IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I can't take E down. I've burnt through 40 vials tonight trying with no luck. I keep getting hit by her charge attack, and even when I manage to dodge, one her arms hits me. Really frustrating fight, where the camera really isn't on your side either. I watched a video take down of her last night and (for the 1000th time) her attack patterns were nothing like I got. The variety of attacks I seem to be able to anticipate but she hits so hard. In one fight I charged straight in with bolt paper and somehow got one shotted. ENB was saying to bait a certain attack, survive it then move for a head shot. I need to re-watch his fight because the attack he baited doesn't seem to be coming up for me.

Hmm. I might give it a few days and then go back. I should have easily killed her by now.

Blah.

I don't remember the description with crystal clarity, but I remember figuring this out after reading the description of an item she drops. It's a pretty straightforward pointer once you read it, even though it's pretty important info to be obscured in this manner.

Yes. I've just done this bit for the 2nd time and the info is there if you look for it.

I can't take E down. I've burnt through 40 vials tonight trying with no luck. I keep getting hit by her charge attack, and even when I manage to dodge, one her arms hits me. Really frustrating fight, where the camera really isn't on your side either. I watched a video take down of her last night and (for the 1000th time) her attack patterns were nothing like I got. The variety of attacks I seem to be able to anticipate but she hits so hard. In one fight I charged straight in with bolt paper and somehow got one shotted. ENB was saying to bait a certain attack, survive it then move for a head shot. I need to re-watch his fight because the attack he baited doesn't seem to be coming up for me.

Hmm. I might give it a few days and then go back. I should have easily killed her by now.

Blah.

What weapon are you using? She was the first boss in ages that gave me trouble as I recall. In the end I used a +9 Saw Cleaver in extended mode, specifically for the overhead attack, and Bolt Paper:

Again, I suspect that player range is the key here. I kept close but not too close, and she kept doing her head slam, exposing her brainy weak spot. I think she only uses her charging attack once in the video. I used a few cheesy gunshots too, if you get four or five in they do mount up. Staggered her once but fluffed the visceral!

Vemsie

Alfred from Cathedral Ward

For E I was using the LHB+10, but it lacks a decent overhead attack, which I think is one of the places I'm failing. I seem to recall I had the same issue with A as well, in that the head was the weakest but I couldn't hit it half the time as the LHB didn't have the reach. I also think I went back to the axe for that fight too.

So it looks like I might need to get old painless out the bag.

Edit: Davros, just watched your ML fight again, brilliant stuff that second stage.

Well I've successfully gone back to Demons Souls, so I'm not sure about that, but I definitely haven't seen any single weapon as cool as those in BB. So far I've seen about 8 variations on simple swords. I'd take one Saw Cleaver over all of those any day, never mind if it transforms or not.

Tranforming weapons are the best. I much prefer BB's setting, presentation and lore over those of the Souls' games, as I find cosmic horror more interesting than dark fantasy and Bloodborne just nails that.

For me it has one of the coolest weapon sets in all of gaming.

Vemsie

Alfred from Cathedral Ward

For E I was using the LHB+10, but it lacks a decent overhead attack, which I think is one of the places I'm failing. I seem to recall I had the same issue with A as well, in that the head was the weakest but I couldn't hit it half the time as the LHB didn't have the reach. I also think I went back to the axe for that fight too.

So it looks like I might need to get old painless out the bag.

Edit: Davros, just watched your ML fight again, brilliant stuff that second stage.

The jumping attack with LHB is one of the best overheads in the game. Forward on the stick and R2 in transformed mode.

L2 with LHB does a good overhead. I used that for E.

In other news, I did that bit with the two bell maidens on Ailing Loran level 2 by just rushing in and taking them out before they spawned too many spiders. Wasn't too difficult actually once the shortcut was open, but I still lost 200k blood echoes in the process.

BSB immediately after that isn't proving to be too easy though. I keep on being grabbed and one shotted.

I just lost 7.5 million echoes. I was only carrying them as I had nothing to spend them on.

In other news, I just platinumed this :-)

Not sure I understood what was going on in the MP fight, to be honest, but I just stayed behind him and battered him on my second attempt.

I got a blood rock from the loran darkbeast in a dungeon just now. If I put the password up, does that mean everyone else who beats it also gets one or is it still random?

I can't find my way back to the password door at all now - I was sure it was somewhere near the cathedral circular plaza, near the alleyway with several doors where you can knock and get a response, but I've searched all around there.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

edit:: Don't worry found it!

Anne - had to look it up as I'd completely forgotten.

Left exit of the large circular area in front of the cathedral. There's two giants in the circular area.

From the grand chapel go directly out, down the stairs all the way to the big open area with the two giant dudes with axes. The one on the right has a doorway behind him into a building, go through there and follow the path without dropping down (if you drop down you go down and have to circle around the outside again).

I got a blood rock from the loran darkbeast in a dungeon just now. If I put the password up, does that mean everyone else who beats it also gets one or is it still random?

No, drops are random (well, upgrade item drops from bosses are random). If you find a blood rock in a chest, though, that can be shared.

jrwffkyp was quite a good one (Pthumeru Ihyll Root); There's a rock on the first floor. Was quite hard in places (particularly the final boss, despite having done him loads of times before, itt took me ages to beat him.

Just been back to Castle Cainhurst any defeated ML..

Which has pleased he no end.

It was certainly much easier with the level 10 LHB but, even so, I felt it was a pretty manageable fight as his moves are so clearly telegraphed prior to execution.

I found that by keeping a mid distance and rolling in to strike a few blows when he launched the skull attack, and using the columns as cover from the bigger blast attack, I could get him down to the next phase pretty efficiently. I thought that he actually became a little easier once he went airborne as just roling into those attacks left him very exposed to bring attacked from behind.

Of course, it still took a fair few attempts for me to work all the strategies out, not helped by any mistake being punished very severely indeed, and definitely not helped by the camera tracking, but with a high power weapon he was not as formidable as I had feared.

G is a bit swift though so that's going to be a hassle...

I finally killed DBP, after about 10 goes. He went down in a hail of molotovs and bashes with my kirkhammer +6.

I killed 3 other bosses while "grinding" to be strong enough to take him on. He was the hardest so far though.

However again, I'm not sure what I've gained for killing him! The doorway he was guarding just seems to be a short cut back to Old Yarnham, can I access anything new through there?

And of the goodies I got for killing him, only a badge of some kind seems like it might be useful for progressing the game, but I don't know what to do with them.

I'm not stuck as I've still got a way forward past the three-ninja-dudes boss that I just beat in the forest. But I'd like to know what killing DBP did.

Ah ok! I didn't realise that.

And it seems that it unlocks - a mace type weapon that I already found in a treasure chest, ages ago!

One of the things I can't help loving about these FROM games is their eccentric approach to the balancing of risk and reward in their games!

Edit- Is there anything else to do in Hidden Village then? It seems like a very small area - with just one optional boss and one lamp post, yet it gets its whole tombstone in the Dream? I thought I'd explored it pretty thoroughly and didn't see anywhere else to go.

And actually, there's a crazy bit of secret dialogue you can get..

If you spare the mini gun guy in Old Yarnham, then beat Paarl and come up to see him from behind, he'll be friendly! Mental little easter egg, that one. I really think they missed a trick not having a covenant in Old Yarnham tbh.

Went to a mate's wedding yesterday and had a brilliant time with lots of alcohol. Came back at 1ish, wife passed out, I inexplicably remember loading Bloodborne for some reason, pissed out of my wits and pressing buttons. Conked out at about 2...

Anyway, loaded the game up this afternoon and defiled WotOL was down! I could warp straight to level 3! I honestly thought it must have been some bug as I had no recollection whatsoever of what I accomplished in BB last night. Well done, slightly worse-for-wear me!

Stuck on a boss? Get drunk.

Finished this at the weekend, clearing out the remaining Chalice Dungeons & killing the final boss first time. What a game. I was uber sceptical about the no shield / aggressive gameplay (coming from DS) in this when I started but I was hella wrong. This game is magnificent.

Two achievements from Platinum, fudged up slightly as I blindly stumbled forth, and managed to miss both two missable umbilical cords, meaning I only had 2 and so couldn't get the "true" ending, nor could I fight the end guy in his purest & hardest form. But hey, that's what replaying the game is for, aye?

Think I'm gonna sell the game and come back fresh when the DLC is released, go through it all again & get that Platinum.

At least that's the plan. Even thinking about not playing a Souls game until then makes me jittery. I'll see how I get on. :lol: