rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

For those still stuck on the Cleric Beast, don't give up! Yes the camera is really shit at times, and there seems to be a fetish for the series for you to fight really hard bosses in tightly confined areas, making them impossible to navigate at times.

However, after what was about 40+ attempts at it, I finally did him over! So I guess the message is, yes its a bit random, and very unfair at times (I don't care what anyone says about "skill" in this, things like how the camera behaves is really out of the players control) it IS possible to do, depends on your cut-off point.

I've been sticking with it longer, purely because I love the RE4 atmosphere and design. I'm doubtful I will ever complete this (I've already had 2 peek looks at the next boss, and was killed in about 4 seconds flat) but so far it keeps me coming back for more!

Cheers broker, I'll start the hunt tonight.

If nothing else, I'll hopefully stock up on consumables by running all the old areas again. :)

You missed my reply, just like you missed the original reply (by Mr Jeff!) giving you a hint!!! :P

For those still stuck on the Cleric Beast, don't give up! Yes the camera is really shit at times, and there seems to be a fetish for the series for you to fight really hard bosses in tightly confined areas, making them impossible to navigate at times.

However, after what was about 40+ attempts at it, I finally did him over! So I guess the message is, yes its a bit random, and very unfair at times (I don't care what anyone says about "skill" in this, things like how the camera behaves is really out of the players control) it IS possible to do, depends on your cut-off point.

I've been sticking with it longer, purely because I love the RE4 atmosphere and design. I'm doubtful I will ever complete this (I've already had 2 peek looks at the next boss, and was killed in about 4 seconds flat) but so far it keeps me coming back for more!

Keep at it, only 4 days ago you couldn't even do the first boss. Now look at the killing machine you've become!

*SPOILER* on a mobile.

Took down VA last night and headed out of the cathedral to the right. Went down a hill and found a building with two hunters outside. One I took down easily the other one destroyed me, I went back to reclaim my blood echoes and the fucker had eaten them.

So I thought, I'll take it slow and easy. I just killed VA I can do this. Yep you guessed it he instantly killed me and I lost close to 40K blood echoes.

I'm guessing I shouldnt be going that way?

• Upvote 1

Should've just not used lock on, man! you don't HAVE to use it, it's often good to not lock on for various reasons! I completely disagree that that the game is unfair.

But happy to hear you've made progress! ONWARDS! :D If you go back to the Hunter's Dream, you should find an item which will let you summon help (you may have found this already!)

Keep at it, only 4 days ago you couldn't even do the first boss. Now look at the killing machine you've become!

*SPOILER* on a mobile.

Took down VA last night and headed out of the cathedral to the right. Went down a hill and found a building with two hunters outside. One I took down easily the other one destroyed me, I went back to reclaim my blood echoes and the fucker had eaten them.

So I thought, I'll take it slow and easy. I just killed VA I can do this. Yep you guessed it he instantly killed me and I lost close to 40K blood echoes.

I'm guessing I shouldnt be going that way?

You can manually type spoiler tags you know! ;)

I found them pretty easy to be fair, and I've not even tried the boss you've just done! I haven't gone back there yet, though, I warped home after beating them.

If you want somewhere a bit more manageable to explore, facing the door to the cathedral, head left..

Should've just not used lock on, man! you don't HAVE to use it, it's often good to not lock on for various reasons!

But happy to hear you've made progress! ONWARDS! :D If you go back to the Hunter's Dream, you should find an item which will let you summon help (you may have found this already!)

Does everyone switch off the camera auto-correct thing in the options as well then?

I've killed gatling gun bloke in Old Yarnham and opened a shortcut down to the bottom bit but now I find myself lacking blood vials. It feels rather misguided that I feel I need to go and farm vials somewhere rather than explore an area (until I inevitably die sooner rather than later). Vials over the estus flask feels like a change that was not for the better.

The vials thing is weird. Like I agree sometimes, it winds me up when you're on a boss or something, or trying in vein to help a mate do a boss who keeps dying, and before you know it you have none left. Leaving you what feels like no choice but to go farm some, or at least farm some cash to buy some.

Of course the counter argument to this is that you can indeed pretty much every encounter without taking any damage, so you shouldn't even really need vials, if you're good enough.

Then for example, I did a bit of chalice dungeoning yesterday, and then crept my way through a new area, and accidentally earned myself about 50-60 vials without even breaking a sweat! Coop can be a good way to get vials (since when you're helping people, all you can get as drops from enemies if vials), and having higher insight seems to increase the drop rate (could be talking nonsense, there though!).

I haven't actually had to farm for health items yet, despite being empty a few times, I've just done a bit of coop in an area that isn't too hard for me, spending the proceeds on vials after finishing.

• Upvote 1

You can manually type spoiler tags you know! ;)

I found them pretty easy to be fair, and I've not even tried the boss you've just done! I haven't gone back there yet, though, I warped home after beating them.

If you want somewhere a bit more manageable to explore, facing the door to the cathedral, head left..

I did not know that, any idea what the code is to manually do a spoiler tag?

Also any tips on killing that second person? I've tried 8 times now and just can't even get close to them. I killed VA on my third attempt, so this fucker if officially the hardest thing in the game for me and it's not even a boss!

As you can imagine in feeling a bit stupid.

Cheers for the tips. I stopped trying CB and just explored the area. Pretty much cleared it all. I was in the sewers but didn't find any armour? :(

Stumbled across the gate that took me back to the first lantern which was handy. I was so disoriented I thought it was a new lantern somewhere completely different. If you die just after opening a gate do you go back to before the gate opened or is it opened for good? I went back to hunters dream just in case.

I find general combat pretty easy now (at this stage anyway). I'm just terrible at boss fights. That's the same in every game for me though unfortunately.

Also, if you die and someone has your stuff do you lose it all if you die on your way to getting it back?

I've killed gatling gun bloke in Old Yarnham and opened a shortcut down to the bottom bit but now I find myself lacking blood vials. It feels rather misguided that I feel I need to go and farm vials somewhere rather than explore an area (until I inevitably die sooner rather than later). Vials over the estus flask feels like a change that was not for the better.

Can people be a bit more circumspect about the bosses in this? I suppose it's my own fault coming in here to a certain extent - i.e. if I don't want to know anything, then why even read the thread? - but it would be great if bosses could be either spoilered or referred to by their initials.

• Upvote 1

Dear God it's like when my Dad first went on the internet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The last two bosses have been so excellent. I've been dying over and over but not minding it. The way that nearly all the bosses have phases makes them that much more exciting and reminds me of God Hand a little in that it throws things at you which at first seem unreasonable and out of your depth:

Bosses (roughly) 7 & 8 in

Forbidden Woods

and

Byrgenworth

7:

Most intense fight in the game for me so far! I love all bosses where you're up against 2 or 3 strong guys at the same time, so much more tactical and different every time you fight. This one was no exception. Eventually I discovered what I assume is the best order to kill them (caster, snake arm, firesword) but the execution itself was another matter. I took out the caster easily enough but the snake arm guy has insane range on his melee and it took nearly all my vials to take him down. Then it's 1 on 1 and of course the game gets even more intense with his newfound powers. I'm getting seriously low on vials and in order to finish him off I have to - at extremely high risk - use a couple of visceral attacks. Absolutely intense. I finish the fight with zero vials and less than a third of my health. Incredible.

8:

Rom the spider. Still on this guy but I can never be angry with him. Using a bolt weapon I take out all the spiders and get him to about half health before he moves and the fight really starts. He doesn't have a lot of health so it's a matter of time but it's such an exciting fight. Had him to a slither once.

Hope the rest of the game is up to the standard of these.

Regarding the vials, I definitely think Etsus was the better solution but collecting them in co-op is a good idea and perhaps is a means of encouraging it.

Can people be a bit more circumspect about the bosses in this? I suppose it's my own fault coming in here to a certain extent - i.e. if I don't want to know anything, then why even read the thread? - but it would be great if bosses could be either spoilered or referred to by their initials.

Hear, hear. It is frustrating. But maybe if I reassured you that...

It isn't a boss..

Does that help? :)

Now you've spoiled something else!

*closes bureau*

whenever I try to bro-op it searches for a bit then loses connection and quits to the title screen. Making me sad :(

BSB is a dick but I know I can beat him. He's going down tonight.

Also any tips on killing that second person? I've tried 8 times now and just can't even get close to them. I killed VA on my third attempt, so this fucker if officially the hardest thing in the game for me and it's not even a boss!

I tried to keep a tree between us and dodged forward towards him after he shot at me, got a few hits in then retreated behind the tree again. I seem to remember he's quite easy to stagger, so as long as you're on your toes you should be able to get behind some cover after the 3rd hit (depending on what weapon you use obvs).

What weapon you got? Don't get me wrong, it was a bit of a long fight for me and used a whole load of health drinks, but he wasn't able to one shot me or anything!

- Dodge the shotgun fire by dashing left or right only - forward/back will mean you get hit, though the damage is pretty insignificant.

- Try to bait attacks, dodge towards / around then land a hit or two with your fastest weapon, my axe was way to slow to catch him, unless I broke lock and manually aimed with the left stick. I had much better luck with the saw spear, but if you're a dex man your cane should easily catch him.

- what gear you wearing? I can't remember what weapon that hunter uses, but could be worth changing up to see if it helps - I've been exclusively wearing Gascoigne's set since I bought it :D

- if you have a pistol, you can have a go for counters when he two hand/extends his weapon..

Apologies. As stated though, he's not a boss. Just a minor inconvenience that can be taken out in seconds thanks to the advice in this thread.

Cheers for the tips. I stopped trying CB and just explored the area. Pretty much cleared it all. I was in the sewers but didn't find any armour? :(

Stumbled across the gate that took me back to the first lantern which was handy. I was so disoriented I thought it was a new lantern somewhere completely different. If you die just after opening a gate do you go back to before the gate opened or is it opened for good? I went back to hunters dream just in case.

I find general combat pretty easy now (at this stage anyway). I'm just terrible at boss fights. That's the same in every game for me though unfortunately.

Also, if you die and someone has your stuff do you lose it all if you die on your way to getting it back?

Once you've opened a gate it stays open even if you die. Which is handy.

The sewer armour is...

Smash through barrels on werewolf bridge to get secret sewer entrance. Drop right down to the bottom water level where the rats are. Walk to the end of the corridor and to your left right at the end it's on a body.

I don't think I would have beat CB without it at that stage.

Goddamnit, I killed all the rats as well. Must have just missed the armour. Cheers!

Gonna try this on remote play now...

Really hope FROM patch it so that if you use the Summoning Bell you don't get charged Insight until someone is actually summoned into your world.

Summoned someone for FG last night and I waited an hour and a half (switching between watching Real Housewives of Beverley Hills, obvs) and didn't get anyone pop up. Kept on walking to different areas in case that helped but to no avail. Even had network settings on Worldwide. I have heard Insight is easier to come by after the intial first few bosses but it puts me off trying it again.

Though I did almost beat him on my own when I gave up getting help so I guess I just need to suck it up and get better.

Now you've spoiled something else!

*closes bureau*

Ah bollocks. I thought I was helping.

You'll only close it for an hour, though.

Just some thoughts about the setting, its influences and atmosphere.

The whole horror feel is so well realised. Ok so there's a bit of Blair Witch in there but Witchfinder General and Hammer movies, Edgar Allan Poe (Roger Cormans 1960s movie adaptations particularly). It starts off a bit Jack The Ripper and gets darker and more twisted the further you go.

Any other thoughts on the games influences outside of the Souls series?

Just some thoughts about the setting, its influences and atmosphere.

The whole horror feel is so well realised. Ok so there's a bit of Blair Witch in there but Witchfinder General and Hammer movies, Edgar Allan Poe (Roger Cormans 1960s movie adaptations particularly). It starts off a bit Jack The Ripper and gets darker and more twisted the further you go.

Any other thoughts on the games influences outside of the Souls series?

I have definitely heard mention of Lovecrafts Cthulhu Mythos during its development and it does have that vibe to it for sure.

• Upvote 1