IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I agree this article needed an editor but portions of it are really brilliant:

"I noticed a peculiar trend during my first stream of Bloodborne. I had taken some melatonin, and I'd worked all day, so I was approaching sleep madness. I was therefore not playing the game very well. Furthermore, I knew nothing about the world of the game.
My stream chat was full of lovers of the game, here on the promise of my retweeted announcement that I was about to play the game for the first time. They all wanted to help me. I had dozens of people whispering advice at me.
The Souls games are experiences that players feel proud of figuring out. They're mystery novels of mechanics and geography. You solve the games' mysteries by moving, looking, and poking through the world.
In Bloodborne, The Players Are The Instruction Manual."

I'll find out tonight I guess. Any tips for a total n00b going in? Is there a "best" character build for a beginner?

For initial character choices, they're just various builds with increased or decreased stats. I'd probably recommend either the generic all rounded or one with high vit/end to start with. AS for what you should be spending your echoes on when you starting earning them, VIT and END are both good to start with followed by your choice of primary stat: Strength, Skill, Bloodtinge and Arcane.

As for which of those 4 to go with, to start with, it won't matter too much but as you start to use various weapons, when you find one you like, check and see which stat it scales best with and start nailing points into it.

I'll find out tonight I guess. Any tips for a total n00b going in? Is there a "best" character build for a beginner?

Any build is viable and any weapon is good. I would say consider the following:

Vitality: you don't mind getting hit once or twice while you play and getting a chance to recover. You will still die quickly and can't really play this game as a tank (you could do this in Dark Souls though). You will still need to consider upgrading this first or early one because you will get hit, particularly by bosses.

Endurance: how many actions you can take before having to wait for a recharge. If you have a very active play style and like to dodge a lot when playing and never getting hit.

Strength: you like hard-hitting slow weapons.

Skill: you like fast weapons that do less damage

Bloodtinge and Arcane: potentially ignore until you know what's going on (anyone else agree with this?).

Any build is viable and any weapon is good. I would say consider the following:

Vitality: you don't mind getting hit once or twice while you play and getting a chance to recover. You will still die quickly and can't really play this game as a tank (you could do this in Dark Souls though). You will still need to consider upgrading this first or early one because you will get hit, particularly by bosses.

Endurance: how many actions you can take before having to wait for a recharge. If you have a very active play style and like to dodge a lot when playing and never getting hit.

Strength: you like hard-hitting slow weapons.

Skill: you like fast weapons that do less damage

Bloodtinge and Arcane: potentially ignore until you know what's going on (anyone else agree with this?).

Yeah Bloodtinge and Arcane have "second playthrough" (or at least "mid-to-late game") written all over them. Level Vitality and Endurance and then you will find your weapon scales with either Strength or Skill so pump levels into those as appropriate.

For initial character choices, they're just various builds with increased or decreased stats. I'd probably recommend either the generic all rounded or one with high vit/end to start with. AS for what you should be spending your echoes on when you starting earning them, VIT and END are both good to start with followed by your choice of primary stat: Strength, Skill, Bloodtinge and Arcane.

As for which of those 4 to go with, to start with, it won't matter too much but as you start to use various weapons, when you find one you like, check and see which stat it scales best with and start nailing points into it.

This is also very good advice. Weapon scaling is key. Each attribute will have a stat scaling letter on it (check on menus) S, A, B, C, D

S is the best. Starting weapons will probably only have D but this goes up as you upgrade your weapon. Upgrading your weapon is essential but you will only unlock this later in the game.

One thing on weapon scaling to note though (and this is pretty minor spoiler re: mechanics but I know some ppl like to discover that sort of thing for themselves):

Many weapons look like they scale with Arcane, but this scaling only kicks in if you have an elemental effect gem on the weapon

I've no idea dude! But probably the latter.

I seem to remember that one of the reasons I struggled so much with Demons Souls is that I had no magic or ranged weapons, just armour and a sword. There are guns and stuff in this right?

Not in the normal sense of a gun. No. It's mainly used for crowd control/countering rather than your main source of damage.

Incidentally you can totally start Demon Souls with ranged magic, and it's well easy to get a bow early on.

I've no idea dude! But probably the latter.

I seem to remember that one of the reasons I struggled so much with Demons Souls is that I had no magic or ranged weapons, just armour and a sword. There are guns and stuff in this right?

Guns don't work like you'd think. Take some time to find out about that. Range requires you to really spec into it.

Saw Cleaver definitely is a good all-round weapon if you are not sure exactly how you want to play, although perhaps a little boring (it carried me all the way into NG+ though). The only downside really is that it can lack reach in its non-trick configuration.

I think what is cool about this one though is that all the weapons seem very viable - there aren't any dud picks really and you can experiment well into the mid-game before you have to consider committing to any.

Edit: oh yeah in terms of guns, I'd go pistol over blunderbuss simply because it gives you a more generous parry window.

What I would suggest Davros, is taking everything very cautiously at the beginning. You can't even level up anything until a point that's probably beyond how far you'll play it on your first go.

I recall you as not minding difficulty, per se, but not liking frustration or obscurity. So.

Don't take on two guys if you can take on 1. Don't take on a giant dude if you can walk around or past him. You're supposed to die at the first encounter - don't feel like you fucked it up.

If you run up to a group of guys and run away again, you should find only some of them chase you down. Or at least, they'll chase you down at different speeds, so you're still doing 1-on-1 fighting.

Read everything you can find in the opening stage and the Hunter's Dream. Practice your moves!

You can't take on guys at range beyond your lock-on. Your gun isn't there to deal damage.

Focus on exploring and finding the shortcuts to make yourself a nice loop.

ALSO: KEY POINT: You start the game with no weapons!!! You will need to:

a) Find your weapons; and

b) EQUIP your weapons (in menus!).

I am yet to see a slapping only run of this game >> challenge extended to dood.

Also, particularly on that first proper sequence of bad guys, there's more than one approach rather than just walking up the main street. I think some of this part's purpose is to train you that melee is your only option, and how to deal therefore with closing up to and avoiding ranged opponents.

Chewy, that's why I recommend the Axe. In its second form it has good range and its heavy attack is arguably the best for crowd control.

Yeah I think the Axe is good as well - I sort of found it a little slow. I think the Cane is maybe the one to avoid though.

Davros, I co-oped the majority of the bosses that were getting too tedious for me to learn solo as it's just another the way the game was designed to be played.

It alleviates those bottlenecks where you want to get on and experience the game world which no doubt will be the bit you like best about it. I await a flurry of gothic screenshots.

Dav should post his first ten minutes here so we can have a look. I only wish I could play these games for the first time again.

Lunge attack is effective therefore time for lunge attacks.

And I'm done after hitting this hard since getting it. I think I fought / went to most places but haven't looked at a wiki, so who knows!

I agree with some of what Spainkiller was saying back around page 60 but still absolutely loved this from start to finish. Its wonderful and I have the choice now of HD DS2, DeS or going back over this and the chalice dungeons which I didn't really touch or even understand.

Davros, my advice...

1. The Wolf is supposed to kill you.

2. Make sure you look all around the hub/graveyard area before teleporting anywhere, read the messages on the floor and definitely don't go back without a gun, a melee weapon and the notebook

3. The game is mainly melee focused. The gun is for parrying / finishing weakened enemies.

4. Ensure you are happy you've explored EVERYWHERE before moving on to the next 'room' (it's a bit like Resi 4 in that regard) & you'll find shortcuts that will help later trips pass quickly.

5. Don't be afraid to try just running through once you've cleared an area once.

6. Come back and ask any questions you like

7. Don't give up