rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

34 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Makes it much, much easier

There's your problem.

I tried summoning once on my second run through as I just wasn't in the mood for Amelia but it trivialised the fight to the point of it being almost completely without challenge and certainty missing out on the heart racing terror of always being so close to death that I normally endure. I just prefer the struggle and the resultant reward when said struggle is overcome. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeah. Got it instantly with a bell summon.

But another boss straight after?? FFS  :(

And I don't mind the fight in itself but it's the endless vial farming you have to go through each and every effin time that really sours my mood.

You're approaching the

Spoiler

greatest transition in all of videogaming.

Stunning.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I'm amazed that people even try the bosses without beckoning another player. Makes it much, much easier and in my opinion much more fun.

Yeah certainly first time round I am starting to think this although I assume they scale up on NG+? (assuming there is one?!).

Can anyone tell me what the Chalice's are for - I see you can use them at the grave stones but I have no idea what they do and there seems to be no explanation of what they are.

Good for farming upgrade materials.

Also good if you are a masochist with no life. Saying that, I enjoyed the first couple of layers but they do get very samey

• Upvote 1

The Chalice Dungeons are a great idea on paper, but Souls games are all about intricate environments you get lost in! Not one-room-after-another repetition. It shows that beautifully refined combat will only take you so far.

That being said, when i finally cleared the Chalices (maybe a year or two later), i did kinda enjoy them, because they're very straightforward (no wondering "where was i?"). But a lot of that enjoyment was due to the DLC adding so many other build options, which is why i play these games.

So yeah. Don't rush to clear 'em thinking you're missing out. Finish the game. Complete the DLC. Take a break. Then come back...whenever. It worked out well for me.  :)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I'm amazed that people even try the bosses without beckoning another player. Makes it much, much easier and in my opinion much more fun.

Too broke for PS+ so I played the whole thing, plus the DLC, offline. I found it a lot easier than Dark Souls because it's more streamlined. There are fewer stats, grinding for blood echoes doesn't take that long, and there's loads of extra buffs and upgrades (papers, gems, runes, blood stones) to make life a lot easier. I did the DLC on NG+ and it wasn't even that bad apart from Laurence's second form. I figure I must've been levelled up pretty high.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Curtis said:

So yeah. Don't rush to clear 'em thinking you're missing out. Finish the game. Complete the DLC. Take a break. Then come back...whenever. It worked out well for me.  

Wait. Am I supposed to finish the main game first before starting the DLC? 

6 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Wait. Am I supposed to finish the main game first before starting the DLC? 

No. What level are you now?.

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Level 102.

You’re ready. Obvs you’re not ACTUALLY ready but your level is fine for it, I think.

If you need a summon, shout up in here. Always happy to get back in.

33 minutes ago, DC said:

You’re ready. Obvs you’re not ACTUALLY ready but your level is fine for it, I think.

Oh - can you actually summon people you know to help you out?!

Just now, Parappa said:

Oh - can you actually summon people you know to help you out?!

Yes with a password under Network settings.

1 hour ago, DC said:

You seem to suggest

Maria's hunter form isn't her final form? freeza.gif

45 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

You seem to suggest

Hide contents

Maria's hunter form isn't her final form? freeza.gif

No, sorry I didn’t realise you were there. Thought you hadn’t started the DLC at all. You can’t go back there after completing the main game.

1 hour ago, DC said:

Yes with a password under Network settings.

No frikin way - cheers!

22 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Chalice dungeons. Marmite for many but I love them.

They were good for when everything else has been cleaned up but you wanted more. I think I got a bit of mileage from them whilst waiting for The Old Hunters...

18 hours ago, Curtis said:

The Chalice Dungeons are a great idea on paper, but Souls games are all about intricate environments you get lost in!

Maybe, but I think it'd be interesting to see a whole game with semi-randomised environments as its foundation, if only to find out if they could pull it off!

(It doesn't even have to exist within the SoulsbornekiroRing family, as long as the spirit of challenge and discovery is still there...)

I just don't think we're even close to being in a place where a procedural environment can even come close to something that several designers have spent months/years putting together and reiterating and tweaking.

• Upvote 1

On 12/02/2020 at 14:23, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeah. Got it instantly with a bell summon.

But another boss straight after?? FFS  :(

And I don't mind the fight in itself but it's the endless vial farming you have to go through each and every effin time that really sours my mood.

Seems like it's probably a bit late to say it given where you are in the game, but the trick is to always put spare blood echoes into purchasing vials (and bullets) after you've bought whatever weapon or other item you want. You'll soon build up those echoes again, and you'll quickly find you're ahead of the curve on vials.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Vials and bullets are still the biggest mistake the game made. 

That, and having to return to the hub to level up. 

6 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

That, and having to return to the hub to level up. 

I don't mind this. Is it not the same with bonfires in Souls games? 

12 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I don't mind this. Is it not the same with bonfires in Souls games? 

In Dark Souls, levelling up is done at bonfires, no loading a hub then warping back out. You just cash in your souls and move on. In Dark Souls 3 you have to return to the hub to level up. Not sure why they changed it, maybe it's for technical reasons.

Now I want to play Dark Souls again. I just thought about being sat at that damp, claustrophobic bonfire in the Depths and need to get back down there.

• Upvote 2

I suppose this has been mentioned before, but for people who love all things Miyazaki, they should check out the anime Angel's Egg from 1985. This was apparently a big source of inspiration for Miyazaki - alongside other stuff like the Berserk series and H.P. Lovecraft lore - and is more or less directly mentioned through the character of Filianore in DS III.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

In Dark Souls 3 you have to return to the hub to level up. Not sure why they changed it, maybe it's for technical reasons.

No I believe it's more that the Firekeeper is integral to the story and you need to talk to her

And indeed one of the endings is dependent on certain interactions with the Firekeeper