Psp - Price Point

CouldBeWorse

My GBA isn't back lit, its pink for Christ's sake but it does me proud with games like Advance Wars 2, Metroid Fusion and FFTA. I can see some great GBA games still to come and these games tend to compliment (rather than repeat) console and PC gaming experiences.

The PSP will have brand new 3D games, specially deveoped for the machine, plus I guess a wide range of ports (although I understand porting won't be easy). This will not initially compliment games being played at home. No way will it be worth £250.

If the rumours of a handheld GC come anywhere near to fruition, that would kind of compliment the home console as its exactly the same games with potentially the same discs (ie if you have both machines you only need one game). I appreciate that this is unlikely but, consider the £250 price point of a PSP with a GBASP and some sort of handheld GC as competition!

I can't believe people are seriously talking about parting with £250 for something they have yet seen.

Well, it’s a portable PlayStation, it’s going to be packed with features and every developer and his dog are supporting it.

I don’t need to see what the thing looks like :angry:

Minidisk has not delivered what it intended to.

Whoever makes the unit gets the profit from it - naturally.

Though after that sale, other than blank disks - how has it made anyone any money?

If the PSP turned into this - it would be a failure.

What does it matter how many other accessories the Minidisc has sold aside from blank discs?

What was the original intention then? I'd seriously like to know.

And yes, you can pick up albums, I remember seeing some in Dixons a while back...

But the Minidisc (that's a c) supplies me with recordable music on the go (e.g. find a headphone socket, plug it in and record), and all the many downloads I've acquired.

The PSP wouldn't be a failure if it sold bugger all games, not if the console itself sold many units. As there would still be a profit, as highlighted in the news article.

So you are seriously suggesting that it would be fine if the PSP was the pirates dream? No offical software/movies/sounds at all?

You are on another planet.

The Minidisc was supposed to be the next CD, but with all the benefits of tape.

You can get Minidisk albums pretty much no-where.

On that front, its been a huge flop. In terms of a viable alternative to a tapor CD compilation - its been great.

Though Sony will not want the PSP to go the same way. This is a bid to make huge great big piles of cash.

The Minidisc is just for pirating methods now? A lot of people copy from CD to Minidisc for a portable means to listen to their music (with being able to fit on around 10 albums in some cases).

The Minidisc, as explained above, was meant to be the next step up from tape, but with the recording facility. For example now, you can't get tapes anywhere.

So I don't think you've really got the idea of it yet. :angry:

Why?

What if I don't play games at home?

Then within reason thats either because you can't afford to or don't like games. If you were unsure whether you liked games or not, your first port of call might well be a GBA, not a £250 PSP.

Now I appreciate that some 'stuff collectors' will want to buy the all important next gadget but only if they liked playing games.

The PSP will presumably use proprietary formats. This will mean that the only software, be it movies, games, or music that you will be able to use on the device will be strictly controlled by Sony. Common in the games industry, not so for music and films. People expect to be able to buy any film from any company on a common format and be able to plonk it in their DVD player and watch it. Same concept applies to CDs.

For films to be stored on the new smaller discs there will need to be a new movie format, which all of the movie studios would have to buy into for it to be truly viable. And these won't be discs that you can just bung in your dvd player at home and watch them, so it's yet another format for consumers to contend with.

There is no way the movie industry is gonna let Sony confuse the consumers in the DVD market. It takes years and years to establish a format. And surely, people will object to buying two copies of the same film, one on each format.

And video on demand will be hotly contested with the mobile phone industry.

So that means we fall back on music and games, both of which have mature portable industries. So what are Sony bringing to the party that is new? Not a lot, really. A handheld 3D games platform. That'll end up fighting tooth and nail with the next Nintendo handheld, which'll also do 3D, I'll bet.

PSP will have it's work cut out...

There is no way the movie industry is gonna let Sony confuse the consumers in the DVD market. It takes years and years to establish a format. And surely, people will object to buying two copies of the same film, one on each format.

The reason is take years is that usually, you have a consortium of companies which all have to agree on specification. With a proprietry format you do not have such problems.

As for the movie industry "letting" Sony reelase a new format, they have little choice. The only choice the have is to support it, or not. Which is entirely dependant on the amount of units Sony sell.

You point with regards to 2 buying the same film twice is valid, and it will be intresting to see is UMD comes as a recordable standard in order to allow people to tranfers thier existing DVD's to the new format - Although I doubt it, as JP pointed out, in order to fit a movie on the disc, it will be at a reduced resolution - a 2 inch screen does not require 625 lines for example.

..it will be intresting to see is UMD comes as a recordable standard in order to allow people to tranfers thier existing DVD's to the new format - Although I doubt it, as JP pointed out, in order to fit a movie on the disc, it will be at a reduced resolution - a 2 inch screen does not require 625 lines for example.

Perhaps the PSP will come with software that can reduce the quality down as you transfer movies from PC to PSP via USB. :angry:

Would that then mean blank PSP discs becoming the norm?

Does seem unlikely, yes.

Perhaps the PSP will come with software that can reduce the quality down as you transfer movies from PC to PSP via USB. :angry:

Would that then mean blank PSP discs becoming the norm?

Does seem unlikely, yes.

It's not unfeasible. However, as with most consumer electronics, you want full functionality out of the box. As soon as you start involving third party prduct, you limit your customer base. So, if Sony say "yes you can transfer, if you have a PC blah blah blah" then they start to lose interest. What would be more prefereable from a marketing point of view, is a scart lead you pb from te DVD into the PSP and do it that way.

Yes, unlikely. For starters you would be circumventing macrovision etc.

I hadn't thought of this "But the same film twice" aspect - it does put a dampener on things.

They, erm... don't?!  :angry:

Oops.

Well, I flew to Budapest at New Year and it was stated very clearly that disc based thingies can't be used at any time on the plane. That was on both flights too. Whether it's just Malev's policy I don't know.

I went on the slightly less glamourous Easyjet who also have introduced this rule. "You can use laptops, but not he CD drive" etc.

However, as with most consumer electronics, you want full functionality out of the box. As soon as you start involving third party prduct, you limit your customer base. So, if Sony say "yes you can transfer, if you have a PC blah blah blah" then they start to lose interest. What would be more prefereable from a marketing point of view, is a scart lead you pb from te DVD into the PSP and do it that way.

Yeah. I suppose the ultimate simplicity would be the "buy a disc and slot it in" method, but if that became an option then you can totally rule out any official DVD transfer tools from Sony, as no-one would be buying the official PSP discs.

Perhaps to someone with no interest in home movies, 'buying the same thing twice' wouldn't be an issue. But that's not much of a consumer base really.

but if that became an option then you can totally rule out any official DVD transfer tools from Sony, as no-one would be buying the official PSP discs.

Not necessarily - As a proprietry format, of course, every single blank disc sold would earn Sony money.

but if that became an option then you can totally rule out any official DVD transfer tools from Sony, as no-one would be buying the official PSP discs.

Not necessarily - As a proprietry format, of course, every single blank disc sold would earn Sony money.

Ah but the film companies wouldn't bother releasing any of their films on PSP discs, if they knew any Joe out there could just make his own, officially.

One thing that pissed me off about the BGA:SP was that I saw so many snotty nosed kids with one as well at launch. It completly ruined the image nitnendo built up around the SP ie for adults, stylish etc.

So 250 for the PSP seems like a suitable price for what it is.

Ah but the film companies wouldn't bother releasing any of their films on PSP discs, if they knew any Joe out there could just make his own, officially.

Well no, of course, but its a trade off isn't it. What would earn Sony more money? Blank discs sold by the thousand, or pre-recorded films that sell poorly due to DVD overlap.

In any event, its a moot point - The more i think about it, the more I think recordable UMD, for film at least, is unlikely in the extreme.

One thing that pissed me off about the BGA:SP was that I saw so many snotty nosed kids with one as well at launch. It completly ruined the image nitnendo built up around the SP ie for adults, stylish etc.

Yeah, they shoulda charged more for it. That woulda kept the snotty-nosed little kids away from our hardcore electronic gaming devices.

Yeah, kids shouldn't play games.

Yeah, kids shouldn't play games.

little shits shouldnt be allowed to buy a GBA:SP :angry:

"There is no way the movie industry is gonna let Sony confuse the consumers in the DVD market. It takes years and years to establish a format. And surely, people will object to buying two copies of the same film, one on each format"

Exactly my sentiments.

I have a rather large DVD selection that I extract huge amounts of enjoyment from by watching on my plasma telly... There is *no* way I'm going to re-purchase any of those films to watch while on the move.

Movies, unlike films and music, need to be given an allocated time between 90-180 minutes to enjoy. On a number of 25 minute bus or train journeys, chances are that you are not going to get into a film and enjoy it. So, you'll only likely buy movies for the PSP that you already have... but.. erm... why would you re-buy them? I'm confused at what Sony is trying to achieve here. Even if the device has a video out.. is it going to be good enough to compete with a progressive scan DVD with component video....? I think not.

So.. for normal punter on the street, I can't see the appeal. They *may* buy a few films as a novelty, but, they'd rather use DVD since they already own one of those and the quality is better...

So... it comes down to games and music... and... personally... I'm not that fussed about the music side of it.... For me.. 250 quid is a bit pricey and it does lots of things that I'm not that bothered about... (for the same reasons I don't own a pocket PC... woohoo windows media player in my pocket... woo... erm.... why?)