Psp - Price Point

CouldBeWorse

If I can get a Game Boy Advance SP for £80, a Compact Flash media player for it for £25, and 512MB Compact Flash card for £55, why should I get a PSP when that setup does everything I want to?

Well you shouldn't, if that all you want your device to do.

That spectacularly misses the point though, since that's not all the PSP is or does.

So infact the reasons that make the extra cost viable (thus making it more than a GBA) are null because nothing but games will actually be supported. In theory meaning fewer people can justify the cost leading to no movies, no music and an expencive 3D GameBoy?

If it all pulls off it will be stunning, no doubt there, but I mean, so much can go wrong...

Well yes, there is a chicken and egg element. But then you will get peopel willing to adopt the new standrad, other wise we would never have DVD or Xbox etc. The early adopters will pay the price, and take the risk of course - But this is no different to any other launch of new technology.

What?

Surely you have paid something similar for games in total last year - Or if you have a DVD player, or a Widecreen TV, or any other gadget.

£250 disposable income, or savings is £250 regardless of what you spend it on. Nothing to do with being "overpaid"

Maybe I'm just a tight bastard, but no, I have never paid above £200 for ANY gadget (apart from my SLR which was £400 - saved £600 by buying it in Hong Kong instead of over here.) I waited till all the consoles dropped below £170 (I own all three) and the only game I've ever paid full whack for is Zelda TWW, because of the bonus disc included. I will NEVER pay £40 for a game, I always shop around and get it on special offers or 2nd hand. I might make an exception with Halo 2, but I'm sure it'll go for £29.99 online. I did import Animal Crossing though but that's the most I've ever paid for a game.

Seeing as my playing time is severely limited by a demanding job, I don't think exorbitant gaming expenses are justified. Probably half the games I got last year I got as gifts.

At least I had money for some very foreign holidays last year.

So infact the reasons that make the extra cost viable (thus making it more than a GBA) are null because nothing but games will actually be supported. In theory meaning fewer people can justify the cost leading to no movies, no music and an expencive 3D GameBoy?

If it all pulls off it will be stunning, no doubt there, but I mean, so much can go wrong...

Well yes, there is a chicken and egg element. But then you will get peopel willing to adopt the new standrad, other wise we would never have DVD or Xbox etc. The early adopters will pay the price, and take the risk of course - But this is no different to any other launch of new technology.

But then, Minidisk, Lazerdisk, Betamax etc all failed.

Swings and roundabouts!

Why do lower licence costs mean cheaper games?

GameCube, Xbox and PS2 games are all about the same price, yet the licence paid to each company is quite different? Yes...

It's called price fixing. Never proven, but I am convinced it happens. It is not in Nintendo's, MS's or Sony's interest to see the price of games drop, therefore they agree not to start a price war by lowering the SRP of thier games.

I mean will there be home versions of the PSP disc players, so you can "take your home movies out with you"?

Otherwise you've got a DVD player at home, and a PSP movie player on the go = twice as many movies.

Or am I just confusing myself?

The PSP screen res is lower than DVD. The movies will be compressed for the small screen.

Who's going to want to shell out for a portable version of a movie though? Especially when the real market for such devices - long distance travelling - is now on aeroplanes, where laser devices aren't allowed?

Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer to spend my money on a high-res DVD for my home player than a compressed, inferior and little-used product.

Swings and roundabouts!

I'd hardly call Minidisc a failure in this country. As for the other two, they were never really pushed over here.

I can buy albums for my Minidisk player where?

Who's going to want to shell out for a portable version of a movie though? Especially when the real market for such devices - long distance travelling - is now on aeroplanes, where laser devices aren't allowed?

Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer to spend my money on a high-res DVD for my home player than a compressed, inferior and little-used product.

Indeed, as would I.

The only way I would watch movies on a portable device is if I could get them on there for free rather than buying a lower-res version of a film I've probably already bought.

Why do lower licence costs mean cheaper games?

GameCube, Xbox and PS2 games are all about the same price, yet the licence paid to each company is quite different? Yes...

Retailer pressure could bump up the cost of games no matter what Sony plan, Nintendo have a RRP of £29.99 on GBA software but many of the big retailers till sell it for £34.99.

Plus does nobody remember the fuss the kicked up when the original Playstation software dropped to £29.99 late in it's lifespan? Retailers will only accept a lower software price is they can still make a very good margin on it.

On the cost side £250 is far too high, MP3 players are dirt cheap today and how many folk will actually watch movies on a handheld? Anything over £150 is absurd in my opinion.

Also when will we see any game footage from this beast? I've seen pages worth of tech specs, but nothing on games. :angry:

Swings and roundabouts!

I'd hardly call Minidisc a failure in this country. As for the other two, they were never really pushed over here.

The Minidisc has been popular in the UK, I've got one, many of my friends do, even ones without PCs.

The GBA does have an MP3 player add-on, but the quality is quite bad, so you may as well go for one of the small keyring type ones, for £50.

I can't see the PSP selling very well, even among the casuals. Even for £199.99, it'll be overpriced. £149.99, and I'd probably get one - but that's assuming that all this video play will actually work at all. And if they have any half decent games.

are the disks writable? if so maybe films could be copied onto them via the PS2 or PSX hardrive? i'm probably talking crap here though :angry:

Swings and roundabouts!

You're missing the point of Minidiscs...

Like entering the console world as a rank outsider as with the original Playstation... And look where they are now.

As for the price - why is it many people here seem to feel it is the duty of electronics hardware manufacturers to sell everything at a total loss?

Let's just go with the hype for a minute here:

This is said to be a games platform that has near PS2 graphics with a built in widescreen and surround sound plus potential support as a movie/MP3/whatever player. Even after 4 years of inflation it looks set to at the minimum be released for £50 less than the PS2 launched for...

I guess I'm just an iPod owning sucker, but I fail to see where this amounts to a rip-off. Seems pretty cheap to me.

And the GBA stands to carry on doing just fine as I see them as quite different markets. GBA is inexpensive but close to SNES graphics. PSP is expensive but close to PS2 graphics.

I can't believe people are seriously talking about parting with £250 for something they have yet seen. No pictures of the machine have been shown, no games have been shown, not real concrete details on how the movie side of things will work... Their marketing team really are the best.

Personaly from the information I have at the moment I'm not interested. The movie part I think is not going to work very well. How many times do you need to watch a movie whilst on the go? And just how many times are you going to watch that movie? MP3 wise it could be good I guess, but then again the people this is aimed at probably have another expensive gadget to play their MP3s already.

I hope it goes well and I hope things will change but at the moment it seems like an expensive toy rather than an essential piece of kit.

Minidisk has not delivered what it intended to.

Whoever makes the unit gets the profit from it - naturally.

Though after that sale, other than blank disks - how has it made anyone any money?

If the PSP turned into this - it would be a failure.

Swings and roundabouts!

Anywhere. They're called CDs :angry: . You buy whichever CD you want and one blank MD. You can store lots of albums on one MD if you use long play. It's legimate to have a copy of a CD on MD if you own the original. Legitimate and very flexible.

And Sony have just announced one gig MDs haven't they? That must have some connection to PSP storage IMO.

Like entering the console world as a rank outsider as with the original Playstation... And look where they are now.

As for the price - why is it many people here seem to feel it is the duty of electronics hardware manufacturers to sell everything at a total loss?

Let's just go with the hype for a minute here:

This is said to be a games platform that has near PS2 graphics with a built in widescreen and surround sound plus potential support as a movie/MP3/whatever player. Even after 4 years of inflation it looks set to at the minimum be released for £50 less than the PS2 launched for...

I guess I'm just an iPod owning sucker, but I fail to see where this amounts to a rip-off. Seems pretty cheap to me.

And the GBA stands to carry on doing just fine as I see them as quite different markets. GBA is inexpensive but close to SNES graphics. PSP is expensive but close to PS2 graphics.

The Playstation wasn't trying to eat three pies at once.

Sony have failed before, and I am fairly sure it will happen again.

No comapny has a flawless track record!

Though after that sale, other than blank disks - how has it made anyone any money?

What does it matter how many other accessories the Minidisc has sold aside from blank discs?

What was the original intention then? I'd seriously like to know.

And yes, you can pick up albums, I remember seeing some in Dixons a while back...

But the Minidisc (that's a c) supplies me with recordable music on the go (e.g. find a headphone socket, plug it in and record), and all the many downloads I've acquired.

The PSP wouldn't be a failure if it sold bugger all games, not if the console itself sold many units. As there would still be a profit, as highlighted in the news article.

It was intended to deliver a recordable medium that offered CD quality audio. In that respect it was a total sucess. Remember, at the time of launch CD writers were prohibitivley expensive, and it is only relatively recently that MP3 has offered the same level of functionality.

Remeber it is a propritetry format - Sony make money of every single MD player & disk sold.

Pre-recorded Minidiscs were never the main feature.

MD wanted to replace tapes, which it has done pretty well at.

The Playstation wasn't trying to eat three pies at once.

Sony have failed before, and I am fairly sure it will happen again.

No comapny has a flawless track record!

True. However, I think so long as Sony pitch this thing as a "Portable PS2" they will do just fine. Right enough though, even though the added features are a bonus they would be very ill-advised to make too much of them initially as it will only blur what the thing actually is in the massmarket consumer's mind.

What does it matter how many other accessories the Minidisc has sold aside from blank discs?

What was the original intention then? I'd seriously like to know.

And yes, you can pick up albums, I remember seeing some in Dixons a while back...

But the Minidisc (that's a c) supplies me with recordable music on the go (e.g. find a headphone socket, plug it in and record), and all the many downloads I've acquired.

The PSP wouldn't be a failure if it sold bugger all games, not if the console itself sold many units. As there would still be a profit, as highlighted in the news article.

So you are seriously suggesting that it would be fine if the PSP was the pirates dream? No offical software/movies/sounds at all?

You are on another planet.

The Minidisc was supposed to be the next CD, but with all the benefits of tape.

You can get Minidisk albums pretty much no-where.

On that front, its been a huge flop. In terms of a viable alternative to a tapor CD compilation - its been great.

Though Sony will not want the PSP to go the same way. This is a bid to make huge great big piles of cash.