Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Typing is difficult! And no, I wasn't aware that the whip mode did bonus damage to beasts. Molotov to the face seems pretty effective, though ;)

Anything serrated has that bonus, so the Saw Cleaver in both modes, further cementing its position as the best starting weapon. It's science.

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

Well, I did play again this evening, and finally took on and defeated Father Gascoigne.

Not quite a victory on first attempt - there are a good four other attempts on his life, plus a lot of wandering around Central Yarnham practicing combat with the cane and doing my best to inspect every nook and cranny - hidden between that first clip and the second.

In the end, it took me just over an hour from first encountering Father Gascoigne (at 21:30) to defeating him (at 22:40), so perhaps not the greatest showing.

Felt good, though.

With that done I wandered to the next area, met the weird dude in the chapel, headed back to Central Yarnham and sent the old lady to the chapel (sending people to chill with a creepy monster-like dude can't possibly end badly, right?), and stole the little girl's mother's pendant for my own, weapon-improving purposes. Well, it's not as if she needs it any more... :unsure: 

Haven't explored the new area beyond that, so I've no idea what monsters there lurk. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Awesome work. After FG is the point where I really fell in love with the game, as your options for exploration really open up.

Just curious - did you work out the Music Box yourself?

Nope - I'd tried it a few times outside the fight to no effect, and wouldn't have had the balls to off-chance its lengthy lead up time against him but for the fact that someone at work, on me mentioning that I was going to try and beat Father Gascoigne that evening, piped up with "You should use the music box". Said person has a tendency of spoiling films/games with random spurts of info, but I thought I was safe with Bloodborne as they've never played it.

Alas.

They also tried to tell me things about umbilical cords and the consequences of sending people to the chapel, but I concentrated very hard on not listening.

Yeah, had I asked for advice I wouldn't have minded, but considering that much of the appeal of the Souls games comes from discovering things (both in terms of how to overcome challenges and what the fuck is going on), having unsolicited tips and trivia wasn't really ideal. I did toy with not using it, but that felt like artificial hobbling seeing as I knew its purpose.

As I say, they have previous, which makes it more aggrieving: past highlights have included them going on in detail about various 'great moments' in Fury Road days before I was due to see it, and monologuing the flaws they'd seen in various scenes - including the ending - of the most recent Star Trek movie, while sat next to someone who had minutes before mentioned that they were planning to go and see the movie the following weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this need spoiler but will anyway. Need some advice

Spoiler

I am just before the last old hunter boss and want to kill the 2 shark creatures to get the lady maria weapon. I just keep getting killed by the first one he has so much health. any advice, i am also dreading the orphan of kos 

I won't use spoiler tags as I think my response is vague enough with regards to enemy and area detail that those who haven't experience it won't know what is being discussed. There are two effective ways of beating that scenario (though both are high risk/high reward style, like most of the game :P):

They're actually parryable! I don't think the regular kinds are but those ones are. Most of their attacks have a long windup so you can try and goad them into moves and pick your shots. The second method is really only viable once both are active, and is a bastard to nail down. Shaman Bone Blade one of them and let them tear each other to shreds, then swoop in to steal the glory. It's actually the second one that drops what you're looking for, so you don't necessarily have to beat both. Once the second gets active (unfortunately you can't trigger it early, I tried shooting from a distance to no avail) and if it falls first, run and claim your prize then get the hell out of dodge!

If you go all the way around to the boss fight that you allude to, then there is the higher ledge where provided you have a high enough stock of Quicksilver bullets and throwable items you could potentially chip the first one to a low hp before getting your hands dirty.

13 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

If you go all the way around to the boss fight that you allude to, then there is the higher ledge where provided you have a high enough stock of Quicksilver bullets and throwable items you could potentially chip the first one to a low hp before getting your hands dirty.

It's been a long time (so I can't remember weapon names) but I killed both from this ledge using the spear you get from the sewers near the start of the game. 

8 hours ago, Coolcongo said:

Hide contents

I am just before the last old hunter boss and want to kill the 2 shark creatures to get the lady maria weapon. I just keep getting killed by the first one he has so much health. any advice, i am also dreading the orphan of kos 

I love that bit it's hilarious when you almost beat one and he slopes off only to come steaming back in with a big grin with a mate in tow. In short I ended up parrying the first one as much as I could and then getting the shamen bone on one of them - warning, the shamen bone does not stop him attacking you all it does is make his friends attack him. I did not realise this and died the first time I tried it (after dying about 15 times in regular combat to those dudes). It is a really hard bit of the game so good luck.

I've just started playing this as I basically bought a PS4 for it. I hope there are still people online seeing as I'm late to the party... With any luck I might be finished before the Dark Souls III DLC and then I can finally hang up my Souls hat. Well, though admittedly I never got past the first area in Demons' Souls so technically I still have more...

On 8/31/2016 at 22:36, Coolcongo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Get on the ledge above (I think it's one of the tunnels off the route to the boss) and range them down?

I forget how I did it - I think before you drop you can bait them forward with projectiles and there's a spot where their attack animations will kind of clip them through the floor so you can cheese them with overheads - this doesn't keep you free from all attacks but you'll always have a safe spot to back away to.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

I've just started playing this as I basically bought a PS4 for it. I hope there are still people online seeing as I'm late to the party... With any luck I might be finished before the Dark Souls III DLC and then I can finally hang up my Souls hat. Well, though admittedly I never got past the first area in Demons' Souls so technically I still have more...

I haven't played in a couple of months as I am addicted to DS3 but if you need someone to party up with then just drop me a line, I'd be happy to come and assist :)

Well so far I'm doing quite well I think, beat Cleric Beast first try!* The next boss took a few goes though. I miss my shield... Though to be fair, the need to dodge a lot in DS III is clearly something that must have been inspired from this game, so my experience with that has stood me in good stead.

Spoiler

tumblr_n1ap4bHySG1qirsuqo7_r1_500.gif

From what I have played so far (which is at least 10 hours I think) it is looking to be the same level of quality as DS3. I'm not sure how it compares to the original Dark Souls yet, but the initial grab factor of that game might be more down to it getting there first for a lot of people. This feels quite different to play however, and I'd say difficulty wise it's about on par with DS3.

I'd say some of the bosses in BB can be harder than the bosses in DS3 but it is on a par, however BB was my first soulsborne game so it could have been just me, going to DS3 after BB I was probably experienced enough to deal with the bosses in DS3.

I thought Bloodborne was much better than Dark Souls III. To a certain extent I think it comes down to how you play it, because BB is much more limited in terms of the types of build you can have and the different ways you can play the game, but I much preferred the world, the lore, the level design and the combat in Bloodborne.

It does a lot of what Dark Souls did better that the sequels, too. It puts you in genuinely scary situations where the only option is to confront it. I don't think I got that feeling in DaS2 or 3 aside from a few select sections. 

It's definitely the best game this generation.

• 2 weeks later...