpsons at times, where even if some dialogue is funny, they will then laboriously overexplain the joke until any humour is sucked out. As a whole it feels like there too many occasions where they use a paragraph when a sentence would have sufficed, which makes it drag.

Also I'm now on the second case of the second installment of the two packaged games. There's always been a fair bit of asset re-use in Phoenix Wright but it's been taking the piss here. The recycling of witnesses/jury members is ridiculous and not it a good, fun way, and cheap. Worse, they seem to have gone all in on what may be the most annoying character in any of these games, whose schtick wore out its welcome about 10 minutes into his first case.

40 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I did play them on the DS way back and don't remember how far I got.

I'm hoping to recapture the magic.

But should I buy the double pack?

I'm the wrong one to ask there, I've not played it since my post exactly a month ago being annoyed with it.

Just finished the third case of the first game. Blimey! That's a pretty radical set of circumstances to give you in only the second court case of the series, I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen. Although I guess it's really targeted squarely at AA veterans, so it's perhaps better to think of it as Shu Takumi's Ace Attorney 4.

Anyway, to re-answer the question above - definitely play the original series first, the learning curve and assumption challenging in the Great Ace Attorney games seems to assume you've done that already.

One slight disappointment is that I'm three cases in, and yet to see a ladder/stepladder. Other than that, really enjoying it - having not played AA5 or 6 it's my first game with the 3D models, and they have so much more life than the old sprites, much as I loved them. Maybe one day they'll do a HD remake of 1-3 with 3D models - it would be a better option than the over-processed art originally intended for the GBA.

21 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Just finished the third case of the first game. Blimey! That's a pretty radical set of circumstances to give you in only the second court case of the series, I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen. Although I guess it's really targeted squarely at AA veterans, so it's perhaps better to think of it as Shu Takumi's Ace Attorney 4.

Anyway, to re-answer the question above - definitely play the original series first, the learning curve and assumption challenging in the Great Ace Attorney games seems to assume you've done that already.

One slight disappointment is that I'm three cases in, and yet to see a ladder/stepladder. Other than that, really enjoying it - having not played AA5 or 6 it's my first game with the 3D models, and they have so much more life than the old sprites, much as I loved them. Maybe one day they'll do a HD remake of 1-3 with 3D models - it would be a better option than the over-processed art originally intended for the GBA.

I know 4&5 have their issues, but they're still worth playing. As is 6 if you have a 3DS (very good imo). Currently replaying 6, but if you want to borrow my 3ds with the whole collection after that let me know!

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

I know 4&5 have their issues, but they're still worth playing. As is 6 if you have a 3DS (very good imo). Currently replaying 6, but if you want to borrow my 3ds with the whole collection after that let me know!

Ooh, tempting offer. I wasn't dismissing 4-6 outright, more acknowledging that the Takumi directed games are sort of a thing in themselves. But I will say that Apollo Justice, Ace Attorney Investigations and AAI:2 made me a bit weary in a way that the first three didn't, and GAA isn't thus far. I actually couldn't be bothered to finish AAI:2.

I completely missed the 3DS as a platform, something I occasionally wonder if I should remedy.

8 hours ago, therearerules said:

Five was 3DS exclusive as well, wasn't it?

AA 6 is one of my favourite AA games. They way they make fun of cults and their typical attitudes really made me chuckle on several occasions.

3 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Five was 3DS exclusive as well, wasn't it?

AA 6 is one of my favourite AA games. They way they make fun of cults and their typical attitudes really made me chuckle on several occasions.

Course it was! Forgot that was download too.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished GAA1 last week, and overall enjoyed it - but I was surprised by how weak the final chapter was. Usually the climaxes of Ace Attorney games are their highlight, but this one just didn't quite work for me - it felt more contrived and less, well, captivating than previous entries.

It was a shame, as I love the characters, and very much liked the structure and framing of the game as a whole (with very satisfying recurring themes and parallel narratives), but it felt like it lost its way at the end. Hopefully, per your experience, GAA2 wraps things up nicely; I did enjoy the tantalising unanswered questions set up from the very start, so the prospect of getting those resolved is compelling!

At the moment though, this is my Official AA Ranking:

Trials and Tribulations > Phoenix Wright > Apollo Justice >> Justice for All >> Great Ace Attorney >>>> 3DS series > Miles Edgeworth Investigations

(though obviously the original trilogy should really be treated as a whole, at which point they top the list as a cluster)

And yes, the music throughout GAA is brilliant, I'm very tempted to buy it to go along with my original trilogy soundtracks.

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Trials and Tribulations > Phoenix Wright > Apollo Justice >> Justice for All >> Great Ace Attorney >>>> 3DS series > Miles Edgeworth Investigations

There's no way that the excellent Spirit of Justice (AA6) is weaker than Justice for All. I replayed JFA recently and it really is a very weak entry. It gets away with it because it's the middle part of a trilogy.

I'd go for:

AA3 > AA6 > AA1 > AA4 > AA5 > AA2 > Edgeworth, too early to say yet where GAA fits in.

I'm still playing through GAA2, it's better than the first but still very long-winded. I'd like a Reader's Digest version of these two games with half of the repetitive text boxes and most of the animations removed. The pacing is very self-indulgent.

Spirit of Justice is the only game in the series (aside from Edgeworth) that I've not completed; its opening wore my patience as badly as Justice for All's misjudged start, only with added slightly uncomfortable fictional Asian country trappings, and given its predecessor I had no urge to carry on with it. Perhaps I should give it another go at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 15:52, Wiper said:

I finished GAA1 last week, and overall enjoyed it - but I was surprised by how weak the final chapter was. Usually the climaxes of Ace Attorney games are their highlight, but this one just didn't quite work for me - it felt more contrived and less, well, captivating than previous entries.

It was a shame, as I love the characters, and very much liked the structure and framing of the game as a whole (with very satisfying recurring themes and parallel narratives), but it felt like it lost its way at the end. Hopefully, per your experience, GAA2 wraps things up nicely; I did enjoy the tantalising unanswered questions set up from the very start, so the prospect of getting those resolved is compelling!

(though obviously the original trilogy should really be treated as a whole, at which point they top the list as a cluster)

And yes, the music throughout GAA is brilliant, I'm very tempted to buy it to go along with my original trilogy soundtracks.

I would put the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles above the original trilogy and I'm ridiculously excited for AA7 and a potential GAA3 if they change their minds after the worldwide release.

On 10/11/2021 at 18:13, Wiper said:

Spirit of Justice is the only game in the series (aside from Edgeworth) that I've not completed; its opening wore my patience as badly as Justice for All's misjudged start, only with added slightly uncomfortable fictional Asian country trappings, and given its predecessor I had no urge to carry on with it. Perhaps I should give it another go at some point.

Spirit of Justice has a lot of stuff that annoys me but I still prefer it to Dual Destinies.