Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I like it all, it helps create this feeling of us all being in it together and gives it this otherworldly feeling (are parallel worlds part of the lore?). Although apart from part of a secret area where you have to make falls without dying the phantoms have always seemed kind of useless. 

I've turned them off now and it is definitely more immersive, I had no idea what was coming next, I was also playing this on headphones for the first time last night and wow, the audio in this is amazing, so bloody atmospheric. Got repeatedly twatted in The Cathedral Ward area, did find Old Yharnam but I decided not to go in there and try Cathedral Ward first. I think any duties I had today are going to get neglected.

12 hours ago, Minion said:

On another matter, I play the online mode and there are notes everywhere, it almost feels like having cheat mode on, should I just turn it off, what are peoples opinions on the notes?

I leave them on - it's just another part of the world and experience for me, and the fractured sentences are sometimes vague enough to feel more like clues than outright guides. And I could read dozens of notes about a boss before encountering it and I wouldn't have a fraction of the tactical information I'd receive from the battle itself - all of the moves the boss has, multiplied by the number of phases a boss has, and then allowing for different builds and weapons and items players have to hand, etc...

urgh...

mixed bag of a session tbh. decided to give the research hall a rest as its doing my head in now. 

went off and got to cainhurst. played through fairly easily, although i had to look up where to go towards the end, i never would have found that... got to logarious, got him about half on the first go. second go i had some help and we were smashing his face in. unfortunately, i wasnt looking where i was going and promply fell off the sodding side. RAGE. 

he went down on the third attempt. 

went back to research hall. wish i hadnt... 

where is good for an easy way to farm lots of echoes? 

next on the list is the area i got to by the door at the top of the tower. had a go at it yesterday & got into the building and killed the werewolf but chickened out going any further. those guys that take your insight are nasty! 

Old Yharnam spoilers

I had a fight with a hunter who was bloody hard actually and I popped the most vials I've ever popped in any fight but then I got killed by the gunner again! Went back to try and find my echoes and couldn't and the gunner got me again. I take it that Hunter doesn't come back once you've killed him?

I fucking love this game

Cool thanks, glad I've already done him then. The amount of times I have died because I have been looking for my echoes when really you should just let them go if you can't find them straight away. I never get that angry though, yet.

I'm guessing this could be seen as a bit of a spoiler. I certainly wouldn't want to have known about it. I've recently beaten VA

Spoiler

And then a couple of hunters before getting killed by one of these wraith things. Then instead of waking up in the hunter's dream I've woken up in a cell in the unseen village (I think it was called). Very unexpected. I guess past events and the story as a whole is about to become a fair bit clearer. 

Spoilers Old Yarnham

I killed the gunner by shooting him off the roof, but now his bear is a glowing thing hanging somewhere I can't get at it, am I missing something very good or does he just drop standard loot?

I found the answer, I just had to return to Hunters dream and go back to the scene of the crime for his drop.

I absolutely love the way you can bring in other players to help you defeat bosses in this.  Twice now I've become frustrated with a big boss, called in another player and kicked arse first time.  Absolutely fantastic.  A brilliant way of getting you over a hump in the game without breaking the sense of immersion or making you feel like you've cheated in some way.

I haven't played much Souls apart from a brief stint on Demon's Souls years ago where, again, I got frustrated with the bosses and ended up giving up on the game.  Has Dark Souls got a similar mechanic to Bloodborne where randoms can help you out?  If so then I should have played this series years ago because I am loving pretty much everything about Bloodborne.

It's probably a bit silly, but as much as I'm loving Bloodborne, I'm not sure if that would travel over to Dark Souls.Even though they're pretty much the same game the theme is just a lot less appealing to me than Yharnam's Lovecraftian trappings.

9 minutes ago, Fury.HD said:

It's probably a bit silly, but as much as I'm loving Bloodborne, I'm not sure if that would travel over to Dark Souls.Even though they're pretty much the same game the theme is just a lot less appealing to me than Yharnam's Lovecraftian trappings.

I'm wondering the same thing. I love the style of Bloodborne, gothic horror is great! Once I'm done with Bloodborne though I will have to try DS just because this game is so good! Should I go for DS2 or DS3 first?

Don't ask me! I think there's a good chance I'll pick up two or three. But I'm sure I'll need a rest, or something more sedate to cleanse my palate in between. Hopefully that'll be No Man's Sky if it doesn't let us all down.

13 hours ago, Fury.HD said:

I feel your pain. Dark Souls just doesn't appeal to me as much as bloodborne does.

16 hours ago, Fury.HD said:

I said exactly the same thing, and BB is still my favourite, but Dark Souls isn't quite the straight Dragons and Knights themed game it first appears. It's plenty freaky in parts, and I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it after loving BB. 

On 4/23/2016 at 7:31 PM, KartoffelKopf said:

@Fury.HD

17 bosses in the main game, 3 or 4 of which are optional. Although obviously you need to do them all. 

A lot more of them are optional than that I believe. According to the wiki:

Manditory: FG, VA, SoY, Rom, TOR, M, MWN

Optional: CB, BSB, WoH, ML, DP, CE, E, A, GTFH, MP

Just mandatory is fine for now. Any optional ones I come across will feel my wrath, but I won't be cross checking to make sure I haven't missed things on a first playthrough. Just wanted to get an idea of my progress through the game so far. 

I've tried him 3 times all with Alfred and actually it makes it harder to get the urn and molotovs on him and even strikes as he moves around so much and attacks him a lot. I think I'm going to forget Alfred next time. I need to farm some more bullets too, I'll get them from Central Yarnham I guess. I so love the atmosphere in this game, looking forward to the weekend when I can spend a lot of time playing. Thanks for the tips.

It's worth bearing in mind that bosses gain 50% more health when you bring a summon with you, and the NPC summons often aren't much of an aid.

As Davros says, you can parry BSB. Otherwise, focus on getting behind him, where most of his attacks won't connect. Most of his powerful attacks are clearly telegraphed, except for one of his lunge and grab attacks which can be a bit tricky to spot (he'll sort of twitch before he does this).

Probably been answered before but how far is too far before going for DLC?

Took a long time out from this due to COD but I'm determined to finish before attempting DS111.

Getting back in and I've done a few bosses (guy on the roof who threw red faces at me, big thing at the end of the Nightmare frontier) and seems I have a few paths open.

Can go to upper Cathedral Ward or the second Nightmare level - I stuck my head in there for a look about before some spears seemed to appear from nowhere and my head exploded. Didn't seem friendly.

Am I better off going DLC now and coming back stronger? Have I missed my chance to do DLC and have to do it on NG+?