IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

CB is optional.

Probably my fourth boss kill as I missed him to begin with.

That's the boss I've found.

So I should just run around killing everything other than the boss to get points, go to the dream and upgrade, try to kill the boss, then repeat if it's still too hard?

I was this close to throwing in the towel last night after not being able to beat FG all week then a little voice just says have one last go. I didn't bother putting my headphones back on ( thought it'd be over in minutes ) and what do you know it was so much easier to do with out them on.

That's the boss I've found.

So I should just run around killing everything other than the boss to get points, go to the dream and upgrade, try to kill the boss, then repeat if it's still too hard?

In my opinion, more important than your level is your weapon upgrade. Materials to update weapons will be in the environment. Make sure you have used what you are able to find in the area (and be careful to look for everything) so your weapon is at the level it is supposed to be for battling the boss.

I was this close to throwing in the towel last night after not being able to beat FG all week then a little voice just says have one last go. I didn't bother putting my headphones back on ( thought it'd be over in minutes ) and what do you know it was so much easier to do with out them on.

I saw some tips on beating bosses mention doing it without sound, music, sound effects and roaring monsters can really make you panic sometimes.

Sort of. Your main goal at present should probably to explore that initial area, and get yourself confident with fighting, dodging and the parry/riposte. Now you know where the boss is, have you unlocked the nice shortcut that takes you back there a lot quicker? For every area you come into, finding and opening the shortcuts is probably the number 1 priority.

You can actually get to boss number 2 without fighting boss number 1, so also don't be afraid of exploring further.

But yes, do a few laps of the bonfire area, cash in your echoes and upgrade yourself a bit. Point into Vitality will help your HP. Points into Endurance will mean you can do more hits/dodges without running out of Stamina.

If I find stuff and die do I lose it? I've found loads of stuff but I've got no fucking clue what any of it is.

Stuff you find you will keep. Echoes you lose, but they'll either be on the ground where you died, or inside a monster (he'll have glowing eyes) when you get back there. Unless you die again.

Be patient when fighting the boss and don't be intimidated by sound design, music and size of the monster. Your dodge has a really large invisibility window. Use the dodge you avoid the boss attacks and patiently do away with his health bar without getting greedy. As the fight goes on, the boss will get more aggressive requiring you to resist the urge to try to finish it quickly. Instead, towards the end of the fight, you need to be extra patient. Have a good look at the monsters move set. Keep your distance and decide on the best window of opportunity to attack. Do not rush and mind your surroundings so you don't get stuck in a corner. Try to keep the boss centered in your view and make sure you understand where you are in relation to walls and geometry in the environment.

I'd only be able to work it all out if I could print everything out (including the scripted narrative), spread it all over a big desk, and sit there for a few days piecing it all together. Possibly with some help.

It's a bit like an ARG within the game. It's absolutely fucking brilliant.

This is exactly what I expect from next-gen besides all the expected tech shite; new ideas and innovation in delivery.

Saw a certain masked NPC standing outside CW but went on to do UV pt1 and HCL/SOY first and now she's not there anymore. Am i screwed for the quest? Does anybody know what event causes/triggers her to leave?

If you spoke with her don't worry you will find her again in different places. I don't know if this is the only way to do that (probably not) but I kept running into her in different places and eventually got to the end of that story line. EDIT: Killing bosses appears to cause her to move and progress the story line.

How do you go two handed with weapons? Is it only certain ones?

Only certain ones. Minor gun spoiler below:

The rifle spear for example. When you hit the transform button you hold it two handed but L2 still shoots because the spear is also a gun.

So after beating CB, FG, and BSB without too much bother, and finding Old Y a fairly straightforward area (other than the Gatling biff) I thought this game wasn't so bad.

Then I was transported to that place with the sack carrying meffs. They've annihilated me so far. I found the route to DBP by mistake, and was roundly walloped again.

Can't wait to dive back in.

I'm in NoM & haven't found a single NPC you can do anything with ( aside from a couple of encounters at windows in CY which didn't go anywhere ).

I've sent a couple of people to my safe place, but that's about it.

Mind you, NPC stuff in DS 2 was pretty crappy as well, DaS & DeS had some amazing threads running through them, either I've missed every single 'storyline' NPC or there aren't any. :(

So after beating CB, FG, and BSB without too much bother, and finding Old Y a fairly straightforward area (other than the Gatling biff) I thought this game wasn't so bad.

Then I was transported to that place with the sack carrying meffs. They've annihilated me so far. I found the route to DBP by mistake, and was roundly walloped again.

Can't wait to dive back in.

Sack man strats below:

You probably don't want to take more than one on at a time right now, but fighting them one on one isn't too hard. Watch their movesets, they mainly use a swing with one arm and a stomp (before they transform). Once you get the timing down you can use Saw Cleaver in transformed mode (R1) and hit R2 for the horizontal slash when they wind up for a swing to interrupt them. Repeat until they transform, then their attack changes slightly. The swing will often be followed up by a kick, but the same strategy works in this form as well. Time it well and hit them with that R2 while they're winding up for a swing and they go down.

Tim Rogers did an 8k essay on Bloodborne and the Souls games.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/240839/Bloodborne_You_are_the_experience_points.php

Now that I've used up my "say something snippy" quota for the week, I want to be serious about Bloodborne and the Souls games: I like them a lot.

I like them because they have great action design, they have great level design, and they have great experience design. I'll talk about those three things in that order. If you are one of those people whose first instinct is to ask for a "short version" in the comments, here it is: Souls games are great because of action warm-ups. Put action warm-ups on everything. If you don't know or can't deduce what I mean when I say action warm-up, I'm sorry: you're going to have to read the long version.

Worth reading when taking a break from playing. :)

I'm in NoM & haven't found a single NPC you can do anything with ( aside from a couple of encounters at windows in CY which didn't go anywhere ).

I've sent a couple of people to my safe place, but that's about it.

Mind you, NPC stuff in DS 2 was pretty crappy as well, DaS & DeS had some amazing threads running through them, either I've missed every single 'storyline' NPC or there aren't any. :(

Careful who you send to the safe place...

When I finished my first playthrough, I was none the fucking wiser regarding the plot and story. I think I'll save that for when I've finished my second playthrough.

Thanks to your video I have now recorded about a gig of pig fisting. I can't seem to help it.

Oh, I've already screwed that up, I'm too trusting.

Trusted the man covered in blood casually caught eating a woman and child did ya? Too trusting indeed.

Thanks to your video I have now recorded about a gig of pig fisting. I can't seem to help it.

Trusted the man covered in blood casually caught eating a woman and child did ya? Too trusting indeed.

Honestly didn't think that's what he was doing, obviously I saw he was covered in blood but for all I knew he could have been moving bodies, looting their belongings, etc.

In hindsight, sure, maybe he was a wrong un either way.

Sorry, I couldn't read that Gamasutra article. I kept coming across terms like 'Floppy Body', and 'Happy Puppy'. The writer came across like an epic twat.

That first paragraph is incredible though, it's probably one of the most off-putting starts to an article I've ever read, particulary for the type of game it is reviewing.

I very much doubt a print magazine would have published it in its current form.