Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Those areas have some of the hardest encounters in the base game IMO, but they're both optional so you can come back to them later. I tend to attempt the CC boss as late in the game as possible because he causes me so much trouble.

For the suckers in UCW I believe you can hammer the triggers and they won't take so much insight...?

The werewolf pack can't get through the door you came through to get into that area so, should you be so inclined, you can pull three of them then stand on the otherside of the door and use weapons like the rifle spear to kill them with impunity. The suckers are weak to piercing weapons as well. 

Edit - or thrust as DSD says (I can't remember the terms for this any more). Spears!

14 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Those areas have some of the hardest encounters in the base game IMO, but they're both optional so you can come back to them later. I tend to attempt the CC boss as late in the game as possible because he causes me so much trouble.

For the suckers in UCW I believe you can hammer the triggers and they won't take so much insight...?

What? I didn't even realise they were taking my insight as well!

Do you play with headphones on @Jamie John? I play with headphones and you can always hear suckers on them before you get sight of them, in these instances I find it best to walk slowly and quietly as possible to try and get the jump on the bastards! If you've run out of vials then best to farm them in an early area such as central Yarnham, also use runes when farming to increase echoes/discovery if you have those runes. But yeah, Upper Cathedral Ward whilst not very big is a hard area, not great for the purpose you went there for!

22 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Dark Souls 2 is 60fps on PS4, which I personally think gives it a weird "fake" feel, but it does mean it feels quite current.

I totally agree with this and it also contributes to putting me off the game. 

I most certainly do not prescribe to the "60 fps or die" mentality of a lot of gamers. It's application specific and the 60 fps of DaS2 kinda ruins the atmosphere. 

I also feel the frame rate stability is so much more important that trying to hit highest frame rate possible. A totally solid and unwavering 30 fps (like in the PS4 version of Destiny) is often the best solution entirely dependant on the type of game. Would be nice in From sorted the Frame Pacing issue, but hey.  

33 minutes ago, Minion said:

Do you play with headphones on @Jamie John? I play with headphones and you can always hear suckers on them before you get sight of them, in these instances I find it best to walk slowly and quietly as possible to try and get the jump on the bastards! If you've run out of vials then best to farm them in an early area such as central Yarnham, also use runes when farming to increase echoes/discovery if you have those runes. But yeah, Upper Cathedral Ward whilst not very big is a hard area, not great for the purpose you went there for!

I use the gold headset, yeah. Didn't stop me from being ganked though! I'll have another go later after I've farmed some more vials.

Oh well, I've already bought DaS2 off Amazon, not arrived yet, still addicted to Bloodborne anyway. Has anyone played Das1 on the bone through Backwards Compatibility? I'm worried about the Framerate, I'm waiting till DaS3 drops in price tbh, and to see if I like DaS2.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I use the gold headset, yeah. Didn't stop me from being ganked though! I'll have another go later after I've farmed some more vials.

Yeah I got ganked when there were 2 of them and lost a load of insight but once you know where they all are in that level and unlock some of the doors you can actually sneak up on the fuckers and backstab/visceral them :) 

Managed to regain my echoes in UCW and then proceeded to the first boss. Put him down on my first go, once I'd figured out what to do. Second boss in the area was a compete cluster fuck, however, and it took me five goes and a large amount of luck before she bit the dust, even with NPC help.

I'm going to head back to CC and try ML again now.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Managed to regain my echoes in UCW and then proceeded to the first boss. Put him down on my first go, once I'd figured out what to do. Second boss in the area was a compete cluster fuck, however, and it took me five goes and a large amount of luck before she bit the dust, even with NPC help.

I'm going to head back to CC and try ML again now.

Yeah that 2nd boss was bloody hard, well done dude! You not taking any videos? Since I learned how I've been getting one of every boss battle, I actually really enjoy watching them back, I can learn from my mistakes and relive those tense moments. I've got all the old regulars in the thread to thank for educating me on the benefit of videos and @LongHairStu in particular :)

Well, there are traps and sneaky enemy placements in all the games really, but otherwise the Chalice Dungeons are very much unique in the Souls/Bloodborne games. There are some aesthetic similarities in Dark Souls 3's Demon's Ruins, but that still feels "designed". The Chalice Dungeons are more like randomly generated kits, even the one's that aren't randomly generated, if that makes sense.

They seem to be quite unpopular with the so-called community, but I think this is a question of perspective. Compared to the main game, the level design could be called "lazy" but I actually think their very inclusion represents great generosity. Clearly the devs had enemies and bosses to spare, and they could have easily held them over for a sequel. Instead they gave us these in a set of 100% optional bonus levels.

Taken in that context, as an entirely optional B game challenge I had a blast with them. I played them in a very different way to the main game - in bite sized pieces, perhaps with a podcast on or something. But they also contain some of the most challenging (and unique) bosses in the game, so it's not just a case of sitting back and letting the levels complete themselves. In fact the harder dungeons and bosses are some of the most bolt-upright, teeth-gritting, edge-of-your-seat parts of the entire game.

Surprised they are unpopular, I've really enjoyed my trawl through the Pthumerian Chalice, it's extending my playthrough and given me some better blood gem upgrades and like you said I've encountered bosses I haven't seen before. I really like them! I could be quite happy continuing to play through more rather than progress with the main game as I don't want it to end. It is a bit annoying when you fight through some really difficult bonus room area and the reward is 3 Tomb Mould rather than something cool like a weapon or armour piece though. I'm on layer 4 of the Lower Pthumerian Labyrinth now after defeating Rom, wondering what's next! 

Come back when you get to Amygdala with only half your health. 

It was getting a bit tedious by the time I got to the end of CD's. The Isz dungeons offer up some interesting changes in environment but generally it's all about just getting to the bosses and most of the are still really great. I had a lot more fun helping out others at the short ritual root dungeon after I was done. There's a chance of a blood rock for the higher level bosses and I ended up with 6 of them. 

6 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Come back when you get to Amygdala with only half your health. 

It was getting a bit tedious by the time I got to the end of CD's. The Isz dungeons offer up some interesting changes in environment but generally it's all about just getting to the bosses and most of the are still really great. I had a lot more fun helping out others at the short ritual root dungeon after I was done. There's a chance of a blood rock for the higher level bosses and I ended up with 6 of them. 

There's usually a lamp right near the boss area after you've unlocked the gate though right? At least there has been for the one I have been doing. Short ritual chalice? I need to look this up, I want blood rocks!

I went through the standard chalice dungeon progression when picking up other trophies so I may have missed some optional encounters, but there were some moments that were hugely satisfying (Defiled WoToL, Defiled A, PD), and the oppressive, isolated feel gives it a Knightmare or King's Field vibe. That said, the dungeons probably have some of the most uninspiring visual design in the game (with some exceptions) and gameplay can feel much more of a slog compared to the story, especially when farming for materials.

Approach him the same way you did Amy and EDotC - try and bait his attacks while keeping reasonably close so you can get at his head when he lowers it. Keep whacking him on the head and eventually you'll stagger him.

His legs are also a weak point - you can't stagger him for a visceral by attacking his legs but you can cause him to buckle giving you an opening for a few attacks. I think going for his head is probably the safer option, though.

He's really tough, but you'll get him.

On the chalices, I really like them, but then I also enjoy a lot of roguelikes and dungeon crawlers so the aspects of their design that turn many people away already appeal to me. They can be relaxing in an odd sort of way, though at the same time some of the most tense moments I've had with the game have been working through the lower depth root chalices where the enemy combinations can make for some really scary encounters. Fights with the tougher hunters you find in the chalices can feel like mini-boss battles:

I think I've posted it before, but I loved this battle I had with a Cairnhurst hunter and keeper in one of those giant arenas you find in the Loran chalices. It feels like a dramatic set piece battle, but it was totally random. On the other hand, when you're clearing room after room of rats the chalices can quickly become a chore.

In a way it's a shame that some really great bosses are hidden away in the lower chalices, where a lot of players will miss them. I'm surprised that they didn't squeeze YPQ into the main game as a boss.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyRyall said:

On the chalices, I really like them, but then I also enjoy a lot of roguelikes and dungeon crawlers so the aspects of their design that turn many people away already appeal to me. They can be relaxing in an odd sort of way, though at the same time some of the most tense moments I've had with the game have been working through the lower depth root chalices where the enemy combinations can make for some really scary encounters. Fights with the tougher hunters you find in the chalices can feel like mini-boss battles:

I think I've posted it before, but I loved this battle I had with a Cairnhurst hunter in one of those giant arenas you find in the Loran chalices. It feels like a dramatic set piece battle, but it was totally random. On the other hand, when you're clearing room after room of rats the chalices can quickly become a chore.

In a way it's a shame that some really great bosses are hidden away in the lower chalices, where a lot of players will miss them. I'm surprised that they didn't squeeze YPQ into the main game as a boss.

Nice fight! What is that weapon you are using in the beginning, is it blade of mercy?

I'm ploughing through the chalice dungeons too. They're okay, in the sense that are more Bloodborne and have unique bosses, but they can be a bit of a slog. This is largely due to their uninspiring design. Whereas in the main game I wouldn't ever play it with music on or the radio playing or whatever (to soak up the atmosphere), here I tend to do them whilst doing something else. I largely just want to get to the boss arena.

It's a shame that visually they couldn't have come up with something more interesting, though I guess it fits with the lore. They are definitely a worthy inclusion though, as they offer a different challenge.

I'm on the second layer boss of the Defiled Chalice and going to try and smite it when I get home tonight. After that, I think there are only two left between me and the "final" boss. Not sure I even need to do the Isz one, though might for completion's sake.

I'm massively over leveled as I keep saying, but the dungeons still manage to provide a challenge, especially when at half bloody health.

My internet was down last night but I managed another couple of bosses in the Depth 3 Fetid Pthumerian Root Chalice.

Also got one against Undead Giant to come later, he was ridiculously nails, consistently killing me in 1 or 2 blows. I got him in the end though :)