IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

:lol: Aye boyo!

Once you dash into the room, if you run all the way to the back, there's a stairwell on either side which leads up to the balcony which goes all the way round.

Compared to DeS's Tower Knight though, TOR will try and smack you when you're up there so if you're not careful, you'll get oneshotted.

I can't believe there are some, I did have a look up the sides but obviously never saw them.

No wonder I thought it a complete ballache of a fight, haha.

Dammit I really want to try this, but I had such a bad time with Demon's Souls.

Does this have the same thing where if you die you start again with even less health?

There are some proper vistas in it.

Quite often I think of you when staring out at a view, and think "Davros would like this" and "it's a shame he'd have got annoyed when he got stabbed up back there".

The bloke has talked about the Ico influence, and it wears it on its sleeve. Except the routes are twisted Escher and Möbius style so far around themselves I'm not entirely sure it's not operating in some non-Euclidian space, just like Lovecraft would have wanted.

There are some proper vistas in it.

Quite often I think of you when staring out at a view, and think "Davros would like this" and "it's a shame he'd have got annoyed when he got stabbed up back there".

The bloke has talked about the Ico influence, and it wears it on its sleeve. Except the routes are twisted Escher and Möbius style so far around themselves I'm not entirely sure it's not operating in some non-Euclidian space, just like Lovecraft would have wanted,

Aw bless you Graham.

Well fingers crossed then, cos I've ordered it.

Yeah, there's some properly spectacular views. I'm not sure what to do with this now. I'm ready to play the final boss again, have chalices and two optional areas to do but I'm struggling to find the motivation, I think I might be a bit burned out...

Nah, I stopped when I was struggling with the final boss and went back through the entire game looking for stuff I missed :) I've not actually finished it yet but reading a few things about the ending really disheartened me.

Ending structure spoilers (not story or content, but a description spoiler haters will hate):

Apparently as well as the two endings I was expecting there's a special third one but I've missed it for this playthrough by not doing the right things

And I think that's soured me a little bit. I can't figure out if I liked Dark more than this or if I prefer playing these games with a wiki and a community who are already knowledgeable about the world.

I've really been exploring every nook and cranny and am absolutely in love with the world. I started FW last night and by the end, I'd unlocked a few shortcuts and almost forgotten the rest of the world existed. I've only killed five bosses thus far and am in no rush at all to even get near the end. Fantastic, gorgeous-looking game.

Managed to defeat RVS, which wasn't too bad in the end. I had to solo it as I couldn't find a summon. Probably because I had pumped lots of echos into stamina for that powerful gun.

Speaking of which

Is there any way to get more than two shots out of the cannon?

Managed to defeat RVS, which wasn't too bad in the end. I had to solo it as I couldn't find a summon. Probably because I had pumped lots of echos into stamina for that powerful gun.

Speaking of which

Is there any way to get more than two shots out of the cannon?

I think there are gems that will let you carry more quicksilver bullets plus you can always sacrifice health for additional Bloodbullets

I think there are gems that will let you carry more quicksilver bullets plus you can always sacrifice health for additional Bloodbullets

problem with the sacrifice health thing is that I'm only get +5 bullets and the cannon takes 10 per shot, even so it is awesome :) unless there is a gem that reduces the number of billets used per shot?

problem with the sacrifice health thing is that I'm only get +5 bullets and the cannon takes 10 per shot, even so it is awesome :) unless there is a gem that reduces the number of billets used per shot?

Looking at the wiki, you should be able to get at least 4 shots. Bloodbullets [20+5], Fire, Bloodbullets [15+5], Fire, Bloodbullets [10+5], Fire, Bloodbullets [5+5], Fire.

Really?

I was just thinking how much worse Nightmare of Mensis has been but I guess in hindsight it might not be as bad. Apart from the Lecture Theatre (which I thought was great) this final quarter has been a real slog and I'm not having the best time.

Yeah. I ended up running through a fair bit of NF - which I didn't like to do - but it's nothing compared to what I had to do to get through NoM last night; and I still didn't get through it. Invasions, failing to find the bell-ringer, being slowly killed by stuff I can't even see or work out what it is... I'm not looking forward to it tonight, even though I feel compelled to try. I hope the rest of the game doesn't feel quite this hostile, which for me is possibly a step too far down the hostility path. Everything in NoM just felt like blind panic, or else acquiescence to a terrible, obscure and immediate doom.

I dunno, it might be my Insight doing me in. I think I'm at about 60. Maybe I should spend some and see if the game goes easier on me - because even in NF, the little exposure to Frenzy I had did my head in (literally - I'd just be walking around bothering no-one and *pop* haha! FUCK THIS SHIT). If that all kicks off again in NoM, as well as all the stuff that's already conspired to floor me before I've taken a dozen steps, I might just explode for real.

Yeah, Davros - you're going to love* this game.

* Hate, hate, hate. Probably.

All the Hunter tools require at least 15 in Arcane, and do some pretty snazzy things. You can get to the soft cap (25 for the 4 damage stats, 30 for vitality+endurance) for each stat easily enough, albeit with some echo grinding, and you'll probably do more damage with a more diverse set of weapons to boot, as a few need arcane and bloodtinge to be able to use.

I've currently got 30 in both vitality+endurance, 25 in strength and skill, and am levelling up both bloodtinge and arcane to 25 as well just so I can use all the weapons/tools before I settle on a build to go forward with. The bonus with a lot of weapons is that you can double dip with two stats adding to the overall damage of attacks with a certain weapon, such as the greatsword, which gets damage from both strength and skill.

The Bone can be pretty great for avid dodgers. That requires 15 in Arcane, I think. Other than that, I've found (I think) being an Arc-based character has probably hindered at times, compared to the possible damage output from Strength-based builds, or Str + Skill. If your enemy is weak to elemental stuff, great. If not, you have a problem.

Aye, I dunno though. You came round to TLoU in the end, after disliking it for a while. I think you were determined to see what other people liked in it, and eventually that determination led you to get some pleasure from it yourself. Perhaps it'll be the same with this. Not that it's anything like TLoU.

Just killed BSB. This has really clicked now and I feel much better at it than I did two or three days ago. Switched to the saw blade and it suits the way I like to play far better than the axe I was using.

Brilliant stuff. One of the tensest, scariest games I have ever played. Does everyone else keep jumping out of their skin?

It's easy to fall into thinking you're crap at these games, especially in this age of streaming and people completing it in a day or whatever. But Dark Souls had me going for months before I finished and I was satisfied when I did.

Most people won't find this easy. It's bloody really hard and gets harder further in.

Giving up after five minutes is quite sad. I couldn't imagine spending my hard earned on something only to give it a glance. More money than sense some people.

Does Bloodborne keep track of how many hours you've played? I'd be interested how much time I've put in

yeah choose load game from the title screen and will show on your save file. Almost 50 hours for me and not even within a sniff of finishing it yet.

Yeah, I'll give it a fair crack. It's always my intention to enjoy something, why wouldn't it be?

I'm sure it is. But some things do their best to dissuade one from one's best intentions: awkward, difficult, uncompromising things that don't seem to care if you like them or not. And sometimes, it's simply not a game style you really enjoy - I was like that with Demon's Souls: I just couldn't get on with the combat style, much as I tried to like it. But this... I really enjoy the combat here, for the most part. So maybe you'll be the same, who knows.

And that's SoY put to my saucy sword (+6 LHB with bolt paper)!!

Took too many attempts and lots of effing and jeffing, but the air-punching relief on beating them was immense.

Seems I need a new boss to hunt down. Onwards to Bw and whatever skittering horrors it holds.

So far this is just the best game ever.

I just encountered VA for the first time - AND FUCKING SLAUGHTERED HER ON MY FIRST GO! :omg:

That was fucking exhilarating, this is the first Bloodborne boss I did on my first try. My hands are literally shaking right now! It became incredibly tense once I noticed she was already at half health. I almost fucked it up right near the end - I was so afraid of fucking up that instead of sticking close like I did for the rest of the battle, I backed off and tried to finish safely with molotovs. That almost cost me the battle, she got me good a few times and I had to heal like crazy. Man, this is incredible

Nice impressions Gerb. There's a great bit from ENB in his walkthrough of FW (vid 13) where he talks about fear being the killer. As soon as you play scared you are boned. Stay on the front foot, press the advantage, regain is your friend etc. So true, but at certain points, like yours with VA, your mind is screaming to back off and 'bank what you have'. Deadly.