rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

Remember you can top it up with the madman's knowledge item.

My counter has also gone up without me visiting a boss or using items.. So it seems some enemies net you insight (or maybe it's like DkS1 where fighting through areas eventually grants you a point occasionally.

Im in the low 60's I think, so we are matched, will PM

I'm still not entirely convinced on the level range thing, purely because my health always changes to a much lower max when I help someone... I don't doubt there is some sort of level restriction, but I think there's more at play that people won't have worked out in under a week..

Well took the special invitation at the crossroads and ended up in a lovely but deadly new area. The boss there is absolutely brutal.

Your health is always reduced when you're summoned.

Has it always worked like that, I mean even in the older games? It seems a bit daft. I mean what's gonna happen in the late game? I'll get summoned and still get a level 10 hp meter? Seems harsh :(

God the Bonfireside chat thing is whiney.

Man I used to really like that podcast but eventually just got bored. Are they whining about the game or do you literally just mean their tone(s) of voice(s)?

I've listened to about half of it and they were very positive, I guess Mrs Horribleman is just a big racist.

So far I'm not having all that much fun with this game and it feels like I'm the only one who isn't. The pieces are all there but somehow it isn't adding up for me.

The first real problem I had was with the first boss (Cleric Dude or whatever his name was) and his almighty health bar. Despite playing the entire Souls series I for some reason thought this game with it's faster pace of play would be dexterity's time to shine, so I started off with the pimp cane. This weapon combined with the waste of skin origin yields R1 attacks that do about 25 damage or something like that, making this is a painfully long fight of Monster Hunter proportions. And it's painful for other reasons too. The lock on camera is ruined by a combination of the boss and arena sizes. I had more than half his health off on the first attempt when I rolled into a corner and got sandwiched by the boss with a camera that wouldn't let me anything other than his feet and the top of my head, and death followed pretty shortly. I shot him with my gun a couple of times which not only didn't stagger him, but didn't even register as a zero damage hit so I figured that was useless. I would later learn that you can stagger him with repeated shots to the head. I threw a tub of oil followed by a molotov at him, which did good damage but I would be out oil long before the fight was over so I figured I may as well save the resource. Again, I would later learn that repeated molotovs would stagger this boss. When I beat this boss I felt like I had overcome a walking health bar rather than a challenge. Thankfully I was able to prove to myself that I wasn't completely shit by beating Daddy G on the first go with a couple of upgrades and levels under my belt.

So it took me four or five goes to get right in the end, and I was out of potions after the second go. I would love to know why they chose to make this a finite resource that you have to farm if you run out, but still let you carry twenty of the damn things at a time. It's like they're trying to discourage these boss slogs that just come down to attrition but still end up encouraging them anyway. I don't get the reasoning behind getting your health back after you get hit either. The best thing it does is allow you to not get fucked by the amazingly frequent times when you stagger an enemy and trade a hit with them anyway. Otherwise it seems to encourage mashing R1 after you get hit, which will either do you no good (it's still a souls game after all) or you get to mash through a non-threatening enemy like they're not there. If you're more cautious, you end up getting a sliver or two health back every now and then which is small potatoes when you can carry 20 health vials. The whole system seems just a little bit messed up to me.

I'm sure there's been plenty of harping on the technical side of the game, but it's been jarring to go back to 30 fps with drops after getting used to the series on PC. I find the drop annoying particularly because to my eyes it looks like a bit of a dogs dinner, loads of frivilious little details everywhere that add nothing but aliasing and weird shiny bits that catch the light in strange ways. It still has a solid and congruous design which is a series trademark at this point, but I feel the extra bells and whistles add nothing.

I know this is a load of nits to pick, but it all adds up. I've done three bosses now and I'm forcing myself on in the hope that it turns a corner.

• Upvote 5

Gazza is down!! Must've taken 20 attempts and pretty much all morning but wow, what a good feeling

Willei, I reckon that's a fair critique of the health vial situation.

They should have either made them dirt cheap or just done away with them altogether and continued with Etsus. Dark Souls 1 had it down. Having to farm between boss attempts isn't fun.

I'd follow the recommendation others have mentioned of getting confident against bosses (not using vials and not attacking to begin with) before you have a proper go at them with vial use.

I've found with this, that a lot of people (not all) who are finding it tough/a disappointment are comparing it way too much to previous Souls games. Its understandable as a lot is still similar, but it is its own beast. Those bemoaning the lack of a shield/magic/variation, its a more action orientated adventure. Jumping in for one or two hits and paying enemies too much respect isn't the way forward, get in there and dance with the fuckers.

This video gives a good example (Spoilered due to boss, its BSB):

That is, in general, how I've been approaching it. Pressure on everything, only backing out if I desperately need to heal. Duck and weave. Its a bloody boxing sim.

• Upvote 2

Jumping in for one or two hits and paying enemies too much respect isn't the way forward, get in there and dance with the fuckers.

Yeah I would agree with this - I seem to have more success when I just go for it and try and get the fight done rather than resorting to classic Souls tactics of playing defensively. There seems to be even less room for error in this than previous games and the windows to attack are shorter, but the longer the fight drags on the more likely you are to slip up.

That's not to say that you should throw caution to the wind, but when you attack you need to be decisive.

Has it always worked like that, I mean even in the older games? It seems a bit daft. I mean what's gonna happen in the late game? I'll get summoned and still get a level 10 hp meter? Seems harsh :(

I think it's a replacement for the inability to heal when summoned. Your health when summoned also seems to increase with your bit so I guess it's a percentage of your overall health.

Not been able to play since Friday (so frustrating) so just catching up on the thread and really looking forward to going back in today. I'm quite sure Gazza will wind me up further!

And Timmo, I picked the saw spear up in game, didn't need to buy it. Was

hanging from the rafters near the sewers.

I think it's a replacement for the inability to heal when summoned. Your health when summoned also seems to increase with your bit so I guess it's a percentage of your overall health.

Possibly. But I've levelled a fair bit since I starting Bloodbro'ing, my HP bar is right now about 50% size when I join someone. I admittedly haven't been paying proper attention, but it doesn't seem to have changed much since my first coop, even though I've purely levelled Vit since then, pretty much.

Ho hum. Doesn't matter really.

Have you fought the vicar yet? There's a video in an earlier post (or through the channel link in my sig) of me fighting it in co-op at SL50ish which you could compare to your health when summoned?

Gazza

Daddy G

Gazza

Can we please have a forum agreement to refer to this guy as Sweet Daddy G?

• Upvote 1

Not been able to play since Friday (so frustrating) so just catching up on the thread and really looking forward to going back in today. I'm quite sure Gazza will wind me up further!

Some Gazza (Sweet Daddy G) tips that can level the playing field (without being spoilery - spoilered anyway):

• He has more than one form - but both can be tackled with circle strafing left and quick attacks. Just don't get greedy with too many quick swings per attack, or you'll prompt his gun counter.
  • Look around the arena, the graveyard isn't the only place you can fight him.
  • There is a story pick-up that you might already have in your possession that can help weaken him - check your item descriptions. Not essential though.
  • If all else fails, he can be cheesed a bit on the gravestones, but it's hit and miss, far from foolproof and the routine way is quite easy. Just give yourself space to manoeuvre.
  • Upvote 1

or why not just 'cunt'?

I'm referring to Sweet Daddy G by the way :)

I nearly had him earlier... he had about 2 percent left on his health bar, and then i get caught on a gravestone and he mauls my face off.

Tonight.... your ass is mine Sweet Daddy G

or why not just 'cunt'?

Same thing, pretty much

EDIT: nah, that might be a bit harsh

So when you are summoned to help someone, you can't heal yourself. is that right?

I prefer rear visceral attack on the giant piggy tbh. HOT.

That was the scariest thing i've yet to see in bloodborne

Gazza fight is much easier if you lure him up to the raised area at the the rear of the level. Get your right hand weapon up to +3 by farming if your damage output is weak, and just get in close and only stop hitting him to let your stamina recharge. It's easy to stagger him and backstab him. For his second form, around four molotovs finished him off for me.