Bloodborne - GOTD edition

I had the sword guy to myself, didn’t really get much of a look at the others but was aware there were fireballs flying around. Towards the end giant snakes started erupting from the ground, which I assumed happened because we had killed a couple of them off but that didn’t happen in your example.

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

I go fireball, sword then candler. Definitely fireballs first though, that guy is a dick. 

I can’t believe it’s been three years since I was playing NG+6 and grinding away at this. I miss it so much but there’s just nothing left to do :( 

Excellent. Have you done an Arcane build? I had so much fun with that.

4 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I had the sword guy to myself, didn’t really get much of a look at the others but was aware there were fireballs flying around. Towards the end giant snakes started erupting from the ground, which I assumed happened because we had killed a couple of them off but that didn’t happen in your example.

It does here.

On 02/01/2021 at 01:48, squirtle said:

Also, run past the Hunter on the bridge. Head down the stairs and look for the passage on the right. There's a lift which will take you down to a lantern. Don't give up! 

I have to admit Squirtle - your advice here got my interested again, so I had another crack - found the way to the lift and managed a few proper attempts at taking down the hunter, this time with success!  I don't want to EVER see that part of the game again.

I've banked my blood echoes and can see there's another lift to take, but parked it because my controller ran out of power.  Deep breath. 

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

I have to admit Squirtle - your advice here got my interested again, so I had another crack - found the way to the lift and managed a few proper attempts at taking down the hunter, this time with success!  I don't want to EVER see that part of the game again.

I've banked my blood echoes and can see there's another lift to take, but parked it because my controller ran out of power.  Deep breath. 

Excellent. You are really close to the end... 

I don’t think I could have done it without your help and encouragement, Squirtle!

So I’ve now defeated the wet nurse and I’m a bit stuck as to where to go. I’m just bumbling around trying to find a new path and discovered a new lift in the lowest level of the loft area - the one with lots of pits in the ground. Anyway, a new lift has appeared - I’m sure it wasn’t there before - that takes you down into one of the pits. It’s connected to another one, so as one goes down the other comes up. Only, once it reaches the bottom there’s... nothing. It’s not even illuminated by the game engine, so equipping a torch doesn’t do anything. I don’t think it’s a bug, because you don’t clip through it, but at the same time it doesn’t seem right. Very strange. 

Really loving this so far. On the whole I'm finding it a lot easier than DS3, which I recently finished, but I still managed to get myself stuck for an hour or so by being a chicken. I was looking for something to do other than fighting Djura in Old Yharnam, who was repeatedly mullering me. I explored the nearby church and ended up running through and away from it to escape the many pursuers I'd alerted. I came to a ladder that led me up to a shortcut near the start of the church, and so I figured the only way ahead really was to go back and face Djura. After an hour of aimless roaming I realised that in my panic to reach a shortcut I'd missed a really obvious right turn just before it, leading to the next boss. :doh:

Edit: by the way, is it possible to parry this boss? Using the gun for parries clicked with me early on but there's still the odd enemy that doesn't seem to have a window for it...

I forget what Djura’s like, but the main boss of Old Yarnham can absolutely be parried - IIRC there’s this one big swing where he brings his arm back and that attack can be parried fairly reliably (although trying to maintain composure and time your shot is pretty nerve-wracking at first...)

28 minutes ago, Popo said:

I don’t think I could have done it without your help and encouragement, Squirtle!

So I’ve now defeated the wet nurse and I’m a bit stuck as to where to go. I’m just bumbling around trying to find a new path and discovered a new lift in the lowest level of the loft area - the one with lots of pits in the ground. Anyway, a new lift has appeared - I’m sure it wasn’t there before - that takes you down into one of the pits. It’s connected to another one, so as one goes down the other comes up. Only, once it reaches the bottom there’s... nothing. It’s not even illuminated by the game engine, so equipping a torch doesn’t do anything. I don’t think it’s a bug, because you don’t clip through it, but at the same time it doesn’t seem right. Very strange. 

Nightmare of Mensis spoilers. 

Spoiler

The upper most cage lift has an opening you can jump out of half way down that leads to a bridge with two Winter Lanterns. Get past them by running for it and using sedatives. Carry on then drop down a hole after killing some spiders. There's a multiplayer item in the chest across the way with another winter lantern, but out the door you'll find a lever. Pull it. Enjoy cut scene then go find it down in the dark pit you opened up. Just to advise, I can't remember if the lever is before or after you drop down the hole. Also once you head out, have a search around and you'll find a broken wall that you can drop down to corpse that has your first blood rock on it. +10 weapon here you come. 

After MWN Spoiler. 

Spoiler

That could be your last boss. Head back to the Hunter's Dream and you can now face Ghermin the first hunter. Accept to end the game or refuse to fight him. He's a great fight so, I'd refuse. Also, have you found and consumed three third umbilical cords? If you have fighting G will lead to another fight. If not, you'll get a different ending. 

Finally, if you have the DLC before you do the ending stuff, go do that, because it's amazing and has some of the best stuff in the game. 

12 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Nice one, thanks! I'll keep trying, then. The first form at least seems pretty simple... :)

Beasts hate fire and love those blood things you can throw. 

Also, I missed that right turn for ages as well. Something about it is really easy to miss. 

35 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Nightmare of Mensis spoilers. 

Hide contents

The upper most cage lift has an opening you can jump out of half way down that leads to a bridge with two Winter Lanterns. Get past them by running for it and using sedatives. Carry on then drop down a hole after killing some spiders. There's a multiplayer item in the chest across the way with another winter lantern, but out the door you'll find a lever. Pull it. Enjoy cut scene then go find it down in the dark pit you opened up. Just to advise, I can't remember if the lever is before or after you drop down the hole. Also once you head out, have a search around and you'll find a broken wall that you can drop down to corpse that has your first blood rock on it. +10 weapon here you come. 

After MWN Spoiler. 

Hide contents

That could be your last boss. Head back to the Hunter's Dream and you can now face Ghermin the first hunter. Accept to end the game or refuse to fight him. He's a great fight so, I'd refuse. Also, have you found and consumed three third umbilical cords? If you have fighting G will lead to another fight. If not, you'll get a different ending. 

Finally, if you have the DLC before you do the ending stuff, go do that, because it's amazing and has some of the best stuff in the game. 

Ive got the GOTY edition so yes I’ve got the DLC. How do you access it?

My progress from the forbidden woods:

First of all I went back in to explore the paths and loot I had missed, think I found everything so with that it was on to the next area that had opened up after the boss. The very first enemy encountered here was ferocious and terrifying, which led me to believe I’d chosen the wrong place to go - inched forwards all the same and found that for all the nastiness of the enemies, there weren’t many of them - and so I eventually made it to the boss of this area too.

Spoiler

Jeez, this fight was a slog - just an impenetrable wall of stone faced spiders. Lots of tips telling me to use bolt, but with only two bolt papers to my name I wasn’t about to squander them on an amateur attempt. So I went in to practice over and over, taking the NPC summon with me for a few attempts until I realized I was just wasting my insight. Not a lot to it as far as I could tell - on the second phase it was important to stay close to avoid triggering it’s ranged attack, but always ready to dodge back to escape it’s AoE attacks. It just took so damn long to get through the little spiders though that I couldn’t avoid making mistakes eventually.

I went back in the evening and found online help, they made short work of it but I don’t feel much shame due to the amount of time I’d spent on it already.

I was kind of at a loss after that, didn’t like the area it took me to next so I decided to go back to Old Yharnam and finally finish off the boss there. I think I’m over leveled for it now as it was a little hard to catch, but didn’t seem to be too dangerous either. So that was another one down.

What next then? I had met a villager in the woods and told him about the Oedon sanctuary, so I went back there to see if they’d give me a reward. Nobody there... like *nobody* there. Hmmm. And I found an open door that I definitely hadn’t seen before. That led to a nice little bit of exploring (including a very Demon’s Soulsish descent) in areas I thought I was already done with, that also got me to one bit of mysterious loot that had always puzzled me.

So now my choice is to go back to the nightmare frontier or the unseen village (where enemies seem to respawn infinitely - eurrgh no thanks).

edit - and reading back through the thread I see that @Popo beat the Byrgenwerth boss on the second attempt? Jeez, I suck.

@Darwock avoid Nightmare Frontier, it’s crap! I wasted hours there before giving up, since it’s optional. 

You should have gotten a special item from Rom that you can use elsewhere in the game. I don’t remember why, but as soon as I got it I knew where to take it. 

28 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I don’t think I did - I just got one of those blood echo items (a big one). Is this like the password debacle all over again...?

Actually I might be confusing the situation - but there is a new door open to you now...

Was there a place back in the Cathedral Ward with a conspicuously locked door, previously? ;)

After beating Rom, it takes you to the church just before Yaraghul. Head forward. See lots of big things on buildings. Keep heading down the steps. Try not to get picked up. Keep pushing forward. Tip: find the bell ringers and kill them as you go. Keep heading down into Yaraghul... 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Ive got the GOTY edition so yes I’ve got the DLC. How do you access it?

Go back to the first bonfire in cathedral ward, and head out the door to the left, as if going  to old town and Djura. Look up to the right. Say hello to Big A and move over to the corpse where you got some loot earlier and get picked up... 

Prepare for tough enemies, therefore cry. 

You’re not kidding! And the blood echoes aren’t particularly generous either. I thought I’d give it a go, to level up, but I ended up cought in a loop of continually losing echoes, so I knocked it on the head and went back to Gehman... and after eleventy million attempts he is finally down and the credits are rolling. A few lucky visceral attacks to really drain his health gave me the edge. 

It’s done!

Not the true ending, but after countless hours with this game I’m satisfied that I’ve seen enough. Time to give other games some of my spare time!

1 hour ago, Popo said:

You’re not kidding! And the blood echoes aren’t particularly generous either. I thought I’d give it a go, to level up, but I ended up cought in a loop of continually losing echoes, so I knocked it on the head and went back to Gehman... and after eleventy million attempts he is finally down and the credits are rolling. A few lucky visceral attacks to really drain his health gave me the edge. 

It’s done!

Not the true ending, but after countless hours with this game I’m satisfied that I’ve seen enough. Time to give other games some of my spare time!

No! No! No! The DLC is so good... Still, glad you finished it. If you're anything like me... You'll be back... 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

It’s done!

No no no. Get back to that DLC. Unless it's eating into Noita time in which case fair enough.

37 minutes ago, squirtle said:

You'll be back...

I can’t say with confidence this won’t be the case - the way the game just immediately takes you back to the beginning had me playing “just until I get to the first lamp”. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Popo said:

I can’t say with confidence this won’t be the case - the way the game just immediately takes you back to the beginning had me playing “just until I get to the first lamp”. :lol:

And if you go down to the sewers where the two rats are at the back, kill them and pick up the madman's knowledge to get some insight, you can go and summon Father Gascoigne from the fountain near the ogre and watch him go to town on The Cleric Beast. Which is surely worth a bit of your time... 

I love this game. I started another play of this today. Got everything ready to summon Father Gascoigne for the Cleric Beast fight, then we went to town on it. I placed all my upgrades into strength and had my saw cleaver at +2 already. The Cleric Beast was just destroyed by the two of us. It made me think that this is how the hunter's dealt with the beasts in the heart of the hunt. 

I’m on the brink of abandoning it for another year I think, right at the start of the unseen village.

There’s four scabby dudes at the top of some stairs, then another mob down at the bottom, with a... let’s call it a ‘trap’... half way down the stairs that I have to run past. In both the mobs at the top and bottom is a sniper. This would not be a problem if I could tackle them in small groups, but they respawn on quite a short timer. So if I clear out the guys at the top and try to lure the ones on the steps up without going into the trap, the ones at the top have respawned before I can make any progress. If I leg it down to the bottom I’m totally overwhelmed with fire bombs, blades and rifle shots in my back.

The only other path I can find leads to a lift that has to be operated from the other end. I’ve died here around a dozen times now and you don’t seem to get blood echoes of the respawning guys so it’s a completely wasted effort each time. This cannot be the right path?!

You’re on the right path @Darwock - you’re right, you don’t get souls from the respawning enemies, but there might be a way to stop them from respawning...!

Check out all the enemies in the area. There’s an audio cue to help you out. 

Cant believe I’m now in the position of helping others at this game given where I was when I first started playing. When I began I was but the apprentice - now I am the master! :lol:

You’re talking about the bell-ringer, right?

I did a suicide run and found her, killed her - thought “yay, now it will be easier.” I died, she respawned. Back to square one. There’s no benefit in being able to stop the respawning once I’ve already gotten past it! 

edit - fuck this! I made it all the way down to a gaggle of hemwick lane women, nearly died but cleared them all out by the skin of my teeth - then they respawned too - ran like the clappers into another area full of them, couldn’t find a way out and got nuked from above even as they hacked me to pieces.

”hidden path is effective” my arse.