IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I forgot to mention. After last night's mammoth session I was drifting off to sleep at around 4am when I was sure I heard the bell-ringing lady in the same room as me. (._.')

I slept with the light on, seeing as the wife is away. I've not done that since the age of five.

Discovered I missed out on an ingredient for the final "storyline" chalice dungeon and that it can only be found at the very last dungeon in the game. Kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit after all that suffering.

Think I'll wait until the guide finally ships before I carry on with my run through NG+ to look for any other stuff I've missed.

I've put two hours into the bonfire in total, simply cannot get through it. I had a gun and a threaded cane or something, the one that transforms into a barbed whip thing. Too many deaths through fences, through the camera spazzing out and being locked onto someone then it loses the lock, or it won't lock on and they get a hit in. I'm a short-tempered person of late and it's been driving me mad trying to make any sort of progress. I did all the things at at the start that tell you what to do and generally how to play, though it seems to miss a lot out. Me and a friend bought the digital version and paid $10 each ($20 through some dodgy guy) so it's not like I lost anything. I'd much rather play something I can actually progress in; I'm certainly not bad at games, though nothing special. This just isn't for me, as much as I want to get through and see what the fuss is about.

Brilliant post man. You've really made me reflect about why I like this game so much. I agree this game will be best for those with a cool head and a ton of patience. I think I am generally very patient and I don't mind repeating something if I am enjoying the act of playing. I also rather play the shit out of one great game, rather than play everything that comes out. This will not be for everybody. You should still try to make it through the first 2 bosses, If you still feel that way you can go back to playing candy crush saga (just kidding).

I did the bonfire bit first time I think which is funny considering I've been stuck on FG for about a week.

Took about 30 minutes though. Funny now how you can pretty much just run through it killing everyone in seconds.

I've found all the combat pretty easy so far except for the bosses. I've been terrible at bosses in every game ever. Think they will be a serious sticking point with me. To the point where I'm close to asking someone to do it for me through Remote Play.

I stumbled onto something yesterday. It felt like it was by accident and through the most random set of circumstances (i.e. falling where I didn't meant to) I got an achievement for discovering this area. I stayed in this area for a long time although there are no enemies just wondering what the fuck it all means. Then realised that based on achievement rarity everyone finds this area at the same point I am in the game. How fucking weird. They've really pulled a trick there to make me think that this was by accident. This was the best moment I have had with the game thus far. I fucking love how weird this game is.

Can anyone else hear a baby crying in the background ? is this pass a certain point or boss? I now hear it in nearly every area (cathedral ward and nightmare frontier for sure) I play when my baby is sleeping so I am now constantly having to check on her to see if this is in game. I don't actually know if that sound was there all along of something I did triggered it. This game is really starting to freak me out. I love it!

Holy shit, the last few areas of this game are utter tedium. Cheap deaths followed by staring at a load screen, then inevitably having to go farming for resources doesn't make for a nail biting conclusion.

Infinitely respawning buffed enemies? Check. Ground that you can't walk on without being poisoned? Check. Trying to negotiate poison water while battling creatures and getting one shotted from halfway across the map by some fucking giant boulder throwing CUNT? Check.

Now I can't even look at my destination without my head exploding? And I can be invaded while I'm busy not doing that? Fucking hell, it's a cheap slog.

At this point I wish I could just do the bosses because they'd be a welcome break from the absurd environmental difficulty.

I did the bonfire bit first time I think which is funny considering I've been stuck on FG for about a week.

I've found all the combat pretty easy so far except for the bosses. I've been terrible at bosses in every game ever. Think they will be a serious sticking point with me. To the point where I'm close to asking someone to do it for me through Remote Play.

Have you tried summoning someone to help you with FG?

Holy shit, the last few areas of this game are utter tedium. Cheap deaths followed by staring at a load screen, then inevitably having to go farming for resources doesn't make for a nail biting conclusion.

Infinitely respawning buffed enemies? Check. Ground that you can't walk on without being poisoned? Check. Trying to negotiate poison water while battling creatures and getting one shotted from halfway across the map by some fucking giant boulder throwing CUNT? Check.

Now I can't even look at my destination without my head exploding? And I can be invaded while I'm busy not doing that? Fucking hell, it's a cheap slog.

At this point I wish I could just do the bosses because they'd be a welcome break from the absurd environmental difficulty.

I couldn't disagree more. I think thematically this is when the game really gets weird and massively interesting. The art of this area is unbelievable. Granted there is a difficulty spike here.

The singing crazy bug ladies. It's fucking amazing.! I just unlocked the first shortcut in the area so I have not yet seen the exploding head part.

I couldn't disagree more. I think thematically this is when the game really gets weird and massively interesting. The art of this area is unbelievable. Granted there is a difficulty spike here.

The singing crazy bug ladies. It's fucking amazing.! I just unlocked the first shortcut in the area so I have not yet seen the exploding head part.

Yeah I thought the NF area had most gorgeous design and style, and quite a welcome contrast to the earlier areas. There is a shitload of Blighttown-esque environmental hazards for sure and it is very frustrating initially, but there are shortcuts if you persevere that will eventually let you bypass all that.

Also spoiler for those who are struggling with it and want some good news:

It is entirely optional

I'm not arguing that it doesn't look good, it'd just be nice to look at it instead of just belting through the area to the boss as quickly as possible.

Actually, I'm not even complaining so much about NF, since I passed that a few days ago. It's more that they're ramping up the difficulty in the laziest way possible, by just overwhelming you with overpowered enemies (UV, which I've also passed) and expecting you to manage far too many hazards at once and punishing you for failing at one of them (NoM). I always thought the game was quite fair up to this point but it's rapidly reaching bullshit levels for me. I'm not going to stop though, I'm far too stubborn for that. After all I finished Bound By Flame despite thinking it was a heap of shit.

Ok if we are talking about NoM, then yes that is super irritating (at least the first bit of it) and my tactic was to sprint through it all furiously unlocking shortcuts.

I luckily found the second lamp and the elevator to it at the base of the castle early on and then just did a number of suicide runs until I managed to unlock the elevator

Yeah it sucks, it is my least favourite section, but there always seems to be a level like it in these games.

In other news, my SL4 run progressed a bit further..

Did in Gazza, took a good six or seven attempts though, I'm so squishy! Felt good to get passed him and plough through old Yarnham without much trouble. Made it to BeeEssBee and had a single shortlived attempt.

Bought the seal thing from the shop. Debating whether or not to go get some rune action on the go before I go back to Old Yarnham.

Or.. Technically I could just skip BeeEssBee, and go straight for VA next, then onto FW.. Decent pickups there, like. But I'm so squishy and scared!

Decisions, decisions!

Hopefully will upload my run to the tube later today!

For what it's worth, my favourite area so far has actually been (around mid-point spoilers, up to and just past the boss named R)

Iosefka's Clinic. Not for looks or anything like that, but the encounter you have with Iosefka herself.

This is the point where you discover that the people she's 'bound by hippocratic oath' to care for have, in fact, been test subjects. Anyone you've sent there will appear as a Celestial Mob and will drop the appropriate item if you kill them.

If you try to approach her quarters she'll warn you before that she'd like to try her techniques on a hunter and you should turn back (and it's absolutely worth doing). I turned back and went to open the shortcut door back to the Sickroom and right in front of it is another Celestial Mob who drops an Iosefka's Blood Vial when you kill it. This is the point where I was left thinking, is this where those Vials always came from? But, if that's who's been giving me the blood, then, is that Celestial Mob the 'real' Iosefka? or is it some kind of imposter? If that was the real Iosefka at one point, then who is the woman on the top floor? It's probably nothing but it's one of those points where you're left wondering just how warped this world is.

Also, if you do as she asks, and leave before you confront her, she'll still ask for more survivors to be returned to her and the door is closed. If you return after you kill Rom then she becomes non-hostile to approach, because she's on an operating table in her quarters and has a few lines of incredibly creepy dialogue about being 'chosen'. At this point you can kill her for a piece of Umbilical Cord.

Actually, thinking about it now, the entrance into the Abandoned Old Workshop area (Source of the Dream) is beautiful and very impressive.

And I'm sure everyone knows about it, but my preferred farming location so far is (requires final headstone in the Hunters Dream).

Lecture Building First Floor. Aggro the students in the main hall then just walk out the door and wait for them to get bunched up in it and go to town with the R2 attack of the extended Saw Cleaver to earn tens of thousands of Echoes a time, a ton of Quicksilver Bullets and maybe a Sedative. Rinse and repeat until you've enough to buy 99 Vials.

I started playing this a few days ago and I'm slowly getting in to it. I've never played a Souls game before though and have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even really understand the structure of the game.

I've pretty much done nothing. I've seen one boss which promptly killed me, got a new outfit in the sewer, opened a shortcut gate to the boss, and the doll has just come to life. I've mainly just been running around the same areas trying to get used to the combat but I don't really know what the aim is. Am I supposed to just focus on killing the boss and ignore the other stuff?

I really wish the loading was a lot quicker as it's making the whole thing painful slow to progress.

Can anyone else hear a baby crying in the background ? is this pass a certain point or boss? I now hear it in nearly every area (cathedral ward and nightmare frontier for sure) I play when my baby is sleeping so I am now constantly having to check on her to see if this is in game. I don't actually know if that sound was there all along of something I did triggered it. This game is really starting to freak me out. I love it!

How far through are you?

Post Bergynwerth spoilers:

It's related to the red moon and the presence which lives inside it

Post NoM spoilers:

Mergo I assume, seems like it's one of the surrogate children who died, probably the one who that lady who appears after Rom gave birth to? Once you kill the wet nurse (and by association the baby) the crying stops.

I dont like the flea's in CC.

They are twats.

Yeah, you really have to manage aggro with them, and remember to not attack from the rear! If it's any consolation they're the hardest thing in the whole area.

Well, that isn't strictly true. Not every boss is vital to progression.. If you're up against it and feel it's too hard, sometimes it's worth looking around for other avenues...

I think it's fair to say that you're not getting far in the game without fighting the first two bosses.

For those of you waiting on Future Press' Game Guide book....no release date as-yet. This was taken from Amazon.com's listing, nice that Amazon UK couldn't be fucked to update theirs...

IMPORTANT UPDATE
=> The page count is increased from 400 to 528 pages.
=> The Collector's Edition guide is delayed to include important game changes applied through the Day-One-Update, ensuring that it will be up-to-date and that online-only elements are covered.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Good progress last night. Took down SoY and RtVS as well as trying a Chalice Dungeon for the first time and unlocking a few areas.

Any suggestions on what area I should tackle next? I have NF, CC and UV available.

Yeah, you really have to manage aggro with them, and remember to not attack from the rear! If it's any consolation they're the hardest thing in the whole area.

That's not strictly true. While they do have a rear leg kick, if you stay slightly diagonal to them when attacking at the back, you won't get hit.

NoM question:

Is there any way to actually kill Mother Sauron Brain? I must have scoured that maze-like place like crazy and not found any alternative exits.

Apparently yes:

After the first boss, you'll find a lever to drop it into a hole. After that, if you return to the dark area with the pits and the small people and guys with big axes, there'll be an elevator leading to it. You can kill it there. Also, if you make some kind of gesture towards it, you also get a rune?? I missed all this the first time round so I can't confirm.

I started playing this a few days ago and I'm slowly getting in to it. I've never played a Souls game before though and have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even really understand the structure of the game.

I've pretty much done nothing. I've seen one boss which promptly killed me, got a new outfit in the sewer, opened a shortcut gate to the boss, and the doll has just come to life. I've mainly just been running around the same areas trying to get used to the combat but I don't really know what the aim is. Am I supposed to just focus on killing the boss and ignore the other stuff?

I really wish the loading was a lot quicker as it's making the whole thing painful slow to progress.

Explore and get ready for boss by upgrading weapons and leveling up (in the dream). Tackle boss when done with the area is what I would suggest. Finding a boss gives you one insight. Insight changes things about the game but it appears no one is quite sure what. For example, it seems the game gets harder some enemies more aggressive and have different attack patterns. The doll came to life when you got your first insight from finding the boss. Like decider said the doll is critical... 'time for seduction!'.