rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

13 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

No. I think Rom has pillars in her arena in the chalice dungeon? 

Ah yeah, that's what I was thinking of, it has been a few years.

20 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Not necessarily. 

Reveal hidden contents

You could just level up a bit, and also use molotov cocktails on the bastard. Being half a beast already means he's vulnerable to fire.

I rang a bell and some dude rocked up and between us he was down and out in about 30 seconds.   Easiest boss in the game. :lol:.  

I assume there is some sort of penalty for getting people to help you out like that?

Only a nagging sense of self-loathing.

(Summoning in this game is the best; being summoned is even better. Go back and help some other poor souls for a while)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Parappa said:

I rang a bell and some dude rocked up and between us he was down and out in about 30 seconds.   Easiest boss in the game. :lol:.  

I assume there is some sort of penalty for getting people to help you out like that?

It costs 1 insight for a summon, but you can also earn insight by being summoned and helping your host kill a boss so it goes both ways. Also the bosses get a health boost / damage resist boost but it's negligible as they generally only focus on one player at a time so you are still at a big advantage.

• Upvote 2

Now up to 

Spoiler

Blood-Starved Beast

and some guy helps me out (are these Old Hunters?) - anyway he wasn't much cop and died half way through the fight but maybe I was standing off a bit and not helping enough.  I needed a break as I keep dreaming about this game now but I am looking forward to attempting it again tonight.  And dying. 

Also how levelled up do you have to be to get rid of that

Spoiler

twat on the roof with a sodding machine gun!!

• Empathy 1

22 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Not at all levelled.

Reveal hidden contents

Why do you even want to get rid of him? Why not try and make friends?

Because as soon as I got to the top of the ladder he wanted to blow my head off?  Hmmm you have me thinking now.

17 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Because as soon as I got to the top of the ladder he wanted to blow my head off?  Hmmm you have me thinking now.

I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it if I were you. While it is possible to befriend him, it's not possible for you, now, in this playthrough. You have to do something which you evidently haven't done, and now you've lost the chance until you begin a new playthrough.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though; I always kill him. He's hard as fucking nails though, if you just take him on in a straight fight.

39 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Ah, I hadn't realised you'd already gone toe to toe with him.

Have you found the Rifle Spear? I love that weapon, I used it for most of my first playthrough. I seem to remember poking him off the roof with it...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Blood-Starved Beast

Also how levelled up do you have to be to get rid of that

Reveal hidden contents

twat on the roof with a sodding machine gun!!

If only you could talk to the hunters.

But yeah, I just pushed him off the roof.

• Upvote 2

Took me a while, but yesterday I finally got the key to the upper cathedral ward. And totally worth it too! Leave it to From to actually keep one of the best levels in the game hidden. Beaten the two bosses there in less than an hour as well. 

Frankly, when you get used to them, From Software games are a lot more forgiving than one would think. Most of the times it's a matter of snuffing out the right weapons and elementals for an enemy. That and a bit of dodging and parrying.

But I have to confess I had some help during my fights against father Gascoigne, Amygdala and the One Reborn. So not that gud then :p

On to castle Cainhurst.

• Upvote 5

Just started again myself. First time in a few years. Amazed to beat Cleric Beast and Father G first time. It seems a little less punishing than I remember, in terms of being able to survive mistakes and find opportunities to heal. Or maybe I'm just playing it in a slightly different way to before - been trying to get stuck in and use the regain function more.

• Upvote 1

Carried on with this over the last week and I've been loving it. I'd forgotten how good the level design is in the first half of the game. As good as anything From's done.

But now I've hit the second part of the Forbidden Forest and that's where it all starts to go a bit wrong. From what I remember, other than a couple of optional areas, it's just never as good from here.

14 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

But now I've hit the second part of the Forbidden Forest and that's where it all starts to go a bit wrong. From what I remember, other than a couple of optional areas, it's just never as good from here.

Yeah pretty much. And the less said about the chalice dungeons, the better. They're clearly there for people who can't get enough of Bloodborne, but I think they're samey and have some brutal difficulty spikes. I was waltzing through most of it til I stumbled upon that undead giant. Not sure if I'll persist with that one, although I just got hold of the fire equivalent of the tonitrus, so I'll probably give it a few more goes.

But for the gameplay, art and lore alone the 10 was still absolutely deserved.

I cleared them because it was ‘more’ but they are no doubt the weakest bit of this STRAIGHT BANGER.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Carried on with this over the last week and I've been loving it. I'd forgotten how good the level design is in the first half of the game. As good as anything From's done.

If you're including the DLC in that I'd say you're wrong.

• Upvote 2

... and then you get your ass handed to you time and again in the hunter's nightmare :(

But yeah, From Software's DLC is rarely a walk in the park.

On 08/02/2020 at 16:05, BadgerFarmer said:

I'd disagree with this.

Even if you exclude the optional areas (which make up far more content than the remaining story only areas and contain some proper brilliance) the significant changes to the game world post Byrgenwryth make the final quarter or so of the game pretty epic.

• Upvote 2

I’ve done so many chalice dungeons. Probably hundreds. So I feel well qualified to say that they are indeed samey and boring. 

On 08/02/2020 at 21:29, GamesGamesGames said:

If you're including the DLC in that I'd say you're wrong.

Even without the DLC he's wrong. 

Y'Hargul, Unseen Village with all the Amygdalas on the buildings, and the blood moon casting everything in that orange glow, is one of the highlights of the game for me.

9gw9lE7.png.c864a0b3c7629f11dd137599c5b50518.png

I especially love the people fused into the walls:

Bloodbornetrade_20150506152719_zpsdelcxdgj.JPG.bf364010b83ea352441f03e53e61bc97.JPG

Plus the enemies get increasingly unsettling:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YYIvdyw

Shame the boss is such a pushover. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Even without the DLC he's wrong. 

Y'Hargul, Unseen Village with all the Amygdalas on the buildings, and the blood moon casting everything in that orange glow, is one of the highlights of the game for me.

9gw9lE7.png.c864a0b3c7629f11dd137599c5b50518.png

I especially love the people fused into the walls:

Bloodbornetrade_20150506152719_zpsdelcxdgj.JPG.bf364010b83ea352441f03e53e61bc97.JPG

Plus the enemies get increasingly unsettling:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YYIvdyw

Shame the boss is such a pushover. 

Fair, though I count Yahar'gul as first half of the game due to seeing it early on first playthrough. Guess it does belong in second half though.

I just don't think there's much to match the level design of the opening area and the Cathedral Ward. I'm at the point now where it's either Hemwick Charnell Lane or the Forbidden Woods and neither are interesting enough to push through again. Some of the later bits are better than that, for sure, but still not up to the standard of the first part. And some other later bits - the nightmare sections and that prick Micolash - aren't much fun at all. I wouldn't mind doing the DLC again though. 

57 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I just don't think there's much to match the level design of the opening area and the Cathedral Ward. I'm at the point now where it's either Hemwick Charnell Lane or the Forbidden Woods and neither are interesting enough to push through again. Some of the later bits are better than that, for sure, but still not up to the standard of the first part. And some other later bits - the nightmare sections and that prick Micolash - aren't much fun at all. I wouldn't mind doing the DLC again though. 

See, I just hugely disagree. Hemwick Charnel Lane is amazing, and of course that's also how you get to Castle Cainhurst (optional, but let's face it, everyone does it because it's huge and brilliant). 

Forbidden Woods is an amazing descent into Snakesville, with some of the most memorable encounters in the game (particularly the 'Suspicious Beggar'), plus the most mind-blowing shortcut in all of From's games.

Micolash is a weak boss, sure, but Nightmare of Mensis is great. Nightmare Frontier gets a bad rap, but I like it!

Opinions and all that, but unlike Dark Souls, which many, many people think has a weaker second half, I just don't think that there is anything like that sort of consensus for that being the case in Bloodborne.

• Upvote 4

I rage quit CoD last night and put this on to find my character stuck outside Rom's fight. Been there for months. Killed Rom first attempt  though without summoning a human (no insight) or the NPC, first time I've ever done that. Must but all that pent up CoD angst. Going to press on as I can hardly remember the game after this point and will aim to get a different ending - this will be my third playthrough. Only bit I dread is Prickolash and that fucking baby crying.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Opinions and all that, but unlike Dark Souls, which many, many people think has a weaker second half, I just don't think that there is anything like that sort of consensus for that being the case in Bloodborne.

I always thought Dark Souls got a bad rap for it's later stages. I mean, they aren't as good as the first half, but still mostly excellent (Demon Ruins/Izalith being the exception).

I think it is a thing to varying degrees with all of these From games though. I think sometimes it's just that something which seems fresh at the start of the game feels routine later. Relying on the gate that opens from the other side trick too many times, for example.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. Got it instantly with a bell summon.

But another boss straight after?? FFS  :(

And I don't mind the fight in itself but it's the endless vial farming you have to go through each and every effin time that really sours my mood.

• Upvote 1