Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Beat LtfV last night, in a really strange boss fight. Got absolutely pummeled on my first go, in what was by far my worst opening attempt at a boss ever. Normally I can still manage to get them to about half health through being aggressive (and probably a over leveled) but I got one hit in before dying.

The second attempt, I somehow managed to avoid being hit, and once I got it to its second form, it became ridiculously easy. I just patiently sat back and waited for him to massively telegraph that let me easily get behind him. Did it on my second go with no real hairy points.

Anyway, on to the third area of the DLC now...

Oh sorry - not my video, should have said. Just found it on YouTube.

5 hours ago, Parksey said:

Beat LtfV last night, in a really strange boss fight. Got absolutely pummeled on my first go, in what was by far my worst opening attempt at a boss ever. Normally I can still manage to get them to about half health through being aggressive (and probably a over leveled) but I got one hit in before dying.

The second attempt, I somehow managed to avoid being hit, and once I got it to its second form, it became ridiculously easy. I just patiently sat back and waited for him to massively telegraph that let me easily get behind him. Did it on my second go with no real hairy points.

Anyway, on to the third area of the DLC now...

This game...

LtfV was my bogey boss. Took me God knows how many attempts. 30? Maybe even 50!

Admittedly, I'm level 118 or so and still on the original new game mode.

The hardest part was definitely the first, when he can attack with a flurry and is much bigger. He's much more manageable in the second form when his movement and size are limited. It was pretty easy to just take my time and wait for him to do the move where I could easily slip round the back.

I died more in TLF boss fight, believe it or not.

Took down Vicar Ameilia last night. Took a few attempts and a little bit of level boosting in the end. I tried her a few times and was getting her health right down but then I would get too cocky and button mashing thinking I could power through her only to get taken out. I then tried summoning the helper who is close by, god knows what happened there but instead of just running straight to VA we faffed about and got killed by the big cloaked guys with the poisoning crosses, I figured if this summoned person couldn’t get past them she would be pretty pointless against VA.

Took a break from attempting her and wandered off to the left area and ended up in Hemwick Charnel Lane, explored the area here with nothing being too much trouble and then unexpectedly found myself in the boss area with the Witch. Wasn’t prepared for this and as I had about 40k in Echoes I just got out of there. Did a bit of levelling up and went back to VA and took her down in that attempt.

Got the password but headed back to see the WoH, tried them a couple of times to see how I would get on but was defeated each go. Took a break from them and headed to the Forbidden woods for a quick look, got stupidly killed by an Ogre thing with the huge sword as I was careless.

I have to admit that I was getting a bit bored last night; it was starting to feel a bit repetitive to be honest. Open new area, slowly explore, attempt to kill everything, oh here’s a boss that will destroy you. I know that’s reducing it way down which is probably unfair, getting pretty fed up of dying as well. I suppose I'm the only one to blame for dying so it’s a bit of a strange complaint but it can feel constant and draining at times. Killing VA didn’t give me the buzz that I got from taking down FG before, I'm getting feelings of relief rather than buzzing and being excited to move onto a new area.

I will stick with it though and see what more I find.

Thanks for the tips re. Eileen. I think I'll leave her be for a while...

Played for a bit earlier and managed to take down the three Unseen Village hunters first time by cheesing them through a wall, huzzah!

I'm in another bit with massive skeleton creatures now though. Sigh.

Guys I need some advice, I have just been through

The Lecture Hall, 1st and 2nd floor, beyond that I opened a lamp in the nightmare zone, should I continue or should I go and do the DLC, I want to do the DLC in this run through, not sure what to do?

Thanks

That was easy.

Spoiler

Killed 'The One Reborn' on my first go. The bell maidens were kind of annoying, but as long as I  kept moving their fireballs didn't really touch me. The boss didn't seem to particularly do much. He just sort of laid down and let me any my NPC buddy smack him about. Apart from one AOE attack that immediately ate most of my life bar, I don't think he got a hit in.

Anyway, I've opened up the next area which seems to be full of top hat-wearing slug zombies, but I think I'm going to leave that for a bit as I've still got Cainhurst Castle to explore, Eileen to kill and I found the Upper Cathedral Ward key as well, which I think is at the top of that tower. Any suggestions on where's best to head next?

I haven't seen old Alfred in a while. I hope he's all right.

15 hours ago, Parksey said:

Admittedly, I'm level 118 or so and still on the original new game mode.

The hardest part was definitely the first, when he can attack with a flurry and is much bigger. He's much more manageable in the second form when his movement and size are limited. It was pretty easy to just take my time and wait for him to do the move where I could easily slip round the back.

I died more in TLF boss fight, believe it or not.

It was the total opposite for me. Phase one is pretty much the same as CB, but phase 2 I couldn't cope with at all. I just found him relentlessly aggressive.

Locking onto his body rather than his head helped a lot in my last play through though.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with phase one, as it's similar like you said. Admittedly, as I beat him on my second go, I never got much chance to practice fighting him. I sort of fluked his first phase, by getting in really close on his right side and, thanks to having high damage, I knocked his health down fairly quickly. Think I got lucky by just dodging wildly without really knowing what attacks were coming at me.

Weirdly, his second phase he was pretty much static and just doing his mid-range fire attack. Later on he starts moving a bit more but it's fairly easy to keep your distance, wait for him to stop and attack or circle on around him.

I do wonder why some people think he's the hardest boss in the game. Some on Reddit call him the hardest boss in any Soulsborne game.

Minion, the point of no return is fairly well telegraphed. You should know when you're being instructed to go to the final boss.

I found the DLC pretty hard so opening that up alongside the rest of the game meant I could jump between a variety of areas when one or the other was getting frustrating, particularly when it came to boss fights.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

That was easy.

Hide contents

Killed 'The One Reborn' on my first go. The bell maidens were kind of annoying, but as long as I  kept moving their fireballs didn't really touch me. The boss didn't seem to particularly do much. He just sort of laid down and let me any my NPC buddy smack him about. Apart from one AOE attack that immediately ate most of my life bar, I don't think he got a hit in.

Anyway, I've opened up the next area which seems to be full of top hat-wearing slug zombies, but I think I'm going to leave that for a bit as I've still got Cainhurst Castle to explore, Eileen to kill and I found the Upper Cathedral Ward key as well, which I think is at the top of that tower. Any suggestions on where's best to head next?

I haven't seen old Alfred in a while. I hope he's all right.

Personally I went to Cainhurst and then Upper Cathedral Ward but I'm sure you could either at this point.

2 hours ago, LongHairStu said:

Which boss have you fought most recently, Minion?

This one :)

On 5/17/2016 at 8:35 PM, Minion said:

Fucking hell, I just whooped for joy massively, I have headphones on too so was probably well loud, she is dead, it was stupidly close. My neighbours must hate me for that. Video coming up, my god it was close....

Man I don't remember getting such adrenaline from a game since Wipeout 2097! I'm shaking, I need a cigarette.

Here it is, I'm not sure how I survived, I couldn't get the dodge down at all!

Reveal hidden contents

I think I will enter nightmare zone from Lecture Building Floor 1 next, do that, then do the DLC...

11 hours ago, Parksey said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with phase one, as it's similar like you said. Admittedly, as I beat him on my second go, I never got much chance to practice fighting him. I sort of fluked his first phase, by getting in really close on his right side and, thanks to having high damage, I knocked his health down fairly quickly. Think I got lucky by just dodging wildly without really knowing what attacks were coming at me.

Weirdly, his second phase he was pretty much static and just doing his mid-range fire attack. Later on he starts moving a bit more but it's fairly easy to keep your distance, wait for him to stop and attack or circle on around him.

I do wonder why some people think he's the hardest boss in the game. Some on Reddit call him the hardest boss in any Soulsborne game.

Yeah, he's up there for me with Kalameet for hardest boss in any of the games. Here's my first victory vid. Scraped the win by the skin of my teeth:

Made a slightly tidier job on NG+...

Is it the threaded cane?

Bloodborne's such a weird game to watch. Whenever I watch a boss fight like that, I always sort of see "mistakes" before they happen and have myself seeing when to dodge, party, go in for an attack etc. It's an easy game to orchestrate when you're just watching it on YouTube.

When playing it, I make the same messy, frustrating, avoidable mistakes as most other people. I swear my game seems to be a little bit faster that everyone else's...

Also, after doing some chalice dungeons earlier as a break from the DLC, I'm now level 134, which is probably going to rob the final boss battle in the vanilla game of some of its tension.

I'm sure we all know the feeling. The number of times I've watched a video of someone take down a boss in the most methodical fashion without the slightest error, and thought, "I can do that!", only to fail utterly..

I was a similarly high level at the end of my first playthrough, having done all the DLC and chalices before finishing, and yeah, the last boss did go down pretty quickly, but it's still a fantastically dramatic fight. With LM, possibly my favourite fight in the game, though it caused me lots of grief on a later playthrough at a lower level.

On 5/19/2016 at 5:14 PM, Fitzcarraldo said:

Is that £25 for the game an old offer, then? 

I think so mate, thread title needs updating, I got the GOTY edition from Amazon for £27 but having just checked they are now charging £32!! Gamecrawler says you can get it for £30 from 365 games.

Man I love this game so much, another boss down, stomped me the first time but I realised during that fight where the weak spots were and whilst I didn't do so well in the first minute of the fight I soon started connecting where I needed to too and took the beastie down.

So, now I am thinking go do the DLC? 

Also does anyone have a good guide for Chalice dungeons and how they work, can I only create so many as I notice I have consumable items needed for making them? I kind of want to get stuck in...

Bought DS2 off the strength of this game, not sure if I will enjoy it as much as the art direction here is right up my street, gothic horror. Realised afterwards that DS1 is backwards compatible on XB1 but it seems to be £15 and doesn't run too great from a DF video I watched, what do you guys think, should I wait, get DS1 and play it on the Bone before trying 2?

I went straight to Demon's Souls on PS3 after this, then DaS1, DaS2, back to Bloodborne for the DLC, then DaS3.

I was impressed at the extent to which Demon's Souls felt the same as Bloodborne. Dark Souls 1 had severe frame rate issues on PS3, but still felt broadly like the same thing. Dark Souls 2 is 60fps on PS4, which I personally think gives it a weird "fake" feel, but it does mean it feels quite current. And Dark Souls 3 uses the Bloodborne engine.

Point is, all of them play fine and are great games, so you won't go wrong with any of them. But if you want more Bloodborne, DaS3 is the closest in feel.

Thanks @Davros sock drawer, I've already bought 2 so I might try that and if I don't get on with it will go ahead and buy 3. BB is my favourite game this generation now, along with Driveclub but they're both very different. BB feels like this what video games should be, batshit crazy, obtuse, difficult, full of flight and fancy, incredible art direction, testing but massively rewarding and deep yet also retains a simplicity. I love it.

It's not a guide as such but the wiki will tell you most of what you need to know about the chalices: http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Chalice+Dungeon

Basically you have fixed chalices which have pre-determined layouts, enemy patterns, bosses etc, and you have root chalices, which are randomised. The first of the fixed chalices you get from beating the Blood-starved Beast, so you should have this, the others you get from other late-game bosses (Amy, EDotC), or by progressing through the chalices (usually from beating the final boss of that chalice).

Chalices have depths, up to depth 5, which determine their difficulty.

It's definitely worth doing the fixed chalices, as there are several bosses that only appear in them. Start with the Pthumeru Chalice, which you get from beating BSB, and work your way through.

The root chalices are great for farming items, blood gems etc, but not essential. Once you've generated a particular kind of root chalice you can recreate root versions created by other players using glyphs - you'll find loads of glyphs on the wiki that open up chalices with high level loot.

Minion, I *think* you've got two more "story" boss to do before point of no return. So you can progress a little further, or do the DLC. It's quite obtuse to access it though, and I had to use a guide.

I'm also now staring at life post-Bloodborne and wondering what to do next (in a gaming sense - I'm not walking round my apartment in a daze, crying. Yet).

I've got the PS3 Dark Souls winging its way to me (I love overseas) and I have Demon's Souls from PS Plus. I actually tried the latter in the week or so before Bloodborne launched. I beat the first boss and got up to the second, but then jettisoned it when its bigger brother launched.

Ideally I'd like to get DS2 and 3 as well, though I don't want t suffer burnout.

Anyone got any strong opinions on whether I should do Demon's or Dark Souls next?

8 hours ago, LongHairStu said:

Bloody hell @Minion I just saw your latest batch of boss videos and you're flying now! Kicking plenty of arse, and in double-quick time too! :D

Haha thanks, I'm pretty addicted, I don't want the game to end so went into the standard Pthumeru Chalice last night, probably overlevelled as only died once and took out all bosses within a couple of mins first time. I think I am at layer 3 now of the Central Pthumeru Labyrinth, had to physically stop myself from continuing and go to bed. Did pick up a couple of gems on the way that have further increased my Sword strength so watch out beasties.

I've hit a bit of a wall with this since completing the Unseen Village.

Spoiler

I went to Cainhurst Castle and was doing splendidly until I got to the boss, who killed me within about 20 seconds of trying on my first attempt. On my second go I got him down to about 40 percent health after landing two visceral attacks, but then he got me on a three-slice scythe combo. I was feeling confident at that point and reckoned I'd get him on my next attempt, but I was low on blood vials so decided to clear out the Upper Cathedral Ward instead to pick a few up.

Much to my chagrin, I quickly discovered that this area is a complete and utter pain in the arse. The werewolf pack I can just about handle, but the cunting slug monsters who lock you and then suck half your health away, before proceeding to do the exact same fucking thing again with the rest of your health bar as soon as you stand up, can fuck right off. I can't seem to avoid their magic binding attack in the narrow corridors. I got to a bit where two ganged up on me and took it in turns to eat my head off while I screamed 'NOOOOO, FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFF!' at the telly very loudly. Now they've got 50k+ of my echoes and I've completely run out of blood vials, which is ironic seeing as I visited this area to get them in the first place.

It's at times like this when I wonder why I put myself through these masochistic games and just think about finishing Pikmin 3 instead.