rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

I'm having real trouble summoning help in this. I ring my bell like Anita Ward, but nothing happens - just a ripple round my feet, and a lot of waiting. I've tried rebooting, and setting the network to 'worldwide' but nobody's joining me. Has my PS4 Mozzed up?

Other things to do are to change your armour from the base armour, maybe level up your weapon with some bloodstone shards and get some molotovs.

Where might I find better armour?

I can't beat CB. I get about an inch off his health. All whilst rolling about madly with the camera going all over the place.

I don't wanna be that guy but why is it with every other game people say there should be a checkpoint just before bosses but with this one no one does? It takes me ages getting through all that bonfire bit. Just to die in seconds at CB.

Any other tips for him? So far I've read you just gotta get behind him and hit him. Is that run behind him or roll behind him? And should I have levelled up a bit before trying him?

If you've not opened the left gate from the Central lamp and have to go via the bonfire just leg it past everyone. You might take a few hits but you can get up the stairs and into the courtyard past it quite easily in less than a minute.

Then go find the Hunter Armour in the sewer.

Go into CB with 20 vials and you'll be fine. That's quite easy if you do a bit of farming. Those big brutes drop 2-4 vials each usually.

I was ringing the bell to help someone out in Old Yarnham for about 10-15 minutes but I never got summoned. I think it's definitely broken for some people. At least in Souls you could see people's signs, with this I have literally no idea what's going on.

I'm at the Cathedral Ward - The only place that it looks like I can get to is seemingly through the door that you need an emblem to open.

Is that the only option I have or should I explore some more?

Yeah I can't take BSB down tonight. That poison...

The first armour you can buy from the Hunter's Dream and Gascoigne's Armour both have much, much higher poison resistance than the rest of the armour available at that point.

Can anyone tell me what this status effect is and how I can find out what they are in game?:

z3a082V.png

Looks like a white mouse pointer.

I tried to take a video but it didn't save the video, it started a new one without saving the old one. 10/10 would buy next-gen console again.

Tell us the one about how your dad works for Sega.

Alright boys, now a few of you have finished this, where does it compare with Souls?

I'm about to take temporary ownership of a PS4 and I'm hugely looking forward to it, so I want to know if it's as hateful/amazing as one of the best games I've ever played.

For me its the better 'campaign'. Everything I wanted, really. It took me a while to click with Dark Souls, I never truly got on with Demon's. Its tough, dark, twisted and will kick your arse.

z3a082V.png

Looks like a white mouse pointer.

Can anyone tell me what this status effect is and how I can find out what they are in game?:

That's health regen iirc. I don't know how you find out what they all mean, but you pick them up as you go along. Either a rune you have equipped, weapon gem, or a consumable has given you that.

If you've not opened the left gate from the Central lamp and have to go via the bonfire just leg it past everyone. You might take a few hits but you can get up the stairs and into the courtyard past it quite easily in less than a minute.

Go into CB with 20 vials and you'll be fine. That's quite easy if you do a bit of farming. Those big brutes drop 2-4 vials each usually.

Here is my clearly very frantic and poorly managed Cleric Beast takedown vid. Good for cack handed people like me.

Looking back at the clip I took of when I beat him, I wasn't very good at all, but I just kept clear of him (while staying close enough that he doesn't do that bloody pounce) and tried to hit him from behind.

Yeah, distance really matters for CB. At first I stayed away but that massive leaping attack got me, so you want to spend the first part close around the back. However, after you've done some damage he goes apeshit for a bit, at which point you have to keep your distance before you can go back in.

Finished the woods today and did some co-op with a friend and helped him through a couple of areas, Also went exploring the NF. Ran all the way through the area without killing anything (I was too curious to just see what the place was) and then came across the boss. One for later, I think. Now I've got three areas I can do.

Byrgenwerth, the Nightmare Frontier, or the Unseen Village and take on Paarl.

Not sure which route to take at the moment. They're all pretty horrible places.

So I had my first proper go on this tonight, ably assisted through some noob tactics with Gorf King watching via Share Play.

As a complete Souls noob (I had previously only played Demons' Souls and killed the first boss) this is a tricky game for me.

I did have a short go after downloading it, and got as far as creating a guy, getting killed, getting in sight of the bonfire and dying a couple of times.

Tonight, I've now cleared past the bonfire and killed one of the two wolves up on a bridge. And upgraded my armour for the stuff back in Hunter's Dream.

I think I like it! A wolf has 2k echoes now, I presume. I will get them back.

I do like it. I have not yet gotten to grips with the controls or timing.

Good day today, three bosses down; Witch, VA & DP.

A comment someone made a few pages back about lazy boss design is starting to ring true, I've defeated three of the first six bosses, all with exactly the same tactic & all with very similar design. All tense, edge of the seat, holding my breath fights mind you, just got to stop being greedy & over committing as it would save me some vials.

I'm having trouble working out what I'm supposed to be doing so far; it is being deliberately obtuse, which I'm struggling with as the previous games in the series didn't have this problem.

I've cleared all the bosses I have available to me & honestly have no idea where I'm supposed to be going tomorrow, all the bosses have lead to a dead end & besides the cryptic cutscene after VA, nothing happened after killing them.

Mild early / mid game spoilers regarding bosses & locations:

I've killed CB, FG, BSB, Witches, VA & DP.

I've explored Central Yarnham, Old Yarnham ( but not killed the gun guy ), Cathedral, Woods, the Grove, the Unseen Village, & the Healing Church.

I've got two NPCs in the Church, an old lady & the lady from the gaol. I met a cleric in the cathedral area too but I've not seen any other NPCs.

There's been a few locked / closed doors on my travels but I can't really remember where any of them are specifically.

I'm not after any handholding here, or any direct hints at this point but should I know where to go next or have I missed something important somewhere?

BSB down! And after only a few goes. :)

I said it before but it really pays to not panic when they go nuts and just take your time to work them out. Easier said then done sometimes of course.

I'm not after any handholding here, or any direct hints at this point but should I know where to go next or have I missed something important somewhere?

When you killed VA, there was a little scene where people talked about a key phrase. In your travels you may have encountered someone asking for a phrase...

Still can't take Gazza down, managed to get him to about 50% health but then just get careless and end up being smushed into the ground. That's not my real problem though. My real problem is getting greedy/overconfident when trying to collect blood echoes.

"Sweet, just enough to level up now. I should probably head back to... Ooooooh, I'll just kill that last big dude over there"

*SMUSH!*
YOU DIED.

"Right, better trek back and grab retrieve those echoes."

*Repeat*

I can't help it!

Ph0rce, I can't answer as you're further than me, but have you gone and spoken with all the npcs you know? Even doll? Is your wheelchair buddy about? That's what I'd do first..

Have you gone right at the church front door, does that go anywhere?

Just clutching at straws tbh.. I remember a few people saying there's a bit in the middle that is a bit difficult to work out where to go next?

Had a great session tonight. Did some chalice coop, which was AWESOME! We seemed to be intermittently getting invisible baddies though. At first we thought it was deliberate, until I'd see some my mate couldn't, and vice versa.

Then I joined another mate to try help him take out BSB. We needed to clear out the level too first, so that was good fun! Unfortunately he only had 6 insight and we burnt through it pretty quickly. My mate kept dying during that last phase!

By this point nearly four hours had passed, my friends went to bed, so I thought I'd do a quick explore.. Found Henwick.. Omg what an area! Amazing. Opened the second shortcut after creeping around for an hour.. So fucking tired now, but totally worth it :D

Love Ludwig's sword, I think it's because it is basically my two favourite weapons from Souls in ONE! i.e.

Longsword & Claymore :wub:

Hey and what's this about a patch? My game was suspended all day, didn't see anything about the patch this evening, played online without issue? Weird.

And now VA down as well! Hunted on and even got to the

witches of Eastwick

or whatever they're called after a massive trek. Bottled it and cashed out at that point to call it a night. Love the vistas you get and that constant undercurrent of dread and something not right. The graveyard/forest you had to go through on the way to

Hemwick Chamel

just reminded me of the Wizard of Oz or a Grimm's fairytale, something not quite right and unsettling. They do that so well along with the audio which is just so unnerving as well at times..

Also found a couple of other areas but couldn't even touch the enemies there so will go back later, so much more to explore... :)

Hey and what's this about a patch? My game was suspended all day, didn't see anything about the patch this evening, played online without issue? Weird.

Mine patched automatically earlier in the day, few big fixes and suchlike I think. Notes are out there.

• Upvote 1

Not had much luck finding NPCs, knocked on every door with a lantern I've seen & only found three which seemed important;

girl with music box, man who gave me the flamethrower & a miserable women who's now in the church

The rest seem to just shriek or talk rubbish.

As far as real NPCs go, I've hardly met any & none who are looking for anything specific.

Based on the area list I posted above, is there currently only one route for me to take?

Last question before I go back to the start of the game & check every area again; am I looking for an actual NPC or a door with a lantern?

That'd make sense! My version still just says 1 on the title screen...

Perhaps also explains fewer summons / signs around etc last night if we're now on incompatible versions!

Just want to reiterate how awesome the chalice dungeons are. Totally worth checking out if you've got as far as beating BSB. According to this very forum's Imp, a lot of the content (ie baddies and bosses) are exclusive to the mode, so you won't be spoiling much (if anything) for yourself by doing the first dungeon! :)

I thought the first dungeon was just going to be one 'level' but oh man it goes on and on.. Hilariously it kind of reminds me of Skyrim or something, the generically pieced together square rooms with mysteriously blocked doorways everywhere looks a lot like EVERY OTHER GAME, and really highlights how epic Bloodborne's overworld design is generally, and how cookie-cutter a lot of other games actually are!

That Henwick area blew me away; guess this is one of the areas which gave Timmo even more of a Resi 4 vibe! :wub: superb stuff. The complexity of the scenes throughout the game is perfectly judged; the layout of the areas themselves is fairly simple (e.g. a couple of paths with some side areas for loot), but the decorations make it so terrifying and confusing the first time as you scramble to find a safe spot to engage in combat, or trying to make sure you've looked everywhere for items, etc.

Fucking LOVE IT.

Last question before I go back to the start of the game & check every area again; am I looking for an actual NPC or a door with a lantern?

You don't need to do that! Someone replied to you before me - have you found:

the door where someone asks you for a password? That's (apparently) where you need to go. It's near the cathedral / all those dudes with the white masks. Start looking there, I can't remember exactly where I found it!! :(

After declaring last night a write-off after struggling with BSB I carried on playing and took the only other route available to me through the big gate in Cathedral Ward that you have to buy the key for, and ended up making decent progress by opening up a shortcut. Typical souls - you get more and more frustrated but still end up progressing in some way.

One thing I think I haven't adjusted to is that it often seems better to roll forward past an enemy attack than to the side or backwards. Partly because you get behind them quicker, partly because there's less chance of dashing backwards into a cart or wall, and partly because a lot of enemies have combos that have surprisingly long reach even if you dodge backwards. I really struggled with two enemies in Old Yarnham until I tried rolling forward instead of dodging back.

i feel like if I go into BSB with the dodge forward mindset it might serve me a lot better. It's only 8am but I'm already thinking about playing it again tonight :(

• Upvote 2

i feel like if I go into BSB with the dodge forward mindset it might serve me a lot better. It's only 8am but I'm already thinking about playing it again tonight :(

You used the wrong smiley :D

A door, no lantern, at the bottom of a set of stairs.

Cheers broker, I'll start the hunt tonight.

If nothing else, I'll hopefully stock up on consumables by running all the old areas again. :)

Is the Hunter Armour much of an upgrade from the Yarnham Hunter set you buy from the Hunter's Dream? I bought the latter last night, cleared the bonfire again and opened up the shortcut to CB, ready for a second attempt at him tonight.