IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

41 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

If memory serves - you can stun him twice with the music box, use it a third time and he'll transform.

Aye. Not super useful as you can just parry him (really need a better word for that!). I definitely prefer to leave him in human form - actually died to him once this time as it's really hard to time the dodge when he does the super high leap.

I think I'm going to look into the NPC questlines now, as I've found absolutely dick of them so far. As usual they remain stoicly arcane and opaque. In Dark Souls games you can normally find a few covenants by exploration, but in this I only found the one super unhidden one.

2 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Is there any point to the music box beyond making Gazza transform early?

I find the best time to use it is after he transforms (and not before, at all), because he gets all confused for a good few seconds, giving you time to land a double charged R2 > visceral. 

Just be careful he doesn't back into a wall when you use the music box (as happens to me pretty much every time :facepalm: )

I had some good adventures last night, I'm going really slowly through as I've basically forgotten everything.  I'm even talking to the characters and watching all the cutscenes!!  I bested Gascoigne on my first attempt (after three close losses previously) - wish I'd grabbed the clip, it was a great fight, first two stages went pretty quick, and we had a long old battle in final form, it was intense, but controlled :) my heart though! 

Anyway, cleared Old Yarnham nice and slowly, summoned Alfred at the end to try my luck on BSB while carrying 16k echoes..  Alfred dies with BSB at 40% health - ffs!  I had a pretty tense Benny Hill moment trying to get to a decent distance to manage to successfully Hunter Mark out of there!! 

Decided to next buy the emblem (never done it before!) and go the front way in to the Cathedral Ward, which was a nice slow ramble through until the area was completely devoid of enemies.  The Kirkhammer is monstrous, I particularly love the (sword mode) R1 > L1 > R1 > R1 combo, brutal.  I love catching tall enemies in the head with un-locked-on overhead swings, reminds me of Monster Hunter. :wub:  And the (hammer) L1 > immediate R1 does a slightly different sword attack, which looks awesome.  The animation details are so good!  

Anyway, cleared Cathedral Ward right out (aside from the second of those two hunters to the right of the Church, he's a total prick! hate his dodging :D) and then summoned Henriett to aid me with Amelia (since I've not seen Henriett before!) - best bit was she basically looked exactly like my character; same hat, same hair, both female, same coat, and same weapon! :lol: We made steady work of Amelia, again I was carrying a ton of souls to increase my fear rating :blush:

After that I'd reached the point where I could do thing I've planned since the beginning - get the whirligig!  I've literally never even equipped it, what a knob.  But man, running through the Hunter's Nightmare is bloody difficult at level 20-something!!  I've almost made it to the point where I can open the first shortcut, which will help, but two minor scratches kills me.  It's tough getting passed that bridge with the rifle guys!!  Had a handful of goes then put it down for the night.  It'll be mine, soon enough! 

THIS GAME. I'm so back into it. 

(separately, swimming in upgrade stones! well, the very low level ones, at least! might have to try out the boomhammer properly, and the beast cutter!)

So I had a quick hour or so last night, a bit more productive than last time!

First I continued my run for the whirligig.. Made it to the shortcut on my first go, and made it to the weapon itself on the next life, after a mishap involving scenery and enemy explosives.  Before I hunter marked out, I did a cheeky run to see of I could grab the Saif, which I managed somehow, despite that ladder literally being surrounded by crows and an npc hunter! :lol:

I did debate making a few more runs to grab the Arm and the Boomhammer but decided I wanted to have some fun clearing a stage since time was short.  I had enough stones to bring my new weapons both to +4, and a few spares to bring my Hunter's Torch to +3 (it's a handy tool, man!).   I later also regrettably returned to the pistol from the shotgun, I've been finding the parries really unintuitive.. :(

So off I went to Hemwick. These new weapons are great!  I think overall I ended up using the Saif more (mainly because it's fast once you get going) but I was switching it up quite a lot and got to grips with those movesets.  Died once on my way through, by a getting cocky against one of the ogre dudes.  Sigh.  But I redeemed myself on the next try and comfortably walked it.  

I'm actually using the consumables a lot more this time, molotovs are so handy.  Ditto poison knives.  They can really help even the odds in tricky scenarios.   For eg my favourite moment in Hemwick was, from the cliff overlooking the executioners, using a pungent blood cocktail to lure the dogs close to the end, into the path of my whirligig drop attack..  *yelp*

I tell you what though.  I fucking died against the Witches! :lol: got cocky carrying 18k and while going a bit mad with the Whirly chainsaw I got smashed by the witches aoe twice in a row.  I didn't know she could do that!! 

After that it was almost time to turn in, but I thought.. Just one more 'task'.. BSB!   I only had a single fire paper (can't remember how I unlock them in the shop..) so needed to make it count.. 

Literally the best game ever, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Cooor, that whirligig. Never delved into the expansion after my first run through, but looking at this I guess you can get the DLC weapons very early on?

You can get them after you've defeated the vicar if you're willing to run through some scary shit. That said, it's just the boring ones, the two really good ones require you to defeat DLC bosses, which you'll want to be a higher level for unless you're a beast.

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

You can get them after you've defeated the vicar if you're willing to run through some scary shit. That said, it's just the boring ones, the two really good ones require you to defeat DLC bosses, which you'll want to be a higher level for unless you're a beast.

'Boring' PFFT. 

The whirligig is cool, but the beast cutter is pretty boring. The saif is ok but it's moveset is too similar to the saws. I like the boom hammer but its transformation is a shitty buff. MLG and Rakuyo are both absolutely amazing weapons, and the bloodletter and parasite are properly weird. I think it's well balanced with cool stuff to find but better stuff behind the bosses. Especially the Rakuyo. Jesus that thing is amazing.

The saif is underrated, though I can see why. It's standard attacks are a bit dull, but the transform attack is amazing. It doubles as a backstep, and lets you jump in and out of combat while attacking at the same time. I can't remember for sure, but I think it even has i frames on it. It's great.

Moreover, no one uses it, making it really good in pvp.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

The whirligig is cool, but the beast cutter is pretty boring. The saif is ok but it's moveset is too similar to the saws. I like the boom hammer but its transformation is a shitty buff. MLG and Rakuyo are both absolutely amazing weapons, and the bloodletter and parasite are properly weird. I think it's well balanced with cool stuff to find but better stuff behind the bosses. Especially the Rakuyo. Jesus that thing is amazing.

The arm is one of the best weapons and you can get the bow blade before Ludwig too.

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

Still finding the BSB really easy. The sticking point this time is Amelia - I can be laying into her hard and she just heals back up to near full again, with apparently no way to stop her. The actual fight is pretty easy apart from that.

Oil urns + fire paper, or a flame weapon.

If you run over to her, she just transforms so you can't attack her in human form.

Try baiting out the jump attack, there's space for a charge afterwards. That's how I ended up doing most of my NG+6 version, it was the only way I could get through it.

Bonus shitty witches NG+6 fight:

Spoiler

I was quite pleased to see that Pungent Blood Cocktails kinda worked on Paarl :D  He went down so easy, I felt sorry for him. 

I'm gutted though, Eileen died while we teamed up... I caught her with two full charged R2s, then the other guy finished her off, whoops :(

41 minutes ago, dood said:

I was quite pleased to see that Pungent Blood Cocktails kinda worked on Paarl :D  He went down so easy, I felt sorry for him. 

I'm gutted though, Eileen died while we teamed up... I caught her with two full charged R2s, then the other guy finished her off, whoops :(

Sounds more like you murdered here.

I killed her in my playthrough by standing near here - and then putting the controller down to get a drink...depressing shoulder button and causing a powerful attack. Whoopsie.

I helped her in one of my playthroughs then in another I accidentally ignored her and made her hostile on the next cathedral visit :( 

Probably one of my favourite hunter NPCs though. Well, behind Valtr. Oh, and there's Alfred too. And...

Man, the run up to the Logarius fight is the most vexing so far by quite some distance. At least it's not like Frigid Outskirts or anything though - From have toned things down considerably since then.

On the plus side, I now have Baroness Stabby kitted out in a lovely red dress and wolfpelt hat combo, which looks fabulous with either the Banhammer or Greatsword Of Smashination resting insouciantly against her shoulder. I should get a screengrab.