Psp - Price Point

CouldBeWorse

as long as you own the original it's legal. it's the same as putting a CD on your ipod or your minidisc player.

It's not about the legality - it's the obvious abuse such a system would face, and Sony would never openly endorse something that could easily open the doors to piracy.

Or at least, not any more.

i think if Sony plans on letting us watch films on PSP and if it wishes to grow the format beyond that, maybe for use in other devices then recordable disks is a much better way than trying to market a whole new range of mini DVD's. i just can't see it taking off and if they don't allow you to do it this way it won't long before someone else does; next gen ipods for example.

EDIT. awful grammar and spelling corrected. maybe!

no it isn't.

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/dh69/ffi/

edit: link may not be entirely relevant, but should be read by everyone nontheless.

That would be funny. But it isn't.

the relevant bit is elsewhere, so it's not the article I was thinking of.

anyway, suffice to say you can legally back up anything you've already paid for for your own use. Films, Music, Games.

no way would a movie format be successful on the PSP.

I wouldnt want to buy 2 copies of a film (one for handheld/one for home) plus the fact its a small screen, lower resolution, stereo sound.. whats the point. Plus im not gonna watch the film everyday.

Sounds more like a novelty thing to me. I doubt it will happen.

I wouldnt want to buy 2 copies of a film (one for handheld/one for home) plus the fact its a small screen, lower resolution, stereo sound.. whats the point. Plus im not gonna watch the film everyday.

That's what they said about the wheel.

That's what they said about the wheel.

As a novelty?

I doubt it. Why would i buy two wheels for the same car (disrigarding the fact a car has 4 wheels). Why would i want a smaller wheel (that would give me less performance) over a larger wheel.

If I can get a Game Boy Advance SP for £80, a Compact Flash media player for it for £25, and 512MB Compact Flash card for £55, why should I get a PSP when that setup does everything I want to?

a 512mb compact flash disk is actually 64 real meg, and that's about room for one game, 2 mp3s and 3 minutes of video... that's not a lot, it's not a great setup now really is it? If you want your GBA to be a GBA and you don't want anything better at some point then you can go off and be happy with it, but you don't really have a case against the PSP. That said though, unless you can put recordable minidiscs into the PSP or there will be a dvd adaptor, the PSP will be about as good at music playback and movies as the GBA is. A new music and a new movie format won't take off, they'll die just like prerecorded minidiscs did.

So it just remains to be seen if the PSP will have good enough games and graphics to be worth buying at that price and to replace or suppliment a GBA. And that's all each of us has to ask ourselves before we reach into our wallets and purses.

a 512mb compact flash disk is actually 64 real meg, and that's about room for one game, 2 mp3s and 3 minutes of video... that's not a lot, it's not a great setup now really is it? If you want your GBA to be a GBA and you don't want anything better at some point then you can go off and be happy with it, but you don't really have a case against the PSP. That said though, unless you can put recordable minidiscs into the PSP or there will be a dvd adaptor, the PSP will be about as good at music playback and movies as the GBA is. A new music and a new movie format won't take off, they'll die just like prerecorded minidiscs did.

So it just remains to be seen if the PSP will have good enough games and graphics to be worth buying at that price and to replace or suppliment a GBA. And that's all each of us has to ask ourselves before we reach into our wallets and purses.

Sure you know what your talking about?!? True its 64mb, but you would fit more than one game, a few mp3s and a 3 minute of video on there.

One game - 4- 8mb

2 mp3s - 8mb

3 minute video - 10mb at most.

total - 26mb

Depending on the decoder used that is. You can fit 30mins into a 32mb card now with that weird device.

Its supposedly smart stick compatable. That means no card inside - but a smart stick plugs into a port on the unit. This would be what allows the PSP to hold MP3's and other such files?

You mean memory stick. Yeah but I think thats how Mp3 are going to played dont know about video files though.

^That's what I meant.

How big can these be at the moment? Can you store other media (ie. movies) on them?

Not at all.

What if I just have very little free time at home?

But plenty of free time when not at home....

Yes, plausible.

Are you being sarcastic?

If so, what possible reason would you have for suggesting such a situation isn't plausible?

I'm not at home for many hours a day. I'm away from home for many hours a day. Is that so strange that I want portable gaming fun more than I do at home?

PSP sounds aces!

Its supposedly smart stick compatable. That means no card inside - but a smart stick plugs into a port on the unit. This would be what allows the PSP to hold MP3's and other such files?

You mean memory stick. Yeah but I think thats how Mp3 are going to played dont know about video files though.

^That's what I meant.

How big can these be at the moment? Can you store other media (ie. movies) on them?

.::: They take just about every file format on my Clié PDA. The new Memory Sticks should take some large quantities but 128MB is the largest I've seen at shops.

Guru do you know what you are talking about?

One game - 4- 8mb

2 mp3s - 8mb

3 minute video - 10mb at most.

total - 26mb

Depending on the decoder used that is. You can fit 30mins into a 32mb card now with that weird device.

I think I was thinking of my 256mbit card :blink:

but a proper game is 16 meg, and double the capacity for the rest of it so 4 mp3s etc. It's still not a lot. the only real point of that example was that it's not really that much or worthwhile for movies and mp3s on the gba. not getting pedantic about small statistics :lol: The rest of my post I think is valid, as is that point in all but the specifics, I hope that alongside my small mistake being made that you understood or agreed or disagreed or read the rest of my post.

Not at all.

What if I just have very little free time at home?

But plenty of free time when not at home....

Yes, plausible.

Are you being sarcastic?

If so, what possible reason would you have for suggesting such a situation isn't plausible?

I'm not at home for many hours a day. I'm away from home for many hours a day. Is that so strange that I want portable gaming fun more than I do at home?

PSP sounds aces!

You just kept following a fucking stupid devil's advocate line of argument that's all.

You ended up confirming that the PSP will be ideal for someone who has never played games before, doesn't own a console, hasn't any free time at home for gaming, is away from home alot, has never wanted to try a GBA but will immediately go out and spend £250 on a PSP!

Perhaps Sony should mount their advertising campaign to specifically attract such punters - they may well end up selling two or three.

anyway, suffice to say you can legally back up anything you've already paid for for your own use. Films, Music, Games.

That's not strictly true. You can legally back up software - But bizarrely DVD's & CD's (films music) do not count as software, and as such, are not covered by section 50(a) of the Copyrights and patents act.

That's not strictly true. You can legally back up software - But bizarrely DVD's & CD's (films music) do not count as software, and as such, are not covered by section 50(a) of the Copyrights and patents act.

I guess that has been proven legal in Norway at least, after the so called 'DVD-Jon' was found not guilty. Backing up your dvds to make it possible to play them for instance in linux was found to be fair use.

You just kept following a fucking stupid devil's advocate line of argument that's all.

No I fucking don't.

You ended up confirming that the PSP will be ideal for someone who has never played games before, doesn't own a console, hasn't any free time at home for gaming, is away from home alot, has never wanted to try a GBA but will immediately go out and spend £250 on a PSP!

No I fucking didn't. Fucking listen. Fucker.

:lol:

I didn't say it would be ideal for someone who has never played games before, I was merely countering the point you made that it would be no good since it doesn't 'compliment' home console style games, rather copies them.

And I said what if I don't play games at home?

How you managed to assume that meant I don't play games at all is beyond me, but somehow you managed to ignore the Gameboy in all of its incarnations quite easily. :blink:

What the PSP is, is ideal for people who don't play games at home.

I have a GBA, and I want to buy a PSP as a natural 'upgrade' to the GBA, yes? Are you following me now? Is this sinking in? How is this not a feasable situation?! How is this playing devil's advocate?!

Remember kids, not everyone is;

A ) You

B ) Strictly devoted to a single brand

'FIGHT'

Using fucking as an adjective is one thing but using it as a noun, directed at me, is another. I can't be arsed to go through your argument - you know you were just being pedantic.

A few things you should know:

1. I'm not a kid (but I have two of my own)

2. I realise not everyone is me funnily enough. Not everyone is you either

3. As an owner of a PS2, two PCs, a GBA and a GC how am I devoted to a single brand? This generation I admit I don't own an Xbox (one of my PC's will play Halo, Half Life 2, Doom III though) or an N-Gage.

4. I am sure that I have annoyed you but your continual pedantic one liners annoy me - I am sure you are trying to become a version of Phreak (from the Edge forum) on rllmuk but, unfortunately he tended to have logical and well thought out views alongside his argumentativeness.

5. Don't be such a prat when somebody has an alternative view, oh and don't call me names either. It doesn't make you look big or clever.

I can't be arsed to go through your argument - you know you were just being pedantic.

I reeeeeally wasn't, dammit! I made a point that was near enough true to life. And you claimed it was playing Devil's Advocate - which I (FACTUALLY) wasn't. Because I am not lying.

As an owner of a PS2, two PCs, a GBA and a GC how am I devoted to a single brand?

I didn't say you were. :blink: You've assumed yet another thing.

What I meant was that you seemed to see the PSP as the 'only choice' for a portable gaming for someone who doesn't really play them at home. As if it was impossible to go from Gameboy > GameGear > GBA > PSP, for example. Handhelds have been around for a long time, whoever the manufacturer.

Sorry if you didn't 'get' where I was coming from with that one.

I am sure that I have annoyed you but your continual pedantic one liners annoy me

You didn't annoy me. I wasn't intentionally swearing at you, just mimicking yours. You saw the :rollyeyeswinky:, no?

I am sure you are trying to become a version of Phreak (from the Edge forum) on rllmuk

I don't know who that is.

..but, unfortunately he tended to have logical and well thought out views alongside his argumentativeness.

I have used nothing but logical, well-thought views. You, however, have contorted them with assumptions of things that I never said.

Don't be such a prat when somebody has an alternative view, oh and don't call me names either. It doesn't make you look big or clever.

:lol:

Thanks for all of that Sprite Machine. I'm bored now.

Turning back to the topic, I will probably get a PSP at some stage too but I do think that a launch price of £250 is just too high. I guess they are angling for the young adult market for the device but, remember in the UK a high proportion of us drive rather than use public transport - this probably leaps massively in the US where virtually everyone drives. Travelling is a key usage time for portable gaming or, if you're a kid, just being out and about.

You have to think that Sony will want teenagers to have the machine too and this makes the price point questionable. I realise its not gaming only but surely it has to appeal as a gaming machine first and formost?