Jump to content
IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition


MW_Jimmy
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 04/04/2022 at 23:49, El Spatula said:

Bizarrely I find Bloodborne to be the easiest of the lot. I thought Father Gascoigne was a mini boss or something.  It suits my mega aggressive play style really well. Once I got the big ass claymoreesque sword it was plain sailing.

 

Yeah I’m with you on that, I found bloodborne easier for the exact same reason, it rewarded jumping in and smacking down enemies. 
 

Except for Rom. I hated Rom. Really, really hated Rom. The hardest mandatory boss in any From game by a margin for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FishyFish said:

So, that's that then.

 

Got right to the end and went to fight Gehrman. Got to his dialogue choice and accepted my fate by mistake. Tried to quit to see if it would rescue the save but it just skipped the cutscene and went to the titles. 🤬

 

Oh well, I'd have beaten him first try I'm sure. :lol:


Might be worth checking when your cloud save was updated. I did a bit of tactical save swapping between local and cloud to get all the endings (I had turned off auto-update but there is often a lag).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

@FishyFish Doubt you want to hear this but that’s a real shame. Gehrman is one of my favourite From boss fights. Might be too late now but you could try to download your PSN cloud save, overwriting your local save. 

 

1 hour ago, carlito said:


Might be worth checking when your cloud save was updated. I did a bit of tactical save swapping between local and cloud to get all the endings (I had turned off auto-update but there is often a lag).

 

Thanks both.

 

Sadly, it seems that, despite me having played the game for several weeks, there are no save files for Bloodborne in my cloud storage. The last PS4 save file is from February when I played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I checked the PS5 saves as well, just in case, but the last one there is for Cyberpunk, which I was playing before I stated on Bloodborne.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got back to this tonight - my gaming time last few days has mostly been spent on Spider-Man Remastered. Good progress, too: went to nightmare frontier and beat Amygdala first go, then went into the nightmare of mensis, fought some spiders, fought some weird little knights and then got to Micolash…

 

…this boss is a joke, right? I beat him first go and he barely touched me. I spent more time running around like an idiot trying to find him after I’d got him to half health than actually fighting him. 
 

I made a little vid of the last half of the fight (cutting out all the running about)

 


Level 112, 50 vigor, 53 skill, 35 endurance, +9 Pimp Cane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Finally got back to this tonight - my gaming time last few days has mostly been spent on Spider-Man Remastered. Good progress, too: went to nightmare frontier and beat Amygdala first go, then went into the nightmare of mensis, fought some spiders, fought some weird little knights and then got to Micolash…

 

…this boss is a joke, right? I beat him first go and he barely touched me. I spent more time running around like an idiot trying to find him after I’d got him to half health than actually fighting him. 
 

I made a little vid of the last half of the fight (cutting out all the running about)

 


Level 112, 50 vigor, 53 skill, 35 endurance, +9 Pimp Cane. 

A fellow Cane user.

One of the finest armaments is gaming history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Doctor Shark
 

In the next area just past Micolash you have one of the best places for collecting Blood Echoes (in the base game, at least.) Take out the pigs and a familiar trio and you’ll earn about 50k, and then you can rest and do it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Darwock said:

You ever consider maybe that’s why you think the bosses seem like a joke?


Only Ron the vacuumed spider and Micolash and not because they lacked challenge but because they didn’t do much. I don’t see how they’d have been any more difficult if I was half my level - apart from that one magic attack I didn’t recognise, Micolash didn’t even hit me.
 

Other bosses have been challenges and either been a good, fun one and done fight (most recently amygdala which was a fun fight) or taken two goes to understand the fight and get it down, regardless of whatever level I was at the time, but Ron and Mick just seemed like they were bosses only in name and perhaps aren’t meant to pose much of a challenge, lorewise. I don’t know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many people have and do struggle on those bosses though. I guess everyone has their own experience with it. I personally hated Rom with a passion because I always got bogged down with the little ones. I couldn’t do enough damage on the boss herself to end the fight quickly enough.

 

A friend of mine started going through Elden Ring recently, I was talking to him about it avoiding spoilers and he said he likes to go into areas where a foot soldier takes as much effort as a boss, and enjoys being hopelessly outmatched. That’s similar to how I play. I asked if he had fought any bosses yet, and he was like “not yet - building my stats up to a good base level before I start doing dungeons  - got endurance 30, arcane 20, high dex…” - this was all before doing the very first boss. Strong cognitive dissonance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Level 112 is ridiculous for this part of the game! 

If I remember correctly Rom is much easier on your first try as it is initially immobile and you can get damage in. On repeat goes it is already swarmed by the little ones making it a bit harder. I still find it pretty straightforward now but struggled first time through. 
 

Similarly with Microlash - that magic attack can cause a lot of damage and basically one shot you at a lowish level. But once you know how to avoid that and the arm tentacle the hardest thing is remembering how to catch him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

@Doctor Shark
 

In the next area just past Micolash you have one of the best places for collecting Blood Echoes (in the base game, at least.) Take out the pigs and a familiar trio and you’ll earn about 50k, and then you can rest and do it again.

 

And you don't even have to fight them. Just make the introductions. 

 

"Pig, these are the Shadows of Yharnam. Shadows, this is Pig...WHOAH! Calm down lads!"

 

:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:


Only Ron the vacuumed spider and Micolash and not because they lacked challenge but because they didn’t do much. I don’t see how they’d have been any more difficult if I was half my level - apart from that one magic attack I didn’t recognise, Micolash didn’t even hit me.
 

Other bosses have been challenges and either been a good, fun one and done fight (most recently amygdala which was a fun fight) or taken two goes to understand the fight and get it down, regardless of whatever level I was at the time, but Ron and Mick just seemed like they were bosses only in name and perhaps aren’t meant to pose much of a challenge, lorewise. I don’t know. 


Micolash’s magic attack is basically a one-shot at lower levels, and really hard to avoid. He’s a complete git. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never got very far in this, despite really enjoying it.  Mainly because the PS4 was connected to the big telly and it was hard to find time to play it when my missus wanted to watch tv.  I really want to come back to it after I finish Elden Ring.  Can't decide whether to start again or carry on with my old save.  I remember finding the first level really difficult, and it taking me ages to unlock the shortcuts, but maybe I need to go through that again to remind myself how to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

Many people have and do struggle on those bosses though. I guess everyone has their own experience with it. I personally hated Rom with a passion because I always got bogged down with the little ones. I couldn’t do enough damage on the boss herself to end the fight quickly enough.

 

A friend of mine started going through Elden Ring recently, I was talking to him about it avoiding spoilers and he said he likes to go into areas where a foot soldier takes as much effort as a boss, and enjoys being hopelessly outmatched. That’s similar to how I play. I asked if he had fought any bosses yet, and he was like “not yet - building my stats up to a good base level before I start doing dungeons  - got endurance 30, arcane 20, high dex…” - this was all before doing the very first boss. Strong cognitive dissonance.


Ah see I just ignored the little ones and went straight for Rom, only killing little ones if they were surrounding me and stopping me moving. With Micolash he only does four attacks and three of them are super easy to read and avoid: punches, a grab and his tentacle hand. The only one I didn’t work out how to avoid (because he only did it once and I wasn’t expecting it) was his magic one. If you saw my vid I posted of the fight you’ll see the magic attack is the only one that actually hit me (I think, I can’t quite remember). My level has nothing to do with that, really, that’s just me being able to read him quite easily, whereas there are other bosses I couldn’t read well at all (e.g. Praal, even though I beat him first go he hit me a lot). 
 

As I said in another thread what I like about these games is that initial feeling of hopelessness and how weak you are, but gradually becoming more and more powerful to the point where you can smash stuff. That seems especially true in this game as you are, after all, a Hunter. And a Hunter must hunt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

@Doctor Shark
 

In the next area just past Micolash you have one of the best places for collecting Blood Echoes (in the base game, at least.) Take out the pigs and a familiar trio and you’ll earn about 50k, and then you can rest and do it again.


By the sounds of it based on what everyone in here is saying about my level, I don’t need any more blood echoes :lol:

 

Going from skill 50 to 53 I think my damage went up by 1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:


By the sounds of it based on what everyone in here is saying about my level, I don’t need any more blood echoes :lol:

 

Going from skill 50 to 53 I think my damage went up by 1. 

 

Ah yes, you'll be fine.

 

I think I generally have Vitality, Endurance and (whatever play style I've focused on) at 50, but this is for "end of the base game / preparing for the DLC areas"... :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some great progress tonight:

 

Celestial Emissaries DEAD (1 try)

Ebrietas Daughter of the Cosmos DEAD (1 try) 

Mergo’s Wet Nurse DEAD (2 tries) 

 

Here are my stats with my new +10 threaded cane:

 

E9AD4EFF-C10F-4454-B361-90DB8A627467.thumb.jpeg.3b11df024f96966d9fc29598efbaac60.jpeg

 

MAKE CONTACT!

 

83B34E56-A87D-4C26-888E-B0A2EB9D484E.thumb.jpeg.03d5c19454725332ff938bc363d5dcd3.jpeg

 

MAKE CONTACT PART 2!

 

Spoiler

43E14297-C141-41BC-9350-FE729AAF0193.thumb.jpeg.fd3ace3af98ccf20412131ebf37a8119.jpeg


Went back to the Hunter’s Dream and..well, shit…

 

Spoiler

526E65BD-9F30-4B31-B372-EA64D479505B.thumb.jpeg.f114429b4999fee5c05a25ff883d0163.jpeg


I’m going to do the DLC over the weekend and then finish up the game from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, therearerules said:

Yeah, I got absolutely demolished by Rom. It was the magic in the third act which did it. Stopped me taking out the spider babies, which then prevented me from attacking. Real roadblock.


You never need to kill any of the spider babies. Just run and dodge!

 

”just” of course, is an over-simplification. But yeah, I never kill the babies. And when the magic rains down, you run diagonally to the side towards the boss. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rom is the one boss where everyone has their own advice and all of it works, or not. Having done playthroughs with multiple characters and rinsed the boss a few times, I know that:

  • It's easy to see where the air meteors are coming from and avoid them
  • The air meteors are hard to avoid so you're better off getting close and triggering the ground meteors
  • You can fight Rom without killing its babies
  • Its babies are annoying so it's worth killing them all so that you're just left with Rom

Advice for every occasion. :hat: And this isn't me poking holes at other people's comments, this is stuff that I wrote down and crossed out for my own purpose...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing to bear in mind for Rom is you can massively reduce the damage caused by the air meteors by wearing the outfit you find almost immediately before them (I think maybe it’s the White Church outfit).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.