Psp - Price Point

CouldBeWorse

How much was the GBA SP when it launched?

As for the PSP, even if it is £250 you're sure getting a lot for your money...

Games, music and movies

4.5" TFT LCD with backlight

MPEG-4

ATRAC/AAC

USB 2.0, Memory Stick™ slot

1.8gb UMD

anyway, suffice to say you can legally back up anything you've already paid for for your own use. Films, Music, Games.

That's not strictly true. You can legally back up software - But bizarrely DVD's & CD's (films music) do not count as software, and as such, are not covered by section 50(a) of the Copyrights and patents act.

I guess that has been proven legal in Norway at least, after the so called 'DVD-Jon' was found not guilty. Backing up your dvds to make it possible to play them for instance in linux was found to be fair use.

...and proving that a DVD *isn't* software in a court of law, when it clearly *is* software, would be an astounding feat, probably involving the chewbacca defence.

which leaves music... where would Sony and Apple be if you couldn't legitimately encode your CDs to MD/ATRAC/mp3? you can.

Returning OT, I think £250 is a pretty decent launch price IF it can do everything Sony claim it can. There's some impressive tech bundled in there.

Anyone who bought/wants an iPod and thinks the PSP is overpriced: you are an idiot.

I'm quite happy to predict that the PSP will be on EVERY gamer's Xmas list this year once we've seen it running. Assuming it makes 2004, anyway! :blink:

DVD-Jon was not on trial for backing up his DVDs...

It's illegal to copy CDs. It's copyright infringement, regardless of why you're doing it. If it wasn't why would record companies put stuff on the CD to prevent you copying CDs?

DVD-Jon was not on trial for backing up his DVDs...

It's illegal to copy CDs. It's copyright infringement, regardless of why you're doing it. If it wasn't why would record companies put stuff on the CD to prevent you copying CDs?

none of the 'protected CDs' have worried my PC for a second. nor have they worried Sony's official ATRAC conversion software for Net MD. which says a lot, considering Sony make (poorly) 'protected' CDs.

a decent lawyer could succesfully argue that the data on a music CD (and it IS data) is 'software' anyway.

I'm also pretty sure no-one's ever been charged for backing up CDs to CDs or tapes, records to DATs or anything like that. it would be lunacy if such a precedent were to be set.

on topic, I would be amazed if the PSP didn't come with Sony's ATRAC software to make CDs easily encodable for portable use, is the upshot of what I am saying.

anyway, suffice to say you can legally back up anything you've already paid for for your own use. Films, Music, Games.

That's not strictly true. You can legally back up software - But bizarrely DVD's & CD's (films music) do not count as software, and as such, are not covered by section 50(a) of the Copyrights and patents act.

I guess that has been proven legal in Norway at least, after the so called 'DVD-Jon' was found not guilty. Backing up your dvds to make it possible to play them for instance in linux was found to be fair use.

...and proving that a DVD *isn't* software in a court of law, when it clearly *is* software, would be an astounding feat, probably involving the chewbacca defence.

which leaves music... where would Sony and Apple be if you couldn't legitimately encode your CDs to MD/ATRAC/mp3? you can.

The reason DVD Jon won was because it was in Norway - And they have not yet ratified the European Copyright Directive - Whilst explicitly outlaws using protection circumvention to copy DVDs. A law bought into UK legislation in october 2003.

The reason DVD Jon won was because it was in Norway - And they have not yet ratified the European Copyright Directive - Whilst explicitly outlaws using protection circumvention to copy DVDs. A law bought into UK legislation in october 2003.

then doesn't that explicitly contravene existing laws which state any software can be backed up for fair personal use?

a DVD *is* software, and I'd be amazed if the law didn't recognise that. in fact it would smell funny.

a 512mb compact flash disk is actually 64 real meg, and that's about room for one game, 2 mp3s and 3 minutes of video... that's not a lot, it's not a great setup now really is it?

No, a 512MB Compact Flash card is 512 Mega-bytes, not Mega-bits. You know, half a gig?

Ohhh, yeah the things that you stick in cameras. Jack was talking about putting them in a GBA though, at the point in the debate that I was discussing. that's not the same, that's a flash cart he's talking about, which are in megabits.

Anyway, i'm quitting this topic, there's so much misunderstandings in this topic. Lets all just wait til it comes out hey.

We had numerous threads about this (shame Reverand is no more here...).

You're wrong. Back-up copies are legal, AFAIK.

And yes, I'm a lawyer.

Mwhaaa.

then doesn't that explicitly contravene existing laws which state any software can be backed up for fair personal use?

a DVD *is* software, and I'd be amazed if the law didn't recognise that. in fact it would smell funny.

I know, I know. Its wierd and strange and wrong. But it is what it is. I will see if I can dig out the legislation - But as thing stand, copying computer software for backup is legal, but, circumventing copy protection devices is illegal. A contradiction if ever there was one.

DVD's are classified as something other than software - I can't remember what. Godamnit where Campbell when you need him?

.::: They take just about every file format on my Clié PDA. The new Memory Sticks should take some large quantities but 128MB is the largest I've seen at shops.

The new(ish) MemoryStick Pro format goes up to 1gb the last I saw.

Darn expensive though!

Ohhh, yeah the things that you stick in cameras. Jack was talking about putting them in a GBA though, at the point in the debate that I was discussing. that's not the same, that's a flash cart he's talking about, which are in megabits.

Anyway, i'm quitting this topic, there's so much misunderstandings in this topic. Lets all just wait til it comes out hey.

Good enough for me.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3246

It is illegal to circumvent copy protection devices - Even to make your own MP3's of CD's you have bought.

in which case Sony sell software whose proper use (NOT abuse) is 'illegally' circumventing THEIR OWN CD COPY PROTECTION.

I don't need to tell you how dodgy that is ;)

oh, and a small note, but copying a standard CD doesn't involve circumventing any protection, because there isn't anything to circumvent...

in which case Sony sell software whose proper use (NOT abuse) is 'illegally' circumventing THEIR OWN CD COPY PROTECTION.

Exactly.

On the one had you have Sony -part of the Record Industry - lobbying and being successful through the DMCA and the EUCD for legal protection against circumvention measures. And yet Sony sell and presumably make a profit on MiniDisc players and blank media.

Hyprocracy of the highest order.

The whole issue is dodgy.

It is your right to backup software/music you own. Yet it is illeagal to circumvent copy protection. Therefore you could argue that companies that use copy protection are doing so illegally because it disables you from excercising your right to back up. This was the thrust of a piece written by Campbell in this months PC Zone.

Guru do you know what you are talking about?

One game - 4- 8mb

2 mp3s - 8mb

3 minute video - 10mb at most.

total - 26mb

Depending on the decoder used that is. You can fit 30mins into a 32mb card now with that weird device.

I think I was thinking of my 256mbit card ;)

but a proper game is 16 meg, and double the capacity for the rest of it so 4 mp3s etc. It's still not a lot. the only real point of that example was that it's not really that much or worthwhile for movies and mp3s on the gba. not getting pedantic about small statistics :D The rest of my post I think is valid, as is that point in all but the specifics, I hope that alongside my small mistake being made that you understood or agreed or disagreed or read the rest of my post.

Ah okay fair enough, I do agree then that even a 64mb card would be kinda pointless for mp3s/movies on the GBA.

oh, and a small note, but copying a standard CD doesn't involve circumventing any protection, because there isn't anything to circumvent...

At the moment.... We already have CD's that won't be read by CD-ROM drives without circumvention measures.

I don't need to tell you how dodgy that is  ;)

The whole issue is dodgy.

It is your right to backup software/music you own. Yet it is illeagal to circumvent copy protection. Therefore you could argue that companies that use copy protection are doing so illegally because it disables you from excercising your right to back up. This was the thrust of a piece written by Campbell in this months PC Zone.

Or you could argue that Sony are offending the very legislation they attempted to push through by selling Minidisc players that can circumvent their own copy protection measures.

And backing up your music isn't a legal right, per se.

At the moment.... We already have CD's that won't be read by CD-ROM drives without circumvention measures.

crap CD-ROM drives maybe.

mine has had no problem with any of the various 'protected' CDs I've tried.

and it's not circumventing anything, just running as normal.

even Sony stuff which says 'WILL NOT RUN ON PC' on the cover works, with or without the MD software.

crap CD-ROM drives maybe.

mine has had no problem with any of the various 'protected' CDs I've tried.

and it's not circumventing anything, just running as normal.

even Sony stuff which says 'WILL NOT RUN ON PC' on the cover works, with or without the MD software.

Yup, realplayer has no problem playing and copying Cd's. Take that Sony!