rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

If the load times were better the grinding wouldn't seem as much of a chore. As Dave says, there's a pretty lucrative route. But it shouldn't be necessary. Bring back Estus!

Check through your bloodgems to see if you have any health regen ones. The ones I have are slow but they are good to have equipped to save some vials when exploring. Only negative is that they only work if the weapon they are installed in is equipped, you don't get passive bonuses from your second equipped right hand weapon.

Linked to Timmo's post and this is Likely a daft question but does putting points into strength keep increase weapon damage?

So if I keep levelling strength the 'numbers that appear when I whack beasts will keep going up' or is that more a requirement for weapons and its the weapons/ gems that boost damage?

You can see that from the upgrade screen, when you increase the strength stat, it shows the damage increasing ( if it has strength scaling ).

Depending on the weapon you have, you might need to put it into Skill instead ( or both! ).

Yes. Not sure why Timmo's downplaying scaling, it's the only way you're getting extra damage while you wait for the upgrade materials you need. Pretty sure that by the end of the game about 50% of my damage output was coming from scaling and gems.

• Upvote 1

Linked to Timmo's post and this is Likely a daft question but does putting points into strength keep increase weapon damage?

So if I keep levelling strength the 'numbers that appear when I whack beasts will keep going up' or is that more a requirement for weapons and its the weapons/ gems that boost damage?

Yeah, putting points into strength will boost the damage output for weapons with strength requirements. Skill points buff it too, but only slightly. Likewise, for skill-based weapons like the cane pumping points into skill will give more, and strength only a little.

You can see the stat changes before investing points.

He's not downplaying scaling in so much that it is more important, in the early game, to get your Vit & End up, as you'll live longer & be able to swing your weapon more times before running out of stamina, or leave enough for an escape roll after your combo.

Started playing this last night and as a total newbie to the Souls games and a bit of a wimp when it comes to horror games in general (I'm still mentally scarred from playing through TLoU) I wasn't sure what to expect. After a couple of quick deaths from me failing to remember the controls, I started to get a feel for the range of the cleaver in it's different forms and timing the strike/evade pattern of attack.

I made it to the bonfire which I'd obviously read on here can be bit of a sticking point, and somehow managed to get through it in one piece. My heart was pounding by the end of it, and then I realised there was a large foe ahead and no sign of a lantern. Took him down with some Molotov's and then found a shortcut that led to a couple more of them, and then stupidly died trying to rush in and finish off the second one who had a tiny slither of health left.

Anyway, I cautiously made it back there on my next go, finished him off and got my 5000+ vials back. I pushed on, desperately hoping to see a lantern, and eventually ended up on a bridge. I then met CB and suffice to say I died and lost all my vials, and that was the end of a brutal, punishing, horrific but thoroughly enjoyable first night with Bloodborne.

So, I'm guessing from reading the last few pages that I should really have cashed in all my vials despite making it past the bonfire, instead of pushing on in the hope of finding a new lantern? And that there should be some other shortcut(s) that I can open up to make that journey easier in the future? Also I'm not sure whether I should have met another boss before the Cleric Beast?

What a game though. Can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Yes. Not sure why Timmo's downplaying scaling, it's the only way you're getting extra damage while you wait for the upgrade materials you need. Pretty sure that by the end of the game about 50% of my damage output was coming from scaling and gems.

Hmm, I'll have a look later but the scaling didn't seem massively significant to me compared with upgrading the weapons and I've convinced myself that survivability should be above a bit of extra output on this playthrough. Also, bloodgems have thrown everything by introducing differently scaled elemental damage... Happy to admit I'm wrong though and that I need to investigate more...

On Souls I ignored scaling on my first play and took the elemental route and it seems to be available again. Tough to call without wikis, which I'm avoiding.

I've just died fighting TOR. I suspect that's the final boss?

Nope. Still a ways to go, though you're closing in on the home stretch.

No worries mate, I just sat outside the gate until I found ransoms to do it with :)

Did you manage to beat him?

No, not tonight. I tooled up with vials and molotov's before facing off with Gazza again. I'd say my first attempt, had I managed to swap to cocktails instead, I'd have killed him. Each successive attempt got steadily worse after that. I only managed to see his final form once more, and again, if I'd have had chance to breathe, I could have killed him. I'd barely healed during the first two stages so I had something like 15 vials left, but no, just couldn't get a breath (or a break).

Bizarrely, after that, every time I faced him, it felt like he was cheating. All of a sudden my extended ax didn't reach as far, and his hit me every time. At one point neither of us moved, yet my swipe somehow didn't extend to hit him, but his got me full on in the face. So having started with 19 vials, I finished after 45 minutes and four encounters with just two.

The cane is a much better weapon against him, but it just takes so much longer than the ax. But the ax seems to leave me susceptible to attacks. So I'm done for tonight because like with the Cleric, I don't want the game to get too frustrating to the point where I don't want to play. I must admit, I do wish there was a better mechanic than the vials. It's frustrating to either have to do a 15 minute kill spree to find them, or a 15 minute kill spree to rack up echos to buy the damn things.

Re: Leveling up.

I found it's nice to spread things around a bit. Keep an eye on when your level's gonna give less in return than it used to, and then see what the alternatives are offering. I went in with a mind to upgrade strength and stamina off the bat with reduced focus on vitality, but the truth is that heading off on your first run having too little health is simply going to end up with you getting one-shot more than you'd like. I realized this during the Paarl fight where I'd taken it down 50% in a protracted battle, then got vaporized on the spot from a glancing special attack.

Remember to check your blood gems every once in a while, too. Upgrading your weapon from splinters to twins to chunks all unlock another gem slot - and do the witches as early as possible for more passive personalization.

Got back to this last night after a night away and got down to Old Yarnham. Is it me or does the framerate start to take a bath in this area? Really noticeable drops and chugging at times. I know that From are a relatively small team but this, combined with the load times really stand out like a throbbing zit on the arse of Da Vinci's Michelangelo.

Sony, as you published this game and ok'd it for release on your machine, along with From Software - get this nonsense sorted out.

Old Yarnham is the most noticeable for the frame rate issues but they only seem to be really bad at the start. You get a similar thing in a couple of other areas too but nothing major.

Got back to this last night after a night away and got down to Old Yarnham. Is it me or does the framerate start to take a bath in this area? Really noticeable drops and chugging at times. I know that From are a relatively small team but this, combined with the load times really stand out like a throbbing zit on the arse of Da Vinci's Michelangelo.

Sony - get this nonsense sorted out.

We can all agree that Sony are just the worst at the moment but I'm not sure we can blame them for this.

Do the witches early - what does that mean?

Kill them as soon as possible, because doing so will unlock more customisation.

Do the witches early - what does that mean?

The witch(es) are a boss encounter at the end of the forest/village to the left hand side of the main cathedral. (Right side if exiting, left if heading in). You get something important for doing so, and the area isn't too difficult.

Started playing this last night and as a total newbie to the Souls games and a bit of a wimp when it comes to horror games in general (I'm still mentally scarred from playing through TLoU) I wasn't sure what to expect. After a couple of quick deaths from me failing to remember the controls, I started to get a feel for the range of the cleaver in it's different forms and timing the strike/evade pattern of attack.

I made it to the bonfire which I'd obviously read on here can be bit of a sticking point, and somehow managed to get through it in one piece. My heart was pounding by the end of it, and then I realised there was a large foe ahead and no sign of a lantern. Took him down with some Molotov's and then found a shortcut that led to a couple more of them, and then stupidly died trying to rush in and finish off the second one who had a tiny slither of health left.

Anyway, I cautiously made it back there on my next go, finished him off and got my 5000+ vials back. I pushed on, desperately hoping to see a lantern, and eventually ended up on a bridge. I then met CB and suffice to say I died and lost all my vials, and that was the end of a brutal, punishing, horrific but thoroughly enjoyable first night with Bloodborne.

So, I'm guessing from reading the last few pages that I should really have cashed in all my vials despite making it past the bonfire, instead of pushing on in the hope of finding a new lantern? And that there should be some other shortcut(s) that I can open up to make that journey easier in the future? Also I'm not sure whether I should have met another boss before the Cleric Beast?

What a game though. Can't wait to get back to it tonight.

This is where I am. The next lantern is after you kill CB apparently. I haven't killed him yet but you get one after each boss kill. He is the first you're meant to meet.

I would have spent those vials on the first armour set as that makes the start easier. Only comes to around 2000 total. The rest I've probably spent on pebbles!

well, looks like I am going to spend my insight points. Wondered why I was getting wrecked a bit more now

The witch(es) are a boss encounter at the end of the forest/village to the left hand side of the main cathedral. (Right side if exiting, left if heading in). You get something important for doing so, and the area isn't too difficult.

Ah, ok. Do I need anything special to get access to that area? I haven't found it so far.

So the more insight you have, the harder the bosses? I think I'm carrying six at the moment.

Ah, ok. Do I need anything special to get access to that area? I haven't found it so far.

You need to buy a hunter's mark or whatever off the messengers to access the main cathedral area from the ward. Costs 10k in echoes, but required to progress in the game.

So the more insight you have, the harder the bosses? I think I'm carrying six at the moment.

Not sure on the bosses, but it apparently

gives the mobs more health and extra movesets

as you get more

I have 50 I think

You need to buy a hunter's mark or whatever off the messengers to access the main cathedral area from the ward. Costs 10k in echoes, but required to progress in the game.

Is this true? There is a different route into the main cathedral area from cathedral ward isn't there (unless I have misunderstood the areas you are talking about)?

You can go to the Healing Workshop and take the pit down, which will eventually take you to a ledge that lets you drop down into the main cathedral from where you can get to Vicar Amelia and also throw some levers to open all the gates.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've bought that priest's symbol or whatever it is and ende dup not needing it as I came round the wrong way! (though not 100% sure as I'm yet to find the actual gate that needs the symbol, but where I am definitely looks and feels like it's the same place)

Chewie/dood, where is the

healing workshop?

I've long since opened up the Cathedral Ward plaza gate, but have no idea where that alternative route is.

Hurrah! Shortcut found, have levelled up quite a bit and beat the Cleric Beast on my first proper attempt. I don't know if I'll love it as much as some of you clearly do - as much as anything else, I find the world itself oppressively grim, even if that's the point - but I can see why a lot of people think it's so good.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, folks. :wub: Going to take a break and go back for some more tonight, I think.

Chewie/dood, where is the

healing workshop?

I've long since opened up the Cathedral Ward plaza gate, but have no idea where that alternative route is.

Cathedral Ward bonfire go down the stairs right in front of you, turn right through the door (only opens after you kill BSB I think), up the elevator to get to the workshop. From there, you can go both down and up.