IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Further post-game thoughts:

After finishing Dark Souls I couldn't wait to start again, trying different weapons and directions. Bloodborne, though, just doesn't have that. By levelling my character more or less equally (except for Bloodtinge) I pretty much had access to everything except high level magic, and found the magic in general to be all but useless.

I finished the game with all but one chalice, and the enforced NG+ means I can't go back. I could probably get to the boss I missed in 5 or so hours but it'll be the upgraded version.

So I think I've settled on a brand new run using the internet to make sure I don't miss anything, and just leaving the last boss alone before through the chalice dungeons.

I've not touched the game since I finished it and it's a shame I don't feel the drive to start again like in Dark Souls. Hmm.

So it there a different ending if you complete all the Chalice Dungeons before taking on GTFH?

I've started a NG with a female character, as it seems there may be more clothing options for the ladies? but I have already noticed an NPC that wasn't there on my first play through. I visited the same area but the first time nothing even though I sure I have done the same things, hmm, I though my first run was a bit lonely :)

Why would I need to restart? I was just planning to go fight him again.

Don't tell me - grunts re-spawn but bosses don't?

Yup :)

Why would I need to restart? I was just planning to go fight him again.

Don't tell me - grunts re-spawn but bosses don't?

Correct.

Don't feel bad. You didn't mean to glitch him. The game is so damn unforgiving I think if you use a glitch unknowingly then you are beating the game fairly.

You can face him again with your next character.

Also, make damn sure you take tons of Bold Hunter Marks for Chalice Dungeons... You don't want to get lost after unlocking the boss door and having to navigate all the way back.

He said he only plays the once. However I recommend at least facing him on NG as it would only take one minute to reach him.

Question for people who got all the way to the end…

I’m currently at TOR and I’m hoarding my Blood Stone Chunks in the event that I get given some uber weapon.

Can I expect something else before the end that I should hold these for or should I just spend them on my current weapon?

Correct.

Don't feel bad. You didn't mean to glitch him. The game is so damn unforgiving I think if you use a glitch unknowingly then you are beating the game fairly.

Yes, in that case I shall move on, guilt free.

Glitch needs patching asap though, I'd have thought.

He said he only plays the once. However I recommend at least facing him on NG as it would only take one minute to reach him.

Well, unless this reaches RE4 levels of obsession, in which case I'll play it...oooh, about 9 times.

Question for people who got all the way to the end

Im currently at TOR and Im hoarding my Blood Stone Chunks in the event that I get given some uber weapon.

Can I expect something else before the end that I should hold these for or should I just spend them on my current weapon?

Chunks drop from higher level enemies so you can always get more. However the next upgrade material is limited to 1 per playthrough, so that's when you need to be certain.

What do you mean?

Men can wear the dresses too, you know!

Ahh I thought it may have been like Demons' where some outfits where only for the ladies. Which is good as I always liked to wander around Dark Souls in Oolacile's dress :)

Not having a password shouldn't cause any problems, however having your PS4 on application resume mode isn't recommended. Many people (myself included) can see the messages and death things on the floor but are unable to summon or be summoned. Resetting the game properly for each session seems to do the trick.

VA is kicking my arse!

Got to say, I'm not enjoying this as much as I hoped. Don't get me wrong I think it's awesome, but (and I know many here will feel differently), I really enjoy playing the Soul's games with a guide and I got an email from Amazon saying Bloodborne's is subject to yet further delay.

I'm enjoying it enough to know that I will see it through and after that a NG+ is all but a certainty, but Scholar of the First Sin arrives this week and I can see me taking a BB break to play that while I'm waiting for the guide to arrive.

It's not shields I miss so much as bows :(

Not having a password shouldn't cause any problems, however having your PS4 on application resume mode isn't recommended. Many people (myself included) can see the messages and death things on the floor but are unable to summon or be summoned. Resetting the game properly for each session seems to do the trick.

Cheers, hope that does the trick next time i'm stuck somewhere.

Ahh I thought it may have been like Demons' where some outfits where only for the ladies. Which is good as I always liked to wander around Dark Souls in Oolacile's dress :)

Hehe.

I likes Doll's dress / shirt. From the back it looked like a cowboy poncho combined with some regular trousers and Gazza's hat! :D

It's not shields I miss so much as bows :(

I'm not missing bows as such but think the weapon selection choice could have included one or two crossbows/ a trick crossbow-blade thingy. They'd fit in with the theme/ gameplay mechanics perfectly.

I've used summoning with no password and generally had success. It can take a while sometimes, but I do think it could do with some indication of activity at your echo level or area maybe?

The number of skellie babies gathering at a lantern apparently indicates how many compatible hunters are gathered in your area. Or so I heard.

Read something interesting on reddit, for people whose bloodstain has gone missing after exiting the game, which some people were complaining about a few pages back (gonna put this as a spoiler because it relates to a late game area):

So apparently if you have exited the game and subsequently found that your bloodstain is missing, it may have respawned in the Lecture Building (I can verify that this has in fact happened to me - mine was sitting in the corridor on the ground floor):

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/32cyyx/psa_you_can_go_to_the_lecture_building_to_pick_up/

Bit unclear whether this is a feature or a bug at the moment.

Non-spoiler thoughts on the limited vials/bullets situation.

I'm actually on the fence with it. Etsus was a pretty great system, and making retrying bosses as painless as possible needed to be a priority in this series.

There's nothing in this game as bad as the Four Kings run. Including shortcuts and running past enemies, almost all - and possibly all - bosses can be reached in less than a minute. Four Kings was probably about 80-90 seconds. So as regards keeping boss-loss frustration to a minimum (loading aside), the game is totally fine.

The problem with vials comes when you run out. If you're in the middle of a boss assault, you're going to need to stop while you go and get some more. Farming is never fun in any game, and I'm dead against it. Don't make me replay areas with no challenge with only a random number generator for company. It's bad design.

Fortunately, both vials and bullets are easily farmable. The vials by running the great bridge (including the two werewolves) to FG lamp (you can run past the burning barrel) and the bullets in an obvious area with lots of gun-toting villagers. Both can bought also, but they're expensive. The price of vials and bullets seems so high that it can't be a mistake, though. Why make something so easily obtained so expensive?

I wonder if the designers are pushing us to do two things: one, to get into the habit of using 'regain' (the action of regaining lost health by attacking before it disappears permanently i.e. promoting aggressive play ahead of defensive play) and two, to learn the bosses properly and not become over reliant on healing.

The bullets, I guess, need to be limited to stop players spamming gun attacks to chip enemies down. I never ran out of bullets and never farmed them so it was never of any consequence to me. Did anyone else have to do farming runs for bullets? How did you feel about it?

Overall, I probably went on 15 vial farming runs. About an hour's worth. Not the end of the world in a 45 hour playthrough. But significant.

Despite that horrible hour of farming I remain on the fence because I wonder if it changed my attitude. It must have. During those boss battles I felt less free to use my vials and as a result I learnt those bosses faster. Less healing, more dodging. I'd be fascinated to know if - in a parallel universe with infinite vials - my total playtime would have been more or less.

The number of skellie babies gathering at a lantern apparently indicates how many compatible hunters are gathered in your area. Or so I heard.

yeah, well there are always your ones (4 of them, mine are sporting hats). The extra ones indicate coop players. I haven't been seen anyone to summon in ages, maybe I'm over-levelled :(

I noticed there are a group of messengers holding down one of the gate levers in Cathedral Ward preventing it from being used. Wonder what's that all about.

I've only just realised what Arcane seems to be for, regret putting points into bloodtinge instead.

Chunks drop from higher level enemies so you can always get more. However the next upgrade material is limited to 1 per playthrough, so that's when you need to be certain.

I've still got my rock, can't decide if my beloved axe or Ludwig should get it. Moveset & feel of the axe is superior but that damage from Ludwig is really starting to increase now I'm levelling skill.

What to do, what to do...

I think if they wanted to discourage healing and encourage the use of regain, there were probably more elegant ways of doing it. My main issue with blood vials is that you have absolutely shitloads of them and it takes very little time to use one, so I don’t think the need to farm them encourages you to use regain instead of blood vials. It’s not like the threat of having to farm them later outweighs your immediate need for healing.

It would be interesting if regain was the only way to regenerate health, like in that WH40K: Space Marine game that came out a while back.

The regain after taking damage kinda irks me a bit. It's a good idea but if you've been flattened by a boss, you then have to wait to get up before you attack by which point the enemy is normally preparing another attack. Or the hit will be part of a chain and the enemy is unable to be staggered by hitting back so what little damage you end up doing is negated by taking more damage.

It's still better than nothing but for some of the really agressive enemies it's not much use.

Fortunately, both vials and bullets are easily farmable. The vials by running the great bridge (including the two werewolves) to FG lamp (you can run past the burning barrel) and the bullets in an obvious area with lots of gun-toting villagers. Both can bought also, but they're expensive. The price of vials and bullets seems so high that it can't be a mistake, though. Why make something so easily obtained so expensive?

I wonder if the designers are pushing us to do two things: one, to get into the habit of using 'regain' (the action of regaining lost health by attacking before it disappears permanently i.e. promoting aggressive play ahead of defensive play) and two, to learn the bosses properly and not become over reliant on healing.

You're much better off farming Echoes and just buying vials when you're past the early stages of the game. Close to the end of the game there is a pretty easy route that nets you close to 50k in just a few minutes. That's far more vials (and bullets) than you'd ever get in those other two routes you mentioned. The route I used early on was

Hemlock lane, killing those 3 executioner guys and a few normal mobs. Very easy with interrupts and visceral attacks, not much risk and a good amount of Echoes.

Plus most of the mobs in those routes I mentioned have a good chance to drop them as well.

I think the main reason they gave you more vials is because you are expected to do a lot more exploring in this before returning to the lamp - I think they were also trying to minimise the need for players to go back to Hunters Dream to regain their vials (and probably also because they knew there was an issue with the loading times). Unfortunately, a side effect of that though is that if you have got the combat down, having 20 vials is actually way too many against the bosses, but if you aren't a Souls vet or get stuck on a particular boss, then having 20 is maybe not enough, so you end up having to farm.

I think a compromise would have been to reduce vials to 10, have them auto-refill like Estus on death and drop from enemies and also allow you to regain health from visceral attacks even if you missed the regain window, but prevent you from buying vials from merchants. Also I'd be in favour of bumping bullets to 30 (although maybe tying bullets to the hunter tools makes this less practical).

I don't know though, it very hard to balance.

I think a compromise would have been to reduce vials to 10, have them auto-refill like Estus on death and drop from enemies and also allow you to regain health from visceral attacks even if you missed the regain window, but prevent you from buying vials from merchants. Also I'd be in favour of bumping bullets to 30 (although maybe tying bullets to the hunter tools makes this less practical).

I don't get what you mean. They already auto-refill on death, unless you mean even if you don't have any - but then why would you need them to still drop from enemies if it's all automatic? There is a rune to regain health from visceral attacks.

I also think saying that if you're good then 20 vials is too many vs bosses is a bit of a cheap dig.

Non-spoiler thoughts on the limited vials/bullets situation.

etc

I'm not sure what I feel about it either. But I do know this: I only ran out of vials once, because once I had, I knew not to make that mistake again! I don't think vials / bullets are particularly expensive, to be honest. They are in the early game, but come the point where it's costing you 15-20k per level up, I'd just be sure to drop a fair share of my souls on consumables if my totals / stash was getting low.

It did change how I play though. It's made me more aggressive, to unlearn the 'back-off-heal' instant reaction Dark Souls has trained into me! My first instinct is to now get in there and claim back as much health as I can first. That's really cool. The later runes you get which replenish health and bullets really help too.

And as for bullets, it's a similar pain when they get low; again I only ran completely empty once, after that farming session* I made more use of blood bullets (especially since you can regain the health) and made sure to drop some cash on ammo once in a while to keep the stash topped up.

* I've done about an hour's worth so far at Hypothean G, the enemies there don't drop vials or bullets, but they did drop upgrade items aplenty, and earned me some fat cash, I actually got up to 99 vials / bullets in about 15 minutes.. :o

I haven't run dry again since, as I'm keeping a close eye on my stock. I kinda like it, just another thing you have to pay attention to / plan for.

I've still got my rock, can't decide if my beloved axe or Ludwig should get it. Moveset & feel of the axe is superior but that damage from Ludwig is really starting to increase now I'm levelling skill.

What to do, what to do...

Ludwig's wins for me, it basically staggers EVERYTHING, even with the basic R1 attacks.. So much beast.

I don't get what you mean. They already auto-refill on death, unless you mean even if you don't have any - but then why would you need them to still drop from enemies? There is a rune to regain health from visceral attacks.

Yes I mean re-fill even if you don't have any, like the Estus mechanic in the other Souls games.

Vials would still drop from enemies, so you could continue to explore, even though your vials are reduced - you don't want to have to keep reloading just to re-stock vials. (Question about that is: do you still have a storage box for excess vials or not?)

Yes I realise there is a rune to regain health from viscerals, but they should have just made it a normal mechanic.