IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Weird, my ML experience was nowhere near as intense as that. I basically just kept dodging forward and to the left and getting a couple of quick cane slashes in each time for the whole fight. Definitely didn't see some of those moves you're talking about. I saw most of them but found that staying close, dodging forward and slashing tending to interrupt most of them, and dashing forward for any magic missed them easily. My insight was only around 20-25 if that makes any difference though.

Sounds like you've been fighting the 'easy' versions of the bosses, that's what ML does if the game has been on for over 12 hours.

I ended up fighting a couple of them like that before I realised what was happening ( MhoN for sure, maybe TOR as well )

I haven't had the game on for over 12 hours so maybe it's a Suspend/Resume thing. To be honest I don't know if I'm hugely fussed if I'm fighting easier versions of the bosses, they're still a challenge for me.

I wish I'd taken a video of my victory now. Probably will for future bosses.

Edit - yeah this comparison shows I definitely got the easy version: http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/06/bloodborne-bosses-become-easy-if-you-leave-ps4-on-for-12-hours/

God, the trip through NF to A is a thankless task. A sprint through a poison lake (which admittedly only needs one antidote to get through) is one thing, but then you go through all of the frenzy-inducing brain things (again, not a problem if my health is full but it costs a few vials) just to get to the boss, who then proceeds to take off half of my lifebar with one two hit combo. I feel like I'm getting somewhere, but the way you have to engage him makes it tricky. :P

Beat A! Shaky hands, pounding heart but I did it. Switched up to the heavy Ludwig's Holy Blade which helped a lot, and then I drew him towards a wall and chopped the necessary bits. I still think there's a lot of BS in that whole sequence though, from the frenzy stuff and the poison lakes on the way, to not being able to see shit during the battle due to the camera and having to be up in the boss' nuts all the time, but the battle's over.

EDIT: thanks to Broker and Pupponvesh for the pointers about the battle and the route. I was trying out various bits in the battle so I found some advantages in places, and I eventually discovered one shortcut that helped a bit, although I still had to cross through a lot of crap...

You need a lot of patience with these Defiled Chalice Dungeons. Each room is like the bonfire all over again!

They're a bit of a slog at times, and navigating them can get confusing, but it's very nice end-game material either way.

The UV is brutally hard! Is this the next part of the story? Or is the nightmare area the next part? I was put there earlier but opted to do some other stuff instead.

I did however, find a secret key 'upper cathedral key' - is this an optional area too?

I would like to do as many of the optional areas as possible as I'm unlikely to play it again.

Cheers

Yea, UV is the next part.

I don't think its too bad TBH, in that

once you realise the enemies respawn and they will only die for good once you kill the bell ringer for the area, you play the level differently. I did a lot of running, getting an understanding of the level, dying (just accepted the soul loss) repeat. Once you know where the bell ringer is, optimally get to her, kill her and you can have a bit of a safer look around.

When you play it like this you'll find that the area is actually quite small and you can run to next lamp pretty quickly.

I'm here too actually and just got to (ran to) TOR back in HG but haven't actually looked around that area yet other than finding the lift that takes you back to the top of UV.

Are you fighting everyone or just running past?

If the former it's really easy just to run past them all. Takes all of 20 seconds. VA was a bit of a bogey boss for me and the loading was a much bigger issue than the route.

Can't believe the amount of people giving up on this after only 20-30mins. I mean I knew going in that it wasn't like your typical RPG like Skyrim but to just sack it off before even giving it a real good go is lunacy.

Its time versus money for some i'm afraid.

I'm quite happily plodding through the game, as in plodding! ( Only beaten three bosses thus far )

others have completed it and are done.

its the ones who are constantly getting Eaten and Splatted that just think " I havent got time for this "

What I will say personally.. is that ive not found any of the boss fights very exciting yet, because they are so top heavy and its more of a rush to try and beat them rather than sit back and take it all in.

The run from the Cathedral Ward torch and VA is killing me. A third of the time I don't even make it. Most of the time I make it about 30 seconds tops in the fight too :(

Have you unlocked both shortcuts? Try veering towards the right (facing the church) going up the stairs.

its the ones who are constantly getting Eaten and Splatted that just think " I havent got time for this "

That's the problem.

People SHOULD have time for it. This is why most games today are tailored for the masses who just want to mash through stuff.

Time is money? How about saving some money by not buying anything else this year until this is completed? Once I'm done with the platinum I'm going back to some 16-bit things I could never complete when I was younger, like Contra III and stuff, to see how they compare.

I find it pretty disappointing that, even for Fromsoft (who aren't exactly renowned as the most technically competent studio) that there is somehow a bug in the game which completely breaks boss AI.

Am sure they're working on it though, they responded well to earlier criticism of other parts of the game.

Itching to get back, probably won't have a chance tonight though :( need to finish exploration of FW before manning up and smashing TOR. Then maybe some more chalice dungeons, they're so good, perfect for unwinding when annoyed at the main game. It's like arcade mode Dark Souls!

Can't believe the amount of people giving up on this after only 20-30mins. I mean I knew going in that it wasn't like your typical RPG like Skyrim but to just sack it off before even giving it a real good go is lunacy.

I think the lack of progress you can make in your allocated time frame can make this game impenetrable to a lot of players, especially with very few opportunities to save your progress (The FW area was a massive area with only one save point IIRC).

Not everyone can spend all day on this, most, including me, may only get an hour on a good day to play this.

If you sack it off in 30 minutes, then it clearly isn't a game for you. I feel like this with MGS games, I get into the hype, then sit down for an hour and play about 5 minutes of game. After a couple of sessions I've lost interest because the amount of time I have for the game is not sufficient, and I don't feel like I am getting anywhere.

I've been lucky this week, as I have had 4 days off from work. Had I not, I would of probably been somewhere back at the start of Bloodborne wondering what all the fuss was about.

So ML...

What a twat.

Use the pillars to get close & once you're actually in his face, he should do the magic attacks less so you can concentrate on dodging & getting your shots in.

When he jumps away, close the distance back down again quickly.

Second / third phase, manage your health well & get the timing down to dodge the jumping attack. I died more times on the last phase, when I'd got him down to the last few hits than any other, as if get greedy & not back off to heal in time.

This game finds itself in a weird spot because there are so few games to play on PS4 (particularly RPGs or anything from Japan). I think the target audience is potentially much older than the current average PS4 owner. But with everyone looking for something to play of significance you get millennials (with zero patience) buying this game and dropping it when they discover is not an FPS. I imagine this happens more and more in all games these days and the answer is always make the game easier. I remember looking in horror at my nephew going through entire galaxy levels guided by Rosalinda (that game played itself if you wanted it to if I recall). I also think a lot of casual gamers will give this game a go because it looks so damn cool. The art design of this is outstanding.

I find it pretty disappointing that, even for Fromsoft (who aren't exactly renowned as the most technically competent studio) that there is somehow a bug in the game which completely breaks boss AI

That's possibly got something to do with the suspend/resume firmware being released on the same day as the game. I'm assuming they wouldn't have had a lot of time to test with it.

Use the pillars to get close & once you're actually in his face, he should do the magic attacks less so you can concentrate on dodging & getting your shots in.

When he jumps away, close the distance back down again quickly.

Second / third phase, manage your health well & get the timing down to dodge the jumping attack. I died more times on the last phase, when I'd got him down to the last few hits than any other, as if get greedy & not back off to heal in time.

Cheers, I'll try that. :)

I get to the 2nd/3rd phase pretty much every time (with my cane and a bolt paper I can stun lock him with my R1 attack until he's about a third down on health) and then always when he speeds up I seem to get caught up in some sort of insta-death loop where I take some damage and then he hits/reaches me quicker than I can use vials even when trying to dodge around the pillars.

I think gun parrys would would be really good here but as I rarely use them I'm not the best and fail more than I hit. He just seems to be the complete package with dangerous ranged attacks, really quick manoeuvrability, decent reach and also hits pretty hard. By a country mile the hardest I've fought so far!

Decided to sack him off for now and take down TOR instead...

...which is like night and day difficulty wise (I can't believe these two bosses are approximately at the same point of the game).

Took me two attempts but only because I got greedy on the final sliver of health first time round and didn't realise a) my health was low, and b) he'd spewed up everywhere and I was constantly taking damage. Second attempt I only used 3 vials all fight (including one from being mauled by a hound on the way there). Probably the easiest I've fought other than WoH.

Off to clear out the LB (again as I did it when clearing NF/A earlier on). I presume there will be some new surprises in store. :)

Endgame.

I finally do GTFH (not TOO hard, despite me constantly dying to him) and I find I've got to fight MP aswell. Now it seems to be a matter of doing GTFH efficiently enough to then be able to learn MP, all in 20 vials.

Oof.

Edit

Jut been through the fog gate again. Just MP. Thank God for that.

I've finally got started on this in the last week. I've played through the three Souls games once each but I would've thought I was a fairly average player so I'm a bit surprised at how smoothly this has gone so far. Though for each of those my character was basically an aggressive melee type so that's probably helping.

CB:

Absolutely shit myself when it suddenly appeared as I was winding down to go to bed - wasn't expecting one to appear without the warning of a fog door or at least something along those lines. He did go down first time but it was a very tense and long-winded affair as at that point I hadn't discovered either the gun parry mechanic or the trick weapon switching combo thing :lol:. I was loving the combat even before the added depth that they bring so afterwards it was like 'instant 10/10'. Though it did kind of spike the difficulty for a little while as I tried to get used to putting it all together rather than playing it as a Souls game minus blocking. The parrying I'm still slightly sketchy on - I assume not every attack can be parried?

FG:

Again down first time and weirdly comfortably. I think I probably got lucky by hitting on the technique straight away having been messing around with the parrying just before that. Two fun bosses so far though, certainly prefer them to any that were in DSII.

I've bought all the available weapons at this point but nothing's really made me want to give up the cleaver and blunderbuss, as cool as the others are. I quite fancy having a proper Castlevania playthrough with the cane/whip next time.

Also, has anyone else had glitchiness in OY? A few times I've had a kind of digital grindy noise similar to that you sometimes get just before Windows does a BSOD, which is a bit disconcerting.

That's possibly got something to do with the suspend/resume firmware being released on the same day as the game. I'm assuming they wouldn't have had a lot of time to test with it.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought about it that way!

Snuck a quick 20 mins.. Found that bit that's easy to miss in FW..

To save me blundering a spoiler on you, location : IC..

Made it to the clinic itself but had to stop as soon as I got there. But!

man, that trek up the ladder and out into the Yarnham streets was grim! All those corpses being tossed down that hole.. :(

Ioefska responsible? Hmmm..

Loved that trek through the poison tunnels. Those sneaky maggot snake things nearly stunlocked me to death a couple of times!

This bloody game.

Well I managed to finish it with a little help from a helpful young lady (summon)

we defeated GTFH together but then I had a cut scene with scary thing and then

I ended up being the first hunter in the wheel chair

though I not sure if this is the good ending?

I tried him by myself but I was always second best when he was down to a quarter health.

I didn't have to fight anyone else as mentioned above .

But I am glad I managed to finish it with out referring to a guide or wiki, which is nice.

I but I did miss a lot of things like

I didn't find the tool to activate the other alter in the house in the hunters dream

Didn't finish a Chalice Dungeon

Didn't find the key to the door at the top of the workshop

Missed CC, as I only started looking towards the end of the game

Left out the fist bit of NF

Missed a few weapons like the swords and wheel thingy

and more :)

Any way I can now gorge myself of lore an wiki goodness :)