Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

25 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

But where’s the satisfaction in beating him like that? :(

I did beat him legitimately the first time I attempted the game a few years back. This time I was glad to avoid the rage. I don't tend to feel satisfaction in these situations, just a sense of relief when it's over and I don't have to do it again. :)

I tend to dislike videogame bosses in general - for me they're barriers to getting on with the exploration that I enjoy. I like the spectacle they present, just not the punishing difficulty spike that they can impose at times. I appreciate that I'm going to have to deal with them in a game like Bloodborne, but if I can make my life easier in any way, then I'm all for it.

13 minutes ago, squirtle said:

You only got to SOY last time, @FishyFish? The real Bloodborne hadn't even started by that point. 😉

And it might yet end at that point again. :lol:

I feel much better prepared this time though, and my cautious approach is paying off in how the game feels. There's still trepidation in entering new areas, but I'm dying a LOT less this time around (well, so far at least. Famous last words and all that...). 

Levelling up seems to be working ok with most of my focus being on vitality, strength, and dexterity, although I'm wondering if I should lift skill as well? It doesn't seem to benefit my use of the saw cleaver too much though.

25 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I did beat him legitimately the first time I attempted the game a few years back. This time I was glad to avoid the rage. I don't tend to feel satisfaction in these situations, just a sense of relief when it's over and I don't have to do it again. :)

I tend to dislike videogame bosses in general - for me they're barriers to getting on with the exploration that I enjoy. I like the spectacle they present, just not the punishing difficulty spike that they can impose at times. I appreciate that I'm going to have to deal with them in a game like Bloodborne, but if I can make my life easier in any way, then I'm all for it.

I’ll let you off, then :P

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

The sweet blood…oh, it sings to me…

I’m not sure if I want to play (and finally finish, maybe!) Bloodborne as a “goodbye PS4” or “Hello PS5” game. Is it updated any on PS5? 

Not that I know of, but the SSD means that loading times are dramatically reduced down to a few seconds.

54 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Not that I know of, but the SSD means that loading times are dramatically reduced down to a few seconds.

Might be worth waiting until I get a ps5 just for that, to be honest - likely to be staring at a loading screen a lot… :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I was going to take a break after doing back to back Elden Ring, DS2 and DS3 but I couldn't resist a quick bash on Bloodborne. Well...that turned into a nice time exploring Yarnham and killing the Cleric Beast on my first go, levelling up at the Hunter's Dream and then turning it off feeling a bit queasy because the 30fps is making my eyes go funny :wacko:

I've realised that, after getting further than the first time that I played (I'm at Forsaken Cainhurst Castle at present), that I can't really be bothered playing any more. The constant fighting is wearing me down as I'm not finding it enjoyable. Having to be on my guard all the time because even enemies that I can easily take out can still ruin me if I'm not paying attention. Apart from BSB, Rom and One Reborn, I've killed every boss first go this time through, and those three I did on the second attempt, but I'm taking no pleasure in beating them - they're just annoying barriers to my progress. Plus the boss of Cainhurst has a what feels like a five mile hike from the torch to reach him. He nailed me in about three hits and I turned the PS5 off because I simply couldn't be arsed to make my way back to him again.

I know complaining about the difficulty of From games is a well worn argument, but I just wish I could put it on easy-mode to see out the rest of the story. As it is I'm likely to pack it in because I'm now just finding it tedious, with everything taking me longer than I have patience for.

Some notes about Forsaken Castle Cainhurst:

Spoiler

The area is optional - you can make progress elsewhere and maybe come back later

Also from a personal perspective

Spoiler

That area has one of the hardest bosses in the game, with the exception of the final boss and maybe some chalice/DLC boys. Even when I've made progress through everything else in the base game and am at the door of the final boss, I can go back to Cainhurst and it still isn't a free win.

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

From games do have adjustable difficulty - it’s your stats, you gear, your weapons. The more you invest, the easier it gets. It’s far less arbitrary than a simple menu choice.

622466101_ThorunsureaboutFrom.jpg.cf88724b54f9854051b3b64443e4976e.jpg

With the exception of sekiro - that’s absolutely true. 

It’s the hardest game you’ll ever beat because all of that is the release valve that makes it easier and easier till you can just squeak by and beat it. 

it’s a unique type of game, and whilst that’s hugely devisive , there are like 6 of them, vs approximately 10,000 other games with standard difficulty levels. 

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Some notes about Forsaken Castle Cainhurst:

Reveal hidden contents

The area is optional - you can make progress elsewhere and maybe come back later

Also from a personal perspective

Reveal hidden contents

That area has one of the hardest bosses in the game, with the exception of the final boss and maybe some chalice/DLC boys. Even when I've made progress through everything else in the base game and am at the door of the final boss, I can go back to Cainhurst and it still isn't a free win.

I might head over to Nightmare Frontier instead and see how that goes. I'm not feeling much inspiration to do so though.

I did type that earlier post in a bit of a strop, if I'm being honest, but From are taking the piss with the distance between the lamp and the boss in this case, which consists of:

1. Load at the lamp
  2. Run through the snow.
  3. Pull the lever and wait for the lift.
  4. Ride the lift.
  5. Run through the big room full of ghost women.
  6. Climb a ladder while being hit by knives.
  7. Run through a library,
  8. Climb a spiral staircase.
  9. Cross a roof.
  10. Drop down onto another roof.
  11. Climb round a turret.
  12. Drop down and run along a roof.
  13. Drop onto another turret.
  14. Drop down and run along another roof.
  15. Climb a ladder.
  16. Run up another roof.
  17. You have reached your destination.
  18. YOU DIED!
  19. GOTO 1

On 21/06/2020 at 23:57, Doctor Shark said:

Briefly watched a guy do a no-damage run earlier. He didn't even get his gun from Hunter's dream, just picked up a spear he found on the way and went straight for Gasgoine, killing him without getting hit. I then went to fight him myself and died about 5 times before turning it off in frustration. Bloodborne feels a lot more unfair than dark souls ever did, at times. 

Hello me, from just under two years ago. It’s you, but from the future. You were wrong. Oh, so wrong. But it’s okay, you’ve learnt. You’re better now. See, From released a new game called Elden Ring and you clicked with it in a way you haven’t since Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls 1 back in the day. It’s a great game and it made you drastically rethink your opinion and approach to the games that’s led you to the point where I am today. 

For instance, you just killed Gasgoine on your second go! You basically gave up at him last time you played so Well done, be proud. It’s a great fight. You struggled getting the parry timing down a bit, especially in the second phase, but it’s ok, you got there and pretty cleanly, too! Nice work. Oh hey, I even recorded it, just to show you how much you’ve improved since the last time you played. Oh, by the way: 2021 wasn’t much better than 2020 and I didn’t think to remember any lottery numbers. Sorry about that. 

Bizarrely I find Bloodborne to be the easiest of the lot. I thought Father Gascoigne was a mini boss or something.  It suits my mega aggressive play style really well. Once I got the big ass claymoreesque sword it was plain sailing.

9 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Bizarrely I find Bloodborne to be the easiest of the lot. I thought Father Gascoigne was a mini boss or something.  It suits my mega aggressive play style really well. Once I got the big ass claymoreesque sword it was plain sailing.

Yeah the playstyle I adopted in Elden Ring (2 hander, no shield, aggressive) when compared to how I used to play Souls games (shield, super defensive) has meant I've definitely come round to Bloodborne's approach. For example in the past I've approached the big bonfire surrounded by enemies with caution, trying to eek them out one or two at a time. This time, though? Fuck it, I just charged right into the middle of the lot of them and cut them all down no bother. I'm also parrying the big giant dudes every single time, whereas I'd always either avoid them or get into a knock down battle of attrition with them. Now it's parry - visceral attack - dead. Easy peasy.

Thematically Bloodborne has always been the one I've liked the most and I've been really looking forward to playing it after DS2 and 3, knowing that I finally 'got' them, too but, for some reason, it's taken until now to actually gel with the Bloodborne gameplay. But man, have I taken to it. I am rushing round like a madman hacking stuff to bits. In fact, the only thing in the world that's killed me so far is the hunter with the minigun on the roof and only because another hunter knocked me out from behind cover and I got gunned down. Actually, I've only died twice up until Old Yarnham - once to Father Gasgoine and once to minigun Mike. It feels like I've missed loads of Cathedral Ward, though - I haven't found a boss or anything yet although there's a few doors I can't open yet.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Oh gods no, I'm balls deep in the game now. I'll just buy it again when the remaster comes out and play it again then :P

That sounds like the most sensible solution tbh

Spoiler

Cue the remaster being announced on the very next State of Play :lol:

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That sounds like the most sensible solution tbh

Reveal hidden contents

Cue the remaster being announced on the very next State of Play :lol:

Hey, if me playing it helps that along through some fated cosmic force then I'm happy to help! :D 

So what are we thinking? From remaster a la Dark Souls Remastered, or Bluepoint remaster a la Demon's Souls? I kinda want to see a Bluepoint version, From aren't exactly known for their technical prowess and Demon's looks INCREDIBLE. I'd love to see Bloodborne in that engine.