IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Almost midnight, over 3+ hours trying to kill that

spider

boss with zero progress.

Resorted to watching some videos on what to do, none worked for me. Seems a shameless health vial sink of a boss to me, not a lot of fun to be had with it. This to me is the hardest boss since the first one!

OMG, you weren't secretly sitting in my front room were you?

I literally sat there tonight and did exactly the same thing! At least with other bosses you learn patterns, timings, openings etc. with this boss you learn nothing...other than when he

fires the meteors

you're basically rolling a dice on the outcome.

He's a vile poison in this otherwise fine game.

"Basically rolling a dice"? That's way too harsh. He's not an amazing boss by any stretch of the imagination, but as with every boss, dying is the direct result of your lack of skill pretty much every time.

Know how to dodge his meteors correctly and keep an eye on your surroundings (read: the spiders) at all time, ESPECIALLY when attacking Rom('s sides). You can't see the entire field due to the camera, of course, but you can definitely have a sense of where the spiders are by remembering their movement speeds and attack patterns.

I NEVER kill the spiders. I focus purely on Rom and dodging all attacks. I run around all spiders, and hit the side of Rom where the least amount of spiders are. After every second or third hit, I dodge away to avoid a spider attack or Rom rolling around.

If I do get killed, it's because I was being too greedy with doing damage to Rom, which gave the spiders time to gang up on me. Or I dodged the wrong way and got hit by both meteors and spiders. But most times, I finished that battle without even getting hit at all.

It's very doable, just remember where the spiders are (and predict how they'll move towards you) as you approach and attack Rom.

P.S. There's a reprise of this fight in the Chalice Dungeons. You're all going to love it. LOL.

How do you consistently

dodge the meteors

then?

Seems completely random to me. When you're in close you can't even see them!

That's nuts.

So finally beat ROM and everything has gone craaaaaaaazy (and a bit orange)! Got to the second lantern in UV but nearly had to rage quit with the three

hunters

bit. Tried it numerous times but kept making mistakes. Even tried a lot with some jolly co-op but every time they died so were pretty much useless even when we go them down to two. I think I need to put it down and come back tomorrow.

That's nuts.

So finally beat ROM and everything has gone craaaaaaaazy (and a bit orange)! Got to the second lantern in UV but nearly had to rage quit with the three

hunters

bit. Tried it numerous times but kept making mistakes. Even tried a lot with some jolly co-op but every time they died so were pretty much useless even when we go them down to two. I think I need to put it down and come back tomorrow.

Just kite one at a time all the way back to the start. Only one will ever follow you at a time. That can be repeated for practically anything else in the game.

If they'd taken Sauron out of this level it would've fine. It makes those chuckling pots from DS2 look like a genius bit of design. I think Spainkiller said that it all goes a bit downwards after UY which is true. I can see why it would in relation to the story arc, but it's just a bit clumsy. There are some classic exploring and risk and reward sections in NOM but just spoiled by some very harsh sections.

I think the entire nightmare zone is the best part yet. I want things to become even more fucked up and sadistic! Running from post-to-post to cower from Frenzy is great - it reminds me of Metroid Prime 2.

But, there are no more places, because the game is near the end. :( T_T I'd like some zany spaceship DLC one day.

Almost midnight, over 3+ hours trying to kill that

spider

boss with zero progress.

Resorted to watching some videos on what to do, none worked for me. Seems a shameless health vial sink of a boss to me, not a lot of fun to be had with it. This to me is the hardest boss since the first one!

I hear you. Two nights running, co-op partners by the plenty all whom died on me.

Explored NF some more but I really wasn't equipped. Not a fan of unavoidable health loss/poisoning/frenzy etc because there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

There's a secret little area later on that lets you dispose of Mother Brai... ehr, Sauron, though. Satisfying.

I've just looked that up and i'm going to download an old save and go back and take that out. I remember looking up at that at the start of NOM and thinking, I'm going to enjoy taking you out :)

Your attire is the most obvious. Then there's runes which can increase resistances considerably. Frenzy resistance is increased as your insight increases (but is far from essential). Finally, each has an item to counteract whatever it is, so keep that on your quick item.

There are a handful of areas in the game that harm you just being there but they are few and far between and either you can run through them (and are expected to) or they are full of rewards making the antidotes etc and health vials worth it. As a general rule the game always rewards you pushing against it, particularly when it's at its most aggressive.

Yeah that's what I said though. You need to be equipped with antidotes, the calming herbs and plenty of vials because you will lose health no matter how high your poison resistance.

I realise it's supposed to be harsh but I question how much fun I'm having when I need to roll everywhere because the ground is poison whilst trying to avoid poisoning enemies and rock throwing enemies that kill you with one hit from miles away.

Don't get me started on the frenzy monsters!

How?

Sedatives.

Poison knife x3.

Throw one and then get behind cover if you don't want to wade in whilst spamming vials.

-----

For anyone stuck on R:TVS, kill has adds by getting behind them to where the soft part is. They die in one hit. Maybe I had it easy because my whip was doing that by itself from all angles to multiple targets.

Exactly. Its just harsh punishment even if you have the items.

These areas are much more dangerous than say -Blighttown swamp which had the same mechanic, but at least had good balance of enemy placement and a way through instead of having to run the way through.

Yes but tbat was my point. Unless you have plenty of consumables you will lose health no matter how skilled a player you are.

Then stock up? They're there for a reason. It's not like we're trying to S-Rank anything, in which case yeah, that would be broken and shit.

Exactly. Its just harsh punishment even if you have the items.

These areas are much more dangerous than say -Blighttown swamp which had the same mechanic, but at least had good balance of enemy placement and a way through instead of having to run the way through.

Really? Blighttown was brutal and needed you to stock up on anti-poison. Heck half the level was a poisonous swamp. There are only two significant poisonous areas in this game and both are particularly rewarding.

Frenzy is a new thing but it's definitely manageable and far from unavoidable.

I think it's all to do with perspective. The first time you run Blighttown it's horrible and overwhelming. Once you know your way around you take antidotes and run it like any other area. It'll be the same in this.

Then stock up? They're there for a reason. It's not like we're trying to S-Rank anything, in which case yeah, that would be broken and shit.

It's not broken but it's less skill based than the rest of the game. I think any area in which you have no option other than to get poisoned and lose health is erring on lazy rather than challenging.

I've put two hours into the bonfire in total, simply cannot get through it. I had a gun and a threaded cane or something, the one that transforms into a barbed whip thing. Too many deaths through fences, through the camera spazzing out and being locked onto someone then it loses the lock, or it won't lock on and they get a hit in. I'm a short-tempered person of late and it's been driving me mad trying to make any sort of progress. I did all the things at at the start that tell you what to do and generally how to play, though it seems to miss a lot out. Me and a friend bought the digital version and paid $10 each ($20 through some dodgy guy) so it's not like I lost anything. I'd much rather play something I can actually progress in; I'm certainly not bad at games, though nothing special. This just isn't for me, as much as I want to get through and see what the fuss is about.

Yeah that's what I said though. You need to be equipped with antidotes, the calming herbs and plenty of vials because you will lose health no matter how high your poison resistance.

I realise it's supposed to be harsh but I question how much fun I'm having when I need to roll everywhere because the ground is poison whilst trying to avoid poisoning enemies and rock throwing enemies that kill you with one hit from miles away.

How are you traversing this level? You’re not just running out into the lake are you?

If you work your way round from the back and run up the far right hand side of the main lake, I’m pretty it’s possible reach the cave without even getting fully poisoned.

From there you have to deal with 1 frenzy guy who you should try and backstab (and a couple of normal beasts) before you can reach the lift that will avoid that whole thing!