IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

It's a real time increase based on your equipped weapons and their scaling, showing their new output at that moment.

Note that if you have an elemental gem installed arcane will increase the real time damage whereas str/skill will not. This shows you how elemental gems work.

Played this for about four hours last night, my only significant achievement from that investment being that I did the thing which means I don't have to murder the huge crowd of blokes round the bonfire any more (although I was getting quite fond of that bit and the prospect of now having to do something different is disconcerting).

My question is, when do I start levelling up? Also, in the unlikely event I progressed a bit further and upped my stats and bought some amazing gear, would I be able to return to the bonfire boys and fuck them up with no fear of them being able to dent my health bar (JRPG-style) or is this a different kind of grind?

Speak to the doll in the hunters dream to level up and cash in your echoes but you can't do that until you have at least one insight which you can get by either reaching a boss or finding and using a particular item. And yes once leveled up you can come back and mash them up but at the same time they can still get you if you're not concentrating.

Good luck out there... :)

Ok! I don't know why I posted earlier to say I was finished and nothing else, I guess adrenaline got the better of me.

Anyway, I'll write this in a couple of layers of spoilers, so only read what you want to.

First lot, general impressions with nothing spoiled, just comments on general quality etc.

Edge were right when they said this is the first essential game this generation, and I'd urge everyone to play it. I won't go over the obvious. Combat is amazing, the architecture is the best seen in any game by far, the feeling of elation on beating bosses is brilliant. You know all that. However, I felt the game faded, much like Dark Souls 1 did...

And now spoilers for people who finished the game...

I didn't read Spainkiller's posts (and they are too far back to find) but I've a feeling we're likely similar in how we viewed the game. It took a huge dive after Rom and stopped being enjoyable. I found myself having to force my way through and with the exception of the brilliant Lecture Hall and the largely cool Nightmare Frontier (which incidentally can be played some time before Rom) it was all a complete slog with only the odd bit of respite. Unseen Village reintroduced everyone's favourite thing, respawning enemies. In Dark Souls these felt much more natural, in this they were just a pain even if the bell ringing women were a cool idea in theory. The entire Nightmare of Mensis was just a drag and a bad end to the game. It got a little boring and became more about survival than adventure, to its detriment. I interspersed it with Cainhurst Castle which really helped mix things up but when I went back the misery continued. The last third of the game took me as long as the first two thirds did.

The final two bosses were excellent, I really enjoyed overcoming Gehrman in particular who took me a good 15 goes and at times felt impossible. Great boss to end on.

Moon Presence was surprisingly easy after him but I was thankful, I was drained!

I'm very concerned about the lack of variety in characters for the game's longevity. I've no issue with it being tighter and all the weapons being cool, but after seeing countless 'builds' in Dark Souls it feels like there's only going to be a handful in this, which is a shame. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Looking forward to getting onto the chalice dungeons now. Should I read up on them or go in blind?

Anyone interested in putting the bosses in order of difficulty for fun? I bet there's a ton of difference. I missed one: Daughter of the Cosmos. I'll get her next time. I bet this will change after NG+. They were obviously all affected by my experience in playing.

From hardest to easiest:

Gehrman

Vicar Amelia

The One Reborn

Shadows of Yarnham

Rom

Amygdala

Blood Starved Beast

Mergo's Wet Nurse

Father Gascoigne

Darkbeast Paarl

Cleric Beast

Moon Presence

Micolash

Celestial Emmissary

Witch of Hemwick

Martyr Logarius

I've since discovered that Logarius was bugged for me. He put up barely any fight and spammed the same move over and over. I'm not sure if it's because I had less than 15 insight or if I might have left the console on too long. I didn't see this on any other boss (every other boss was aggressive and effective.)

(Bosses) From hardest to easiest:

Darkbeast Paarl (died fucking loads, likely due to being massively under-leveled)

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos (several deaths)

Gehrman (three deaths)

Vicar Amelia (three deaths)

Father Gascoigne (three deaths)

Shadow of Yarnham (two deaths)

Blood Starved Beast (two deaths)

Rom (two deaths)

Cleric Beast (two deaths)

The One Reborn (two deaths)

Micolash, Host of the Nightmare (two deaths)

Amygdala (two deaths)

Mergo's Wet Nurse (one-banger)

Celestial Emissary (one-banger)

Witch of Hemwick (one-banger, no vials)

Looking forward to getting onto the chalice dungeons now. Should I read up on them or go in blind?

You should definitely go in blind!

My only regret is that I didn't start going through at mid-game or so. By NG+ I'm finding myself to be massively over-leveled which is fun, in a way, but there are some unique bosses in there which are now a complete walk-over. :( I know this is going to ramp up in no time of course, but last night I felt like I'd ruined a part of the game.

Can these things be done co-op?

Played this for about four hours last night, my only significant achievement from that investment being that I did the thing which means I don't have to murder the huge crowd of blokes round the bonfire any more (although I was getting quite fond of that bit and the prospect of now having to do something different is disconcerting).

My question is, when do I start levelling up? Also, in the unlikely event I progressed a bit further and upped my stats and bought some amazing gear, would I be able to return to the bonfire boys and fuck them up with no fear of them being able to dent my health bar (JRPG-style) or is this a different kind of grind?

Levelling up will help cushion things, but ultimately it's more the kind of game where your own skill and understanding of the mechanics is the real way you level up.

You come back to that pyre and smash those guys later, sure, but it'll be because you're so much better at playing it, rather than the stats.

Fucking hell. NG+ bosses don't fuck around.

CB went down first try, but Gascoigne?... When he turns it's just rapid-fire face-rape which seems really difficult to evade out of. Try using the trees to buy yourself a window to heal, and only equip fire paper and the music box, that way it's just a single tap of the d-pad to toggle between the two.

I'm not really sure I understand how the chalice dungeons work. I have about three different chalices now - do they all result in different themes dungeons or something? What's the difference between me putting the same chalice on, say, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th grave.

I've got to the third layer of one dungeon and found several tomb moulds which it implies will allow me to create different dungeons every time. Does that mean that other ones are actually pre-set?

There's a 'story' chalice of each type, which is the same for everyone & then once you unlock a different version ( root chalice? ), you can then create RNG dungeons.

No difference between the different alters, they just allow you to have multiple dungeons up at the same time.

Nice tip timmo.

Anyone picked up this gun..

cannon!

Says it uses up 10 bullets but for some reason it won't let me equip it...

it takes 30 stamina to weld, but as mentioned earlier you can get three shots out of it as someone showed me. If you upgrade it, it is a beast.

I'm also getting butt rinsed in the woods by the snake head guys. I have no idea where to go!

Yeah, in that section now, lost about 80k echos by getting lost.

Cleared out the first village fine [had a vibe like RE4 I thought] all was going fine, then discovered a new weapon in a large building which looks interesting. Found a lift for some shortcut to bypass a little area. The next section had loads of little snakes which I was able to take down one at a time with no problems, then suddenly came upon the mother snake who was huge and started to spit venom at me. As I was trying to get away from it, a large pig got in my way and I got turned round and lost my bearings and got ambushed by loads of the mini snakes and the dudes with snake heads and died. I was running to find a safe place to use a Bold Hunter's Mark to warp out of the there but didn't have enough time. Took ages to get there from the first lantern in the Woods. Must of missed another shortcut somewhere.

I was doing the usual, keep progressing as I had gone to far into an area to back track to the last safe area and not wanting to re fight all the creatures incase there is a new lantern up ahead somewhere.

I did see a entry to a cave in the second village, near the cages of dogs but didn't have time to venture down. Also couldn't find the back entrance to unlock the gate at the first lantern in the area yet either.

Seems a very confusing area so far

Loving the game so much, also the Chalice Dungeons are so good. I created an amazing Pthumeru Depth 1 root dungeon if anyone wants to try it out. The Chalice Glyph is: skqutiiv

Also, just picked up this tip: don't have bells on your quick item bar. There is a second quick item bar you can get to by pressing the right hand side of the touchpad.

You completed the game before clocking this? :o

Make sure you've explored FW thoroughly or you'll miss a secret path that leads to an item which leads to an optional area which is one of the best in the game so far imo - CC.

If you want a bit of a hint as to where to find the path

it's near all the dog cages in the woods

There's still a fair bit of work to do after that, mind.

Bosses, hardest to easiest:

Gehrman, the First Hunter (eleven deaths and still not beaten)

Blood-starved Beast (seven deaths)

Rom, the Vacuous Spider (four deaths)

Father Gascoigne (one death)

Amygdala (one death)

Micolash, Host of the Nightmare (one death)

The Witch of Hemwick (one death)

Cleric Beast (First time)

Vicar Amelia (first time)

Darkbeast Paarl (first time)

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos (first time)

Shadow of Yharnam (first time)

Mergo's Wet Nurse (first time)

Celestial Emmisary (first time)

The One Reborn (first time)

Also, ending question:

I've already spoken to Gherman and the fog gate is there to fight him. If I get and consume the umbilical thirds now can I fight the moon presence? Or is it a third option on the final choice thing?

I've just had a bug where the frame rate dropped to single FPS when entering into the SoY boss area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZPtMjvTID8&spfreload=10

Was a little concerned (read very) that I wouldn't be able to progress further in the game! Turns out its a bug caused by having the auto camera setting turned off....so if you should get this happening then switch that option back over to fix it.

I went past those cages into a poisonous area. Is that the one? Few big bad guys and lots and lots of items but I didn't see another way out.. Should I go back?

I just tried the insect boss and got owned. Not sure if I should try that again or head out and do some other stuff.

Yeah, go back.

Just beaten CC boss and was surprised how easy he was. Still took me about 5-10 times but that was mostly due to my own impatience. Very very doable. If you attack and evade in a certain way then he only has about 3 different moves, one of which he uses 90% of the time.

I've just had a bug where the frame rate dropped to single FPS when entering into the SoY boss area.

Was a little concerned (read very) that I wouldn't be able to progress further in the game! Turns out its a bug caused by having the auto camera setting turned off....so if you should get this happening then switch that option back over to fix it.

Ah that's what happened to me, it also happened in the area leading up to SOY to. I restarted my PS4 and it seemed ok but I'll check my settings just in case .

Bosses, hardest to easiest:

Gehrman, the First Hunter (eleven deaths and still not beaten)

Blood-starved Beast (seven deaths)

Rom, the Vacuous Spider (four deaths)

Father Gascoigne (one death)

Amygdala (one death)

Micolash, Host of the Nightmare (one death)

The Witch of Hemwick (one death)

Cleric Beast (First time)

Vicar Amelia (first time)

Darkbeast Paarl (first time)

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos (first time)

Shadow of Yharnam (first time)

Mergo's Wet Nurse (first time)

Celestial Emmisary (first time)

The One Reborn (first time)

Also, ending question:

I've already spoken to Gherman and the fog gate is there to fight him. If I get and consume the umbilical thirds now can I fight the moon presence? Or is it a third option on the final choice thing?

Re Ending

If you consume the 3 cords then you fight Gherman and once beaten you fight the final boss, there is no third option to the convo

Hardest boss I've fought so far is

Martyr Logarius, and I've killed up to and including Rom

- If you haven't been playing for 12 hours, and had around 40 insight or so when you fought him you'd know. I swear I beat him more through luck than actual skill. Worst boss in terms of the camera too.

None of the other bosses were anywhere near as hard. Apparently if you spend your insight after you've fought a boss with high insight, they stay with the extra attacks etc. Probably why it was so bloody hard if that's true :facepalm:

Well, 2nd attempt today, R is down!

Just managed to escape the wanky one-hit-kill-bullshit-spider-divingheadbutt attack right at the end. Watch out, those spiders still do damage for a few seconds after downing the boss...

Not really in the right frame of mind to play tonight, I tried the next level and its nails!

Got to mention the outstaning audio in this as well, the surround mix is great. The sound alone is scary enough to prevent the kids from entering the room when I am playing, and the missus has said listening to it from another room it sounds like hell is unleased. High praise indeed!

Nice work, but my version of RTVS behaves much more aggressively than that, spamming

meteors

multiple times once that phase triggers (after losing a third of his health), as a result not got him below half yet as getting continuously mullered.