Psp - Price Point

CouldBeWorse

Minidisk has not delivered what it intended to.

Whoever makes the unit gets the profit from it - naturally.

Though after that sale, other than blank disks - how has it made anyone any money?

If the PSP turned into this - it would be a failure.

What does it matter how many other accessories the Minidisc has sold aside from blank discs?

What was the original intention then? I'd seriously like to know.

And yes, you can pick up albums, I remember seeing some in Dixons a while back...

But the Minidisc (that's a c) supplies me with recordable music on the go (e.g. find a headphone socket, plug it in and record), and all the many downloads I've acquired.

The PSP wouldn't be a failure if it sold bugger all games, not if the console itself sold many units. As there would still be a profit, as highlighted in the news article.

So you are seriously suggesting that it would be fine if the PSP was the pirates dream? No offical software/movies/sounds at all?

You are on another planet.

The Minidisc was supposed to be the next CD, but with all the benefits of tape.

You can get Minidisk albums pretty much no-where.

On that front, its been a huge flop. In terms of a viable alternative to a tapor CD compilation - its been great.

Though Sony will not want the PSP to go the same way. This is a bid to make huge great big piles of cash.

The Minidisc is just for pirating methods now? A lot of people copy from CD to Minidisc for a portable means to listen to their music (with being able to fit on around 10 albums in some cases).

The Minidisc, as explained above, was meant to be the next step up from tape, but with the recording facility. For example now, you can't get tapes anywhere.

So I don't think you've really got the idea of it yet. :angry:

That wasn't its original design idea. It was supposed to be the new CD.

Then it ain't for you!

BUT...

I'd *love* to play PS2 quality games on the go... So... if only it was purely a games machine with the proposed specs and a bit cheaper.

I appreciate that Sony are aiming it as the walkman for the new centuary, but, it's the whole "video on the move thing" that I just don't get. Perhaps I'm missing something.

... and for music... surely iPod has that market wrapped up?

Wasn't there a proposed MP3 extension for GBA coming?

"Games, surely? "

Not really... many "pick up and play games" you can have a quick shot of, do a few races, shoot a few baddies, clear out a level or what have you in a short period of time.

Wario Ware is the perfect example of a great game for handheld devices.

EDIT: Also, there's the whole "cinema" thing. Where would *you* rather watch a film you hadn't seen before. Spread out over 4 bus journeys on a 5" screen with headphones, or at home, on your couch in front of your own system with munchies and beer?

"Games, surely? "

Not really... many "pick up and play games" you can have a quick shot of, do a few races, shoot a few baddies, clear out a level or what have you in a short period of time.

Erm... that was my point.

What's the difference between movies and films then?

BUT...

I'd *love* to play PS2 quality games on the go... So... if only it was purely a games machine with the proposed specs and a bit cheaper.

I said the same thing about the N-Gage. Sadly, it wasn't to be, so I ignored the damned thing.

I appreciate that Sony are aiming it as the walkman for the new centuary, but, it's the whole "video on the move thing" that I just don't get.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

I dunno really. I guess it's the convenience of having 'everything in one'.

I don't have an MP3 player at the moment, for example (I rely solely on CDs), so a portable PS2 + MP3player + some (easy, hopefully) way to watch movies on the go (or toilet) would be very good for me.

All in one, nice and small, portable entertainment. With a keyring attachment hopefully!

Yes, and look at the cost of the thing. It was estimated that during peak time in december, there was one being sold worldwide every ten minutes. It just goes to show, if you market it right, and it becomes the "must have" item, then price has very little to do with success.

If Sony can make the PSP the next "must have" item (and lets face it, they are rather good at doing that) then £250 is going to seem like a bargain to man people

"Games, surely? "

Eh? You've lost me.

Games you can pick up and play and discard... at least you can with arcade games.

Movies, in order to enjoy, particularly a movie you have never seen, you need to dedicate a set amount of time in one sitting. See my edited post above.

"Games, surely? "

Eh? You've lost me.

Games you can pick up and play and discard... at least you can with arcade games.

Movies, in order to enjoy, particularly a movie you have never seen, you need to dedicate a set amount of time in one sitting. See my edited post above.

You said: "Movies, unlike films and music, need to be given an allocated time between 90-180 minutes to enjoy. "

Did you mean games instead of films?

Since it is highly unlikely we will have multiple retail formats for movie storage, the only option would be for people to be able to copy existing DVDs they own on to the PSP. And this would breach copyright. Since you'd have to rip the DVDs and convert them, blah blah blah, and we all know how much the movie and music industries support that scene...

I just cannot see where Sony are going with this aspect of the PSP.

A home system that consolidates multiple entertainment devices into one box I can see, TV recorder / games console / DVD player / recorder / etc. etc. But a hand held typically has to use alternate technologies to make things portable, and that is the problem. Much as I am sure that Sony would love to control the media standards that film and music are delivered on, the industries concerned do not share that sentiment. This was a key reason that mini-disc struggled. And Sony are deluding themselves if they think that anything has changed on this front. Whilst there may end up being a new portable movie standard, it will almost certainly be based on something from the MPEG guys using a common technology.

like nintendo and sega had the console market wrapped up 10 years ago?

and you think sony are going to sit there and watch apple take one of their biggest markets? of course they aren't. sony has dominated portable music for years, they're not going to just give up. they're going to come back with something that plays music and film and games, and, knowing sony, will be able to compete with the ipod in terms of style as well.

"Games, surely? "

Eh? You've lost me.

You said: "Movies, unlike films and music, need to be given an allocated time between 90-180 minutes to enjoy. "

Did you mean games instead of films?

aye... meant games.

doh.

and you think sony are going to sit there and watch apple take one of their biggest markets? of course they aren't. sony has dominated portable music for years, they're not going to just give up. they're going to come back with something that plays music and film and games, and, knowing sony, will be able to compete with the ipod in terms of style as well.

I think Sony fucked themselves on that front well enough without Apple's 'help'.

What kind of storage are we talking about on the PSP? Are we saying Gigabytes worth? the iPod can contain months of music now... so much music it's just mad... So.. the iPod will go for the storage thing... either that or it will drop in price.

Sony already have loads of MP3 players out there.. smaller and much much more compact than the iPod (but not as nice looking imho), but the iPod is still ROMPING this sector. Bolting a games console onto the MP3 player and adding (imho a superflous) movie format isn't going to help...

imho

What kind of storage are we talking about on the PSP? Are we saying Gigabytes worth? the iPod can contain months of music now... so much music it's just mad... So.. the iPod will go for the storage thing... either that or it will drop in price.

Sony already have loads of MP3 players out there.. smaller and much much more compact than the iPod (but not as nice looking imho), but the iPod is still ROMPING this sector. Bolting a games console onto the MP3 player and adding (imho a superflous) movie format isn't going to help...

imho

there's loads of players which can compete with the ipod in terms of storage space, they don't do as well, because the ipod is small and fashionable. if sony get that right, they can take the market back.

what you also all seem to be forgetting in assuming film companies wouldn't allow people to rip dvds to a PSP disc is that... the ones owned by sony would. don't forget, sony are on both sides of this, hardware and content.

sony's film and music companies could support this, which would give them some content to make available to customers to start out with. if it was successful, others would follow.

That wasn't its original design idea. It was supposed to be the new CD.

No it wasn't

Yes it was.

Why else was all of Sony Music's releases out on Minidisc at this time?

Its main intention was the "new" music format.

What came out of it was something totally different which Sony have embraced extremely effectively.

But what do you think Sony would rather have; a peice of the Music copy business - or the stranglehold on the entire music intustry?

Ther PSP has the features it does for the UMD. If Sony have it their way - it will be the next CD.

It doesn't use flash cards, it uses disks.

Its supposedly smart stick compatable. That means no card inside - but a smart stick plugs into a port on the unit. This would be what allows the PSP to hold MP3's and other such files?

Who knows.

Its going to be pretty cool regardless of cost. I just doubt that its all going to work as well as some of you are hoping.

Its supposedly smart stick compatable. That means no card inside - but a smart stick plugs into a port on the unit. This would be what allows the PSP to hold MP3's and other such files?

You mean memory stick. Yeah but I think thats how Mp3 are going to played* dont know about video files though.

*like you said

You mean memory stick. Yeah but I think thats how Mp3 are going to played* dont know about video files though.

*like you said

Thats the one!

maybe but if the industry embraces it i.e. they make money out of it then it's no more questionable than recording on to blank minidiscs, cd's, dvd's, mp3 players etc. what's the difference?

Thats the point, the whole legality of it is questionable. Copying anything is a big grey area.