Bloodborne - GOTD edition

I'll be honest, I thought the real Bloodborne was actually working out where to go. I got very confused when the Witches boss ended in a dead end, and had to look up where I was meant to go in a wiki.

On 02/03/2021 at 19:39, therearerules said:

I'm still just running past the sack guys because they kill me so easily, but the pigs are no problem.

If you can learn to take them on its well worth it as they are a great source of weapon upgrade materials. There is a technique for battering them before they can complete their charge up move. 

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Well, I'm not finding Rom fun at all. :(

Spoiler

Take out the spiders first then go ham even while she's disappearing. When she does the attack where shards fly from the sky, sprint left until it stops. You will do her in three phases. 

11 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Well, I'm not finding Rom fun at all. :(

Hints to make things a little easier:

Spoiler

Take out all (or most) of the spiders first, and do it again when they come back. Stay close to Rom when possible, because the close-range meteor attack and the explosion are both telegraphed and easy enough to avoid. If she teleports away, rush in to close the distance again. Put some bolt paper on.

E: @Marlew is right about the meteors from the sky, but if you stay close she won't do that attack, and I find the close-range meteors easier to deal with.

I'm doing all of that, but the spiders just clump together and front attacks do naff all damage. As soon as I go to town on them whilst evading their attacks I just get arcaned to death.

But even worse is having to plug through the initial phase, where there's no danger at all.

And worse than that is the thought of having to grind health vials. At that point I'll seriously consider just cheating 999 of them.

I should say I did actually just leave him and run around the nightmare realm, which was a lot of fun (despite the poison swamp!). Had to do it offline after the same player kept invading me though.

Also, there's a weird economy here- the enemies by the moonlit lake were all double hard bastards that took ages to kill. The enemies in the library however give more blood echos, and are dead easy.

9 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Had to do it offline after the same player kept invading me though.

Are you sure that was another player? There are 2 hunters in there, that can be a bastard if you end up there too early.

See, I thought those hunters were the invaders, killed both of them, and whilst rejoicing the actual invader came into view. We had a little bow off, but then I died. The next time they allowed me to recollect my blood echos before fighting again, real sportsmanlike.

Good news everyone! I summoned my brother and we stomped Rom into the ground. I didn't expect that cutscene, nor to wake up in the lecture hall foyer under Cthulu, but at least he still takes you there. Also picked up 35 blood vials in a chalice dungeon.

Yeah grinding for blood vials is one of the downsides to Bloodborne. If you are running low I would recommend just going and farming blood echoes from places like the university and buying vials from the messengers in the Hunters Dream. Also I assume you are aware but you can summon NPCs with Insight from preset locations - just before Rom there are some messengers to the left of the fog door where the NPC you can summon really helps to distract the spiders. Anyway keep an eye out as in solo play the NPCs can really help with the bosses. 

I hit another slow patch with my progress after getting to the unseen village. I absolutely hated the stress of trying to kill the bell-ringers, so I took a break and went to explore upper cathedral ward instead. Early attempts were very discouraging as those slow lantern holding guys could practically one hit me, especially the one with the scythe - then getting through that big chandelier room gave me huge anxiety (even after discovering the tactical uses of door frames). Once the shortcuts were all opened it was less daunting, so I spent a long time farming some of those blue eyed werewolves for chunks and echoes to get my blood vial supplies and weapons up to scratch.

Then it was on to the lumenflower gardens. I know the whole game so far is obviously stylistically Lovecraftian, but at this point it became so overt with all the cosmic horror and human worship of pan-dimensional entities and so on, that it’s kicked off a nostalgic resurgence of interest in all that stuff. I’m even listening to Metallica again, lol.

Ebrietas is what got me stuck again. It felt very similar to the Rom fight in as much as I knew what I had to do, but couldn’t sustain it for long enough without making mistakes (always fatal). I’ve been trying for a couple of weeks, tried regularly to summon up help which only succeeded twice (and my co-operators always died early on). I thought my time zone may be an issue so I stayed up super late last night to try and catch a busy time on the other side of the planet. It was busy alright, but everyone was requesting help and nobody was offering it. I helped five different people beat the boss in their game but couldn’t find anyone to help me with mine. Did get one eventually, but he died early again and seemingly didn’t ring his bell again.

So I tried to roll with just the NPC co-operator. He was good at taking the attention of Ebrietas to allow me to attack from behind, but if she kept on him he would die just like everyone else and then I would be screwed. I figured I had to out-damage him to keep her focused on me. Multiple attempts later I got tired of always getting hit by flailing tentacles and the head charge, so I just stood right in the danger zone under her head and button mashed blindly, spammed blood vials and that got her down to like an inch or so of health bar before she killed the NPC. From there I shot her from a distance with the repeating pistol like a coward, before running in for a desperate last few hits. Done.

That’s possibly the boss I’ve been stuck on longest in all my time with Demon’s, Dark and Bloodborne, which is a bit shameful I suppose as she’s not exactly a Capra Demon.

Nothing to keep me away from the unseen chapel now :( unless I try to make sense of all this chalice stuff?

I'm finding the upper chapel ward incredibly difficult- those brainsuckers are getting me constantly. I also feel bad about cheesing the wolves, but no way am I fighting multiple of them at the same time.

Tbh, I'm not a big fan of the bosses in Souls games, and this is no different. I loved exploring Cainhurst castle, but the boss is such an aggressive bastard I'm not sure I can be arsed fighting him. First it's a couples of minutes careful ledge dropping to get to him. Secondly because of the blood vials system you can't afford to give it your all every fight. I also beat the Nightmare Mensis midway boss by utterly cheesing his second phase (poison knives) and can only think that option was there for people like me.

But I'm definitely on the home stretch now- just got upper cathedral ward, and the last bosses of Nightmare Mensis and Castle Cainhurst to do.

All this talk about the Cathedral Ward reminds me that I found a locked door in there I never opened - there’s an area near the lantern, just after you find your first giant enemy, that’s off to the left through a gate you ca open and close, which opens out onto a vista. If you press in there are more giants and once you get past them there are some stairs going down, a room with lots of breakable pots and a door that’s locked from the other side. 

What’s in the other side?

@Popo In practice, nothing. You can't get through there. In reality, it's the other end of the bridge where you fight the Cleric Beast. One of many little puzzles that were never answered. 

Nothing left for me now except the nightmare frontier and nightmare of mensis - I went back to the frontier and explored far enough to kill the bell ringer. So this is where they put the poison swamp - I knew there had to be one somewhere.

Had an awful time after getting kicked into the swamp, used up my whole stock of antidotes and blood vials attempting to find a way out - even googled it for a walkthrough which just said ‘head up the ramp on the left’ - what effing ramp on the left!? Struggled on trying to escape the swamp and met a massive brain monster that killed me while I was trying to bold hunter out of there. From then it was mostly a lengthy quest to get my blood echoes back, which I did. Fast forward to meeting another brain monster up on a cliff that I dispatched safely, then I find a little cave with some loot and a message saying to step forward. okaaayyyy then. Fall back into the swamp in front of the first brain monster and lose everything again. This time I was not able to retrieve it.

I resorted to reading a guide from then on, screw getting stuck in the swamp again. I made it to the boss and killed it on maybe the 5th attempt (a couple ended in instant laser death as soon as I stepped into the arena).

So now I only have one area left - nightmare of mensis. What is this castle cainhurst everyone always mentions, does that come after?

Edited by Darwock
26 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Nothing left for me now except the nightmare frontier and nightmare of mensis - I went back to the frontier and explored far enough to kill the bell ringer. So this is where they put the poison swamp - I knew there had to be one somewhere.

Had an awful time after getting kicked into the swamp, used up my whole stock of antidotes and blood vials attempting to find a way out - even googled it for a walkthrough which just said ‘head up the ramp on the left’ - what effing ramp on the left!? Struggled on trying to escape the swamp and met a massive brain monster that killed me while I was trying to bold hunter out of there. From then it was mostly a lengthy quest to get my blood echoes back, which I did. Fast forward to meeting another brain monster up on a cliff that I dispatched safely, then I find a little cave with some loot and a message saying to step forward. okaaayyyy then. Fall back into the swamp in front of the first brain monster and lose everything again. This time I was not able to retrieve it.

I resorted to reading a guide from then on, screw getting stuck in the swamp again. I made it to the boss and killed it on maybe the 5th attempt (a couple ended in instant laser death as soon as I stepped into the arena).

So now I only have one area left - nightmare of mensis. What is this castle cainhurst everyone always mentions, does that come after?

This is why I always have Bolf Hunters Marks on my quick items list. Made a start on the DLC- really interesting first area, I like what they did with the place and loved seeing the hunter bastards hunt. Finding it weird difficulty wise- could trade blow for blow with the biggest of brutes, but then got pecked to death by crows.

22 hours ago, Marlew said:

@Popo In practice, nothing. You can't get through there. In reality, it's the other end of the bridge where you fight the Cleric Beast. One of many little puzzles that were never answered. 

It was openable in the beta apparently. I've never found any information on which side it opened from, but I'd guess the bridge side. If it opened from the Cathedral Ward side it wouldn't really have a purpose, as it's just another route back to an area you've already completed. Although I guess if you hadn't beaten Cleric Beast it might be a nasty surprise.

It seems like the most obvious answer is that originally it would have opened after defeating Cleric Beast, meaning that instead of having to beat Gascoigne to progress you just would have had to complete one of the two bosses in Central Yharnam in order to progress through the game. I wonder if it was locked to force you down the path that leads past the workshop tool that lets you use blood gems to avoid people missing it. 

59 minutes ago, joemul said:

No it's a compeltely optional area available much earlier. Definitely give it a visit.

Also, if you haven't already, do the DLC before moving on.

about that... I’m playing the free PSN version of Bloodborne - never actually purchased it myself, if I buy the DLC without owning the game it could get complicated when my subscription expires :/

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

about that... I’m playing the free PSN version of Bloodborne - never actually purchased it myself, if I buy the DLC without owning the game it could get complicated when my subscription expires :/

'm doing the same and was concerned that it might not work, but it's fine.

Yeah don't miss out on the DLC, its awesome. The bosses in it are great but rock hard, I needed help for most of them. As for the bosses in the main game I'm not a big fan, they mostly wail their huge arms around and the objective is to get up their arse and button mash. The attacks are much harder to read than other souls games and harder to dodge.

Darwock if you need any hints about getting to Cainhurst just ask. You probably already have the means, just check through your key items.