Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Some non spoiler impressions from reddit:

I'm taking a taco bell break and just wanted to chime in on some of the stuff you guys have to look forward to if you haven't been lucky enough to find a rogue WalMart willing to sell you a copy yet.

I'm not going to post any specific details on any related topics, just general broad notions that I haven't seen a ton of people touch on that I know I'd want to hear going in to this game.

-While the first areas drag a little, the game really opens up. You'll have moments where you have multiple areas you could potentially go progress in and the linear feeling of the early stages blows wide open.

The world is HUGE. Some of these zones are incredibly large, and wide open areas. The city areas may feel linear due to the restricted movement to streets and back alleys, but let me assure you not to get discouraged by those early levels. When you get out into the open world areas later on, you will be rewarded if you like to explore. It's very big.

-There are lots of hidden scripted events. Take your time and really explore. I can't stress it enough. This isn't a go here go there go from level to level kind of game. Some of the places you'll end up are the direct result of decisions and actions you took in a chain of events. And some of those places are outrageously cool.

-The bosses all seem to play by the rules and you'll never get DaS2 punked by hit box bullshit. Yes, your dodge has a small invuln window but it IS VERY SMALL and it's back to careful timing if you want to avoid the more powerful attacks. Don't just think you can phone it in with 110+ AGI dodge rolls and win. This is not that. Combat is tight, and while it's faster paced - it works both ways, your enemies are just as fast.

-Bosses have a huge variety. The bosses they've shown you in preview videos are all just the first handful of bosses you'll encounter. I was a bit discouraged by the early vids because I started to think every damn boss was just a big wolf or a variation of a werewolf. They aren't. They get really fucking crazy. And they also have smaller tactical fights in the mix, it isn't all big scary huge monsters. Think DaS2 DLC Gank Squad Boss, lots of shit like that.

-Chalice dungeons have a ton of variety. It's way more complex than you may have initially guessed. There are four different dungeon types and within each of those types are multiple variants of dungeon you can create. You have a level of control on creating the dungeon that far exceeds what I'd initially thought. It's neat. Chalice Dungeons seem like they will meet and possibly exceed the hype.

-Lastly for now, this game really is the stuff made of nightmares. Some of the animations enemies have and the sick facial expressions they'll make while executing special moves on you is genuinely disturbing. Pay close attention to their full animations. There's a

witch enemy with a particular animation that really bugs me - she grabs you and has a knife and starts slowly cutting your throat back and forth from behind you while pulling your hair back with her other hand, and she makes this "O" face while doing it like she's legitimately getting off on it.

It's very unsettling. I love it.

All in all, just call out of work and get real sick so you can stay home from school for all of next week. You're going to need it. It took me 8-10 hours to really get hooked (the start is a little slow, don't expect instant satisfaction) but once you get there... jesus I can't put it down.

Earlier in the thread I was feeling a bit Souls'd out after putting so many hours into the previous games, but this seems genuinely different and fresh enough to get its hooks in all over again. Everything about the combat, bosses, systems and world all just sound amazing.

Day one US digital store for me, with the guide book on order from Amazon and next week off work.

That thing I spoilered about the Covenant is in the BB Wiki, whether it's confirmed I don't know but fingers crossed. It really sounded like a cruel and unusual punishment.

Some non spoiler impressions from reddit:

I'm taking a taco bell break and just wanted to chime in on some of the stuff you guys have to look forward to if you haven't been lucky enough to find a rogue WalMart willing to sell you a copy yet.

I'm not going to post any specific details on any related topics, just general broad notions that I haven't seen a ton of people touch on that I know I'd want to hear going in to this game.

-While the first areas drag a little, the game really opens up. You'll have moments where you have multiple areas you could potentially go progress in and the linear feeling of the early stages blows wide open.

The world is HUGE. Some of these zones are incredibly large, and wide open areas. The city areas may feel linear due to the restricted movement to streets and back alleys, but let me assure you not to get discouraged by those early levels. When you get out into the open world areas later on, you will be rewarded if you like to explore. It's very big.

-There are lots of hidden scripted events. Take your time and really explore. I can't stress it enough. This isn't a go here go there go from level to level kind of game. Some of the places you'll end up are the direct result of decisions and actions you took in a chain of events. And some of those places are outrageously cool.

-The bosses all seem to play by the rules and you'll never get DaS2 punked by hit box bullshit. Yes, your dodge has a small invuln window but it IS VERY SMALL and it's back to careful timing if you want to avoid the more powerful attacks. Don't just think you can phone it in with 110+ AGI dodge rolls and win. This is not that. Combat is tight, and while it's faster paced - it works both ways, your enemies are just as fast.

-Bosses have a huge variety. The bosses they've shown you in preview videos are all just the first handful of bosses you'll encounter. I was a bit discouraged by the early vids because I started to think every damn boss was just a big wolf or a variation of a werewolf. They aren't. They get really fucking crazy. And they also have smaller tactical fights in the mix, it isn't all big scary huge monsters. Think DaS2 DLC Gank Squad Boss, lots of shit like that.

-Chalice dungeons have a ton of variety. It's way more complex than you may have initially guessed. There are four different dungeon types and within each of those types are multiple variants of dungeon you can create. You have a level of control on creating the dungeon that far exceeds what I'd initially thought. It's neat. Chalice Dungeons seem like they will meet and possibly exceed the hype.

-Lastly for now, this game really is the stuff made of nightmares. Some of the animations enemies have and the sick facial expressions they'll make while executing special moves on you is genuinely disturbing. Pay close attention to their full animations. There's a

witch enemy with a particular animation that really bugs me - she grabs you and has a knife and starts slowly cutting your throat back and forth from behind you while pulling your hair back with her other hand, and she makes this "O" face while doing it like she's legitimately getting off on it.

It's very unsettling. I love it.

All in all, just call out of work and get real sick so you can stay home from school for all of next week. You're going to need it. It took me 8-10 hours to really get hooked (the start is a little slow, don't expect instant satisfaction) but once you get there... jesus I can't put it down.

To say I am hyped for this game is an understatement. Basically if this turns out to be shit, I am trading my PS4 for Wii U.

I left it too bloody late to get any time off work mind. I probably won't get a chance to properly rinse it until Easter weekend proper :-(.

To say I am hyped for this game is an understatement. Basically if this turns out to be shit, I am trading my PS4 for Wii U.

I left it too bloody late to get any time off work mind. I probably won't get a chance to properly rinse it until Easter weekend proper :-(.

By "rinse it" Easter weekend I trust you mean Easter 2018?

Just thought I'd mention that Sainsburys are doing their 'double up' nectar points vouchers until 31st March. So if you had £20 worth of points you can claim a voucher in store for £40 to spend on this.

GAF is having its once-a-day meltdown over the loading times.

"Originally Posted by orochi91
As they should, at least I hope they do.

Hopefully this infatuation with Miyazaki/FROM on this forum doesn't extend to the press and that they actually call out these bullshit load times.

This seems to be the type of thing a simple patch could fix, but why FROM/Sony saw fit to release the game like this is beyond me."

Just listened to some idiot claiming he was commenting on the NeoGaf reviews, but was clearly commenting on the Edge article. He was saying that:

1) If they've played 40 hrs and not finished it then they must be crap, as that's a long time, and

2) If they have only found 6 weapons then they have not explored enough

:doh:

Watching a Twitch stream and the guy died. Load time was less than 45 seconds - hardly the end of the world.

EDIT: Stream has been taken down. Apparently he hadn't installed the patch either.

45 seconds every time you die? That's going to get very old, very fast.